help with hotels in Maui and Kauai

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20th, 2000, 07:36 AM
Jill

Hi,
I am trying to plan our honeymoon to Maui and Kauai in March 2001. Our travel agent has us initially booked us 4 nights (ocean view) at Westin Prince in Maui and 4 nights (deluxe ocean view) at the Sheraton Kauai. He booked a compact car and the interisland flights all for $3200. Is this reasonable? Has anyone stayed at these hotels? I am considering changing from the Westin Prince to the Renaissance Wailea, but I am not suer which is better. My fiance wants to stay at Princeville instead of the Sheraton in Kauai, but I would really prefer to save money. Any thoughts?

Old Dec 20th, 2000, 01:57 PM
Erica

Wow! You sound just like us! We were originally going to do those same hotels through Pleasant Holidays as a honeymoon package, for our June 2001 honeymoon. We also looked into doing the same hotels without a honeymoon package and it ended up being $400 cheaper! All that meant was no champage and upgrades based upon availability.
However, once we really started to research the hotels, especially on this website, we were a little unsure. The Maui Prince is supposed to be very nice, but it is very isolated. And, as for the Sheraton, if you don't have an ocean view room, it seems as though it isn't too nice. We would love to do the Hyatt or Princeville, but it was too expensive.
So, here is what we are doing... We are staying five nights at the Renaissance Wailea in an ocean view room for $215/night with the Entertainment card. Then on Kauai we are staying two nights at the Hanalei Bay resort, right near the Princeville. We realize that it won't be the nicest in the area, but we just could not afford another $600 just to stay at the Princeville. Then, for three nights we are staying at <a href="htttp://www.gloriasbedandbreakfast.com">Glorida's Spouting Horn B&B<a> on the south shore near Poipu Beach. Glorias is actually a little pricey ($250 a night), but it is supposed to be amazing! We did a lot of research, well actually I did a lot of research! Not including air to Hawaii, but including car and interisland flights, the total price will be about $3100. FYI - if you are going through Pleasant, they will book a car and interisland air for you as long as you stay one night at a hotel through them (which for us was the Hanalei Bay).
I hope that this helps you. If you have anymore questions, feel free to email me!
Erica

Old Dec 20th, 2000, 01:58 PM
Erica

Well, I was trying to post a link to Gloria's...let me try again.
<a href="http://www.gloriasbedandbreakfast.com">Gloria's Spouting Horn B&B</a>

Old Dec 20th, 2000, 01:59 PM
Erica

Sorry..didn't work. You can tell the website though!

Old Dec 20th, 2000, 02:48 PM
Lani

Jill,

In March, I would stick with the Sheraton on the South shore of Kauai. The weather will be much more dependable then in that part of Kauai, and I think you'll be delighted with the deluxe ocean view there. As for Maui, The Prince is awfully isolated and the decor rather stark, and also, I love the Renaissance Wailea - have stayed there several times, and I highly recommend it! That would be my choice. IF that includes your RT airfare to Hawaii, I think that is indeed reasonable. Have a wonderful trip!

Old Dec 20th, 2000, 06:25 PM
Anthony

Jill:
I have stayed at the Renaissance twice in 3 yrs, most recently this past Oct.
I also used the entertainment card, but went for a non-ocean view rm at 165/nt.
I have found an internet site that seems to have good rates for Hawaii, including the Hyatt Kauai. Here is the link:
http://www.hotelonsale.com/hawaii/index.html

I have also stayed at the Hyatt Kauai, and my review of the hotels is on epinions. Here is the link for that review:
http://www.epinions.com/./lodg-revie...39EA690B-prod5

I have also stayed at The Hanalei Bay Resort, also using the entertainment card. I got a great rate of $99/nt, but unfortunately, had a terrrible experience at the hotel. Here is a link to my review of that hotel on epinions:
http://www.epinions.com/./lodg-revie...39E93062-prod1

The hotel was ok for the price I paid, but I would be very unhappy if a paid any more that what I did. Coincidently, I just received my Jan. '01 issue of Conde Nast Traveler Magazine, which is their annual 'Gold List'of the world's best places to stay. The Hanalei Bay Resort, which was in the Jan '00 issues, is no longer listed as one of Kauai's best places to stay.

Although I have never stayed at the Sheraton Kauai, i have visited the resort. Although it seems nice, it is not in the same league as the Hyatt.
There are condo units that you can book in the Princeville Resort area, which would be cheaper than The Princeville Resort Hotel.
Even if you don't stay in the North Shore, you should definetely take a drive there, check out the beaches, and have drinks and watch the sunset from the balcony at the Living Room Bar at The Princeville Resort (MUCH nicer than the Bali Hai Restaurant at Hanalei Bay Resort)

Old Dec 20th, 2000, 06:44 PM
ezron

I know that this will not be popular with everyone BUT I think with only 8 nights , I would spend them ALL on Maui. By staying put, the trip will be much less stressful and hectic and more romantic. JMO

Old Dec 21st, 2000, 06:08 AM
Joe

If I had only 8 days, I would stay only on Kauai, maybe 4 days on the south shore and 4 on the north. Personally, I prefer the south.

FYI. I recently did 10 nights and split 5 on Maui and 5 on Kauai. It was not hectic.

Old Dec 21st, 2000, 06:56 PM
linda from NJ

My husband and I have been to Hawaii twice. Once on our honeymoon. Acutally we got married on the big island of Hawaii. In Kauai we stayed at Gloria's B & B and loved it. It is worth the $250. The ocean comes right up to your room. We also stayed at the Hanalei Bay Resort. The view is spectacular, rooms standard and the restaurant is good. The beach is not that great at Hanalei Bay or Princeville but the surrounding areas on the North Shore are awesome. Alot of movies were made there. Don't know about the weather in March. Beaches down by Gloria's are good. Maui Prince is nice and they have a big beach. It is a bit secluded but Wailea is a bit secluded. We stayed at the Kea Lani and loved it. It is an all suite hotel. Hope I helped a little and have a great time.

Old Dec 30th, 2000, 05:06 PM
chrjonbec

To Jill - we have recently returned from our trip to Maui, For the last 4 years we have stayed at the Rennaissance. We love it there. It doesn't change - the service is still great - the same people are still there - the valets, the wait people in the restaurants, the very helpful ladies who clean the rooms. All this says alot for the hotel and management. The gardens are beautiful. Depending on where your room is you may be able to hear the ocean at night. We were always able to hear Jamie Lawrence, the vocalist and guitarist in the evening from our lanai. We love the Rennaissance. Also, Gloria's is a beautiful place. The rooms are probably 30 ft. from the ocean - so at night you will be able to hear the surf. Gloria serves wonderful breakfasts. Poipu, where Gloria's is, is the warm and sunny part of Kauai. The Princeville area is more rainy. Wherever you go, you will love Hawaii.

Old Jan 1st, 2001, 03:52 PM
JoAnn

We stayed at the Renaissance 2 years ago and had an oceanview room. We loved it. The only downside is the location. If you love to shop and eat you will spend most of the time driving to Lahiana. If you just want to snorkel and sit by the pool then this is the place for you. And you cannot beat the rate they give with your travel card compared other locations. We were suprised and given a free buffet breakfast each morning. That is a $35 value. Also with your Quest card (if that is what you have) you get 25% off at their restaurants. Have a great time.

Old Jan 2nd, 2001, 04:52 PM
joy

Jill- Joann is not up-to-date. The shops at Wailea have recently opened. Including Ruth's Chriss Steakhouse, Tiffany's, Gucci and 50 some others. Een if you do not want to buy, they are wonderful to look at - especially Tiffany's. The location is great, only 5 min. tops from the Rennaissance. In our estimation, the Rennaissance is the very best, we have stayed there the last 4 years, and will definetly be going there again. Also, about 4-5 miles north of the Rennaissance, near Kihei, is a new shopping center. One of our favorites, ROY'S is there. Outback is there. Hilo Hattie's is there. A huge Safeway is there- you can buy orange juice, fruit, and cheese, if you so desire. Wailea has lots to offer. Lahaina is totally different. Good luck with your choices.