Help with NYC hotel choice

Oct 16th, 2000, 01:03 PM
Sara

Help with NYC hotel choice

My husband, college age son and I are visiting NYC for the Christmas holiday. We are trying to decide between the Washington Square Hotel and the Chelsea Savoy. I have heard that the WS has been renovated? Anyone with advice about these two?

thank you!

Oct 16th, 2000, 01:24 PM
tweedy

Sara, I would go with the WS. It is a nice hotel and right in the heart of the Village. You son will love it's proximity to New York University. There are lots of good restaurants in the area, cafes, fast food, shopping, delis, and close to transportation.

Hope this helps.

tweedy

Oct 16th, 2000, 03:23 PM
Anthony

Sara:
I would agree with the previuos poster. The Washington Sq. has much more atmosphere and is locatedin a much better location, being in the heart of the West Village. The Chelsea Savoy is @23rd St & 7th Ave; it is in a relatively new building, but from the outside it's not very plesant looking; it looks more like a Nursing Home. I'm sure the rooms are fine, but the better choice is WS. You will be 1 blk away from a major subway stop - West 4th St, where you can pick up several different lines.
And yes, you son should love the neighborhood.
There are many excellant restaurants within a couple of blocks from that hotel; in fact right across the St. is Babbo, a very hot and supposedly very good food. also check out Cornelia St., which is 2 blcoks away. In a one block stretch between W 4th St. and Bleeker St . ther are several very good restaurants with wonderful atmosphere.

Oct 16th, 2000, 04:12 PM
Marlena

Washington Square is the better bet, but I live in Chelsea and put my relatives up in the Savoy whenever they come into town; it's nothing special but it's clean and not expensive. It would be an great second choice if the Wash. Square is booked. Chelsea has many wonderful restaurants but the Wash. Sq. wins on charm and location.

Oct 17th, 2000, 10:49 AM
Sara

Thank you all so much! You really helped so much. We will definitely go to the WS! Would tickets to the Blue Man Group be a good idea?

Search this Thread