Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Help with lodging in Rockport or Gloucester please...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27th, 2006, 03:35 PM
JES
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My hubby and I want to spend a couple of days in the area mid-Sept. I want to go to Rocky Neck artists colony and good harbor beach and stay in a cute B&B that is reasonable in price.
What area should I stay in? It seems most B&B's are in Gloucester or Rockport.

Has anyone stayed at any of the following and can give advice?
Old Farm Inn (Rockport)
Seafarer Inn
Bulfinch House
Captain's House

Thanks for any advice!
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 05:37 AM
JES
Original Poster

ttt
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 07:32 AM
2d

It's been a few years, but my husband & I really enjoyed our stay in the (I think) Golden Gate room on the top floor of the extension of the historic Yankee Clipper Inn. You might want to check it out.
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 07:46 AM
JES
Original Poster

Thank you 2D. I'd love to stay at the Yankee Clipper but unfortunately it's a little more than we wanted to spend. We're staying at a more expensive place in Maine over the weekend for a wedding so we wanted a cute but inexpensive place for this part of our trip. What a great location for the Yankee Clipper though! I would love to stay there sometime.
I also saw something on the Rocky Shores Inn & Cottages: http://www.travelassist.com/reg/ma105s.html
but the only number I found listed is disconnected. Does anyone have any info on this as well?
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 08:33 AM

We enjoyed the Julietta House in Gloucester. It is a short walk up the hill from the center of town.
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 09:07 AM
JES
Original Poster

Thanks Capxx--I was looking there too but didn't know if I wanted to be in the center of Gloucester's town vs. more on the water but maybe I should re-visit that idea. It looks adorable.
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 10:56 AM

Hi-I lived in Rockport for 10 yrs. I now recommend the Captain Bounty Motor Inn. Perhaps not the "cute" B&B but directly overlooks the Atlantic ocean-you can't get any closer without a bathing suit. It's located centrally in Rockport-you have a place to park-which is key in that town and you can WALK to everything. I also like the Peg Leg Inn - a special place. The Old Farm Inn, Seafarer, Ctp House all not within walking distance (unless you want to walk that far) of town.
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 02:29 PM
JES
Original Poster

JBass--thanks for your suggestions.
We will be there mid September, and during the week (Wed & Thurs). Knowing that, do you think it's essential to be within walking distance to town? We were thinking we wouldn't have a problem with parking at that time.
And given that, what do you think of the other options?
Thanks so much for all of your help.
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 08:55 AM

Rockport parking mid week in September should be no problem; weekends maybe if you don't arrive in am. I'm still inclined to stay in town; try the Peg Leg Inn and ask for a room that overlooks the ocean-it's really unbeatable. I think it's more fun to get up and walk out the door up the street to breakfast rather than getting in your car and driving. You smell the ocean and salt air, hear the gulls, the fog horn (hopefully not maybe). It's just a different experience. Having said all that, the Captain's House is ON the ocean - it's quite a dramatic setting. Nice owners.
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 05:28 PM
JES
Original Poster

Good points JBass, thanks. Originally I wasn't sure aobut the Peg Leg b/c the photo on their website looked like it was across a somewhat busy street from the water, and there were lots of telephone wires blocking the view as opposed to the Captain's House but since you highly recommend it, I will revisit that!
BTW--What are your thoughts on the Seaferer (vs. the Captain's House)? Both seem to be right on the water.
Thanks again for all of your help.
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 09:23 PM

We love the Bearskin Neck Motor Lodge (right on Bearkskin Neck) http://www.rockportusa.com/bearskin/

Simple (not what I'd call "cute"), but nice; we don't care much for frilly, or the typical lack of soundproofing and plumbing of most B&B's) accommodations perched on the rocks with amazing panoramic views. With your room comes a free parking place. They do offer coffee and pastries/muffins each morning, but we prefer to wander over the Helmut's for the really good coffee and fresh from the oven streudel. Wow! Sometimes we bring it back to the room to enjoy on our deck, sometimes we head for the deck on the back of Helmut's overlooking the harbor. Aweseome!

From there, you can wander all about Rockport.

It's also just a few doors away from My Place By The Sea - a spectacular dinner destination.
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 01:43 AM

We stayed in The Emerson Inn by The Sea in Rockport last October and really enjoyed it. It's an Inn not a B&B, but breakfast is included. It's in a good location and we enjoyed the view!
Old Sep 1st, 2006, 02:29 AM
JES
Original Poster

Thank you for these recommendations. I will check them out!