Help with Hotel in Maui

Search

Help with Hotel in Maui

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12th, 2008, 11:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with Hotel in Maui

Hi, my husband and I are planning a trip to Maui next year for our 20th anniversary. Can you give me some advice on hotels?

We're looking for something near Lahaina. It should be a fairly large resort on the beach (or across from). We're not really looking for a condo, but will appreciate any suggestions you have.

Thanks for the help.
Old Mar 12th, 2008, 12:03 PM

As a couple, and even with our kids, we have thoroughly enjoyed the Hyatt in Kaanapali.
Happy Anniversary!
Old Mar 12th, 2008, 12:18 PM

Lahaina and beach is not really a great pairing.
Old Mar 12th, 2008, 12:34 PM
dmlove

Kaanapali Beach is 3 miles from Lahaina, which to me makes it a great pairing -- stay in Kaanapali and go into Lahaina when you want to poke around, have nice meals, etc.

There's also the Wailea area, if you do a search you should come up with a lot of opinions.

I personally really like Kaanapali. What do you want to do while there - beach? pool? shop? eat? snorkel? What's important to you, and what's you general budget?

Old Mar 12th, 2008, 12:36 PM

I loved staying at the Lihaina (sp?)Shores. Technically it is a condo but they have 24 hour desk service and terrific concierge service. And their Beach was wonderful. They planned all my tours and shows in advance. They don't have room service and I generally require it, but it didnt bother me here. There is a small grocery store next door where I could buy milk, fruit and cake for the next morning that i think is open till midnight and ofcourse they have a full size refrigerator in the room. I actually travel with my own coffee and percolator, so I didnt look at their coffee situation. There is also a breakfast place next door that looked awesome -but eating breakfast out is not my thing.
Old Mar 12th, 2008, 12:38 PM

I am not an expert - but we stayed at the Kea Lani in Wailea - it was referred to us because of the mild conidtions there. I believe there is some type of micro-climate that causes very little rain in this area and the beach is beautiful and the ocean there is rather calm. It was amazing. It rained elsewhere on the island (during our stay) but not in Wailea. Two friends have visited Kaanapali and both had lots of rain during their visits.

Also, the Kea Lani is an all-suite hotel so there is a little fridge and micorwave which helped cut down on bills for snacks and light lunches. . .

Have fun! I don;t think it's near Lahaina though - I believe about 30-45 mintues away. We went there once and enjoyed it.
Old Mar 12th, 2008, 12:46 PM

Sylvia
I don't understand why you would say Lahaina and beach is not a good pairing. Lahaina shores is up against a gorgeous clean beach with fairly gentle waves that I had all to myself --- maybe because there is a false rumor that Lahaina and Beach is not a good pairing. That said I was stupid enough to leave my walkman on the Beach lodged under a shrub - I thought. I was promptly carried away by the waves. I was able to swim out to retrieve it but obviously not in good condition. Still I spent 12 days in Hawaii on 3 islands and stayed twice in 4-star hotels during that time, and Lahaina shores was my favorite place that I stayed.