Search

Help with NYC Hotel

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7th, 2007, 06:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with NYC Hotel

Advice please on hotels for my family's first time trip to NYC June 28 with two teenage sons. Flying into LaGuardia. Thinking we will need to spend $300+ night. We want to see a Broadway show and the usual first time sights. Son also wants to see NYU. Would 4 nights be adequate - I'd prefer 5 but the others vote for 4. I've been reading a lot of info here. Thanks in advance.

Hotel Belvedere - sounds great, but undergoing renovations - noisy?
Marriott Marquis - could use member points
Hilton Times Square -
Doubletree Times Square -
Rihga Royal - called the London now - recommended by a coworker - not sure if this is right for a family.

Or the Battery Park area?
Embassy Suites Hotel NY -
Ritz Carlton Battery Park - the first night is $500 but goes down to $299.

Thank you!

Old Jun 7th, 2007, 07:21 AM

The NYT just reviewed the London this past Sunday, it seems to be an all-suite hotel and reasonably priced, so it might be great for a family...
http://tinyurl.com/2a3bg8
Old Jun 7th, 2007, 07:24 AM

I would try the financial district especially over the weekend. Try the Marriot downtown and go directly to their individual website. They have several specials that can be appealing. Also, it is conveniently located to battery park, soho, china town, the village and a quick subway ride up 8th Avenue to Times Square. The only place that is inconvenient is the East Side and Museum Row.
Old Jun 7th, 2007, 07:40 AM
GoTravel

The London or the Ritz-Carlton.

None of your others are in the same class as those two.

Old Jun 7th, 2007, 08:02 AM

My family used to stay at the Rihga Royal when it was the Rihga Royal and loved it for the space, the location the fact that it was a suite hotel. Then the last time they stayed there when it was transitioning to the London and they hated the room they were given. The sofa was hard. They had done away with the bathtub. My mother likes to take baths so she doens't mess up her hair. What can I say she is Southern and of a certain age.

Now we are searching for a hotel to replace the Rihga Royal and haven't found it.
Old Jun 7th, 2007, 09:39 AM
TC

I think the DoubleTree would be the best for a family. Much more space to spread out. Good location right in the heart of the action with excellent subway access. Have a look at www.quickbook.com and do a "shortcut" search for all suite hotels in NY.
Old Jun 7th, 2007, 03:24 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies so far. In looking at the London, it appears it might be a bit too formal for my big sons.
Does anyone know about the Belvedere's renovations?
Other suggestions? I was just reading about the Benjamin which sounds like a possibility.
Thank you for any advice.
Old Jun 7th, 2007, 04:04 PM

clairessa: We have stayed at the Embassy Suites located on the water front lower Manhattan Battery Park area and were pleased. With two teenage sons you might want to keep in mind that there is a full breakfast included and evening reception if you are around (drinks and snacks) all part of the cost per night - good value for your $'s.

Taxi's line up right outside the hotel and subway not far away. Loved walking along the river.

Do post out where you stayed and how it all worked out.

Sandy
Old Jun 7th, 2007, 07:53 PM

The Embassy Suites is nice but runs very high, IMO. You can stay midtown for 50-100 less which more than pays for breakfast and you will save on cab fare, too.
Check out the Affinia properties.
They are all suites and the kitchen comes in handy, even if you do not plan on cooking.
Without really looking too hard, it looks like there are some great rates to be had during this period.
AFFINIA 50
THE SURREY
AFFINIA MANHATTAN
EASTGATE TOWER
SHELBURNE MURRAY HILL
AFFINIA GARDENS
THE BENJAMIN
AFFINIA DUMONT
Be sure you look at the prices for each day. It looks like the prices are higher for the 28th and then drop significantly starting the 29th.
Old Jun 8th, 2007, 03:10 AM

With 2 teenage boys, a suite is really best unless you plan on getting 2 separate rooms at a regular hotel. But thinking about it, if the boys are big, even a 1 bedroom suite may be tight. So depending on what sort of bed configuration you want:

I agree the Affinia hotels are terrific but 2 bedroom suites there are pricey. Some of their hotels (like the Affinia Dumont) have 1 bedroom suites with 2 queen beds in the bedroom and a double/queen sofabed in the living room.

The Doubletree Guest Suites in TS is very convenient but all their suites are 1 bedroom I think. One option you might check is the Regency Hotel has some family suites that are essentially 2 connecting rooms. That might work best. And if you can use points at a Marriott and can manage 2 rooms, almost any of their hotels (including the Courtyards which is mostly terrific) would work. The Marriott Marquis rooms are a good size with floor to ceiling windows and good views.

As to how long, it seems a shame for you to miss the 4th of July fireworks in NYC. If you delay your departure a few days and stay over the 4th, I think hotel prices will be a bit lower too.

Btw, the Belvedere is just a basic budget hotel. Unless the prices are a real bargain, I'd give it a miss. I also think for a first time trip, staying in or near midtown (vs. all the way downtown) will be more convenient.
Old Jun 8th, 2007, 03:12 AM

williamscb13, have you tried the Blakely? They have some nice 1 bedroom suites. If you're looking for good tubs, the Michelangelo has them.
Old Jun 8th, 2007, 04:59 AM

Thanks for the tip. I'll check those hotels out.
Old Jun 8th, 2007, 06:47 AM
TC

A note on the Blakely: I just spent several days there in a one-bedroom suite. I had stayed at the Blakely before and love the location and staff. However, due to this being an old building (as are most hotels in NY) the air-con is completely inadequate in the one-bedroom suites. There are only air-con units in the bedrooms, then fans in the ceiling are "supposed" to pull the cool air around the rest of the suite. They don't do the job! By the time two of us had showered, we could never do hair and make-up in the bath because it would be so hot that one would need an additional shower after getting ready. We repeatedly complained to managment, who I must say were quite kind - sending someone to look at our air-con every time - but in the end, they admitted that its "just the way the suites are". I'm sorry -- I just can't recommend the one-bedroom suites at the Blakely although I would have no problem giving their other rooms high marks.
Old Jun 8th, 2007, 07:57 AM

so do you think the air conditioning works in the two bedroom suites at the Blakely? or is the air conditioning old in the whole hotel?

the search goes on.
Old Jun 8th, 2007, 08:13 AM

Have you checked to see if any of these places actually have availablity? I started looking in late March for a place for our family to stay in mid-July and all of the places highly recommended on this board were already fully booked. I found availablity at the Embassy Suites (we are a family of 5). I booked it as a fall back, then kept the reservation after I read favorable reviews on trip advisor. Good luck!

By the way, I stayed at the Mariott Marquis once when I was in town for business. The room was fine for only me, but would have felt cramped with even one other person. I think you'd need 2 rooms there.
Old Jun 8th, 2007, 09:23 AM
Original Poster

You're very helpful. The Affinia hotels sound great. I had not heard of them. Not much available for the entire stay though. The Marriott Marquis looks like a possibility. I can't get a guarantee for two beds through their website. It just says that they say they will note my request. Booking the Embassy Suites as a backup sounds like a good idea. I'd love to stay for the 4th but it was a compromise in order to capture the whole family. Thanks again to all.
Old Jun 8th, 2007, 09:28 AM
TC

williamscb13, I don't think the Blakely has two-bedroom suites. There is one bedroom and the living room has a day bed. The standard rooms at the Blakely are fine. Its just the particular configuration and the way the air-cons were installed that make them inadequate for the suites.
Old Jun 8th, 2007, 09:41 AM

clairessa... what dates are you testing?
Checking in on the 28th for 4 night, I see availability at all the Affinia hotels for the whole 4 days.
Old Jun 8th, 2007, 10:45 AM
Original Poster

We will be there 5 nights. I looked again and did find a junior suite at Affinia 50 that says it has 2 beds. The only thing is that it's nonrefundable to book, but the prices are good and the reviews sound great. I'm going for it. I think my family will enjoy the NY experience there with the doorman and pillow choices. I hope the location is good for walking around. Thanks for all the help and encouragement. I've read here many times but never posted.
Old Jun 8th, 2007, 11:45 AM

The AAA rates are the same and do not require prepayment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -