Reload this Page >

Help with Honolulu and Kauai trip for 2002

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2001, 07:56 AM
Sheila

I am starting to think about my vacation for next year. I would like to spend 1 week in Kauai in March or April. How are the crowds during that time of year? I am also interested in stopping in Honolulu for a couple of nights to see the sights there. I don't want to rent a car in Honolulu as we are renting one in Kauai. What would be a good two day itinerary for Oahu without a car? Only been to Maui so I am unfamilier with the other islands. Thanks for any help.

Old May 9th, 2001, 10:17 AM
Sheila

Where are all the Hawaii experts with great ideas today? What would be the least crowded month with the best weather for Kauai?

Old May 9th, 2001, 10:26 AM
geezlouise

Well, Sheila, my goodness, I certainly can understand that you'd be miffed and downright nonplussed that the "Hawaii experts" didn't respond to you quickly enough. I mean, after all, having to wait 2 and 1/4 hours for a response form the Fodors posters is unacceptable, so I'm here to "end the silence". (And so I have

Old May 9th, 2001, 10:30 AM
geezlouise

oops - last sentence to my above post should read..."(and so I have)."

Old May 9th, 2001, 10:59 AM
Sheila

Thanks geez. Don't you have any advice for me? Sorry for the impatience. I get a little crazy when I think about a vacation.

Old May 9th, 2001, 11:20 AM
geezlouise

OK, Sheila, here's the "411" on your question - March/April could be a little dicey in Hawaii, due to spring breaks, school vacations, etc. January and February are a little quieter, in my experience, although quite honestly, one of the wonderful things about Kauai is that it Never really feels crowded. Good luck and enjoy!

Old May 9th, 2001, 11:29 AM
Cheryl

Hi Sheila
Just got back from Kauai end of April spend 1 week there and 1 week in Maui. Loved Kauai crowds definately not a problem. Stayed in Poipu so we avoided much of the showers though it does sprinkle regularly. If you any questions feel free to e-mail me. I would not hesitate going again in April. Cheryl

Old May 9th, 2001, 11:30 AM
hilo hattie

Duuh. Think time zones.
March - April are fine.

Old May 9th, 2001, 12:03 PM
Sheila

Thanks to all. Will it be possible to see most of the sights of Oahu without a car?

Old May 9th, 2001, 12:05 PM
ej

Hi Sheila,

Kauai almost anytime of year is not too crowded. Most of the spring break crowd gyrate towards Oahu and Maui. Surf action might be up on the North side of the island though, something to think about. Poipu (south side) is nice, although, unless you're a "stay at the hotel" type, you'll end up commuting anywhere from 30-45 minutes towards anywhere else on the island. Princeville (north) is also nice, although it might be more rainy on that side.

Oahu without a car.....best bet is staying in the Waikiki area - they have THE BUS and the Trolley that navigate towards almost all the touristy spots - i think you might have to do a few transfers via bus if you're trying to get to Pearl Harbor - Punchbowl, etc. There are also some organized bus tours of those places, I'm certain the hotel concierge could help you out with that.

Old May 9th, 2001, 12:12 PM
Tim Wise

Sheila,
If you go in March, you should really go back to Maui for a whale-watching tour. The Humpbacks are there in force during March, although they are there from December to late April. You can do some whale watching from Kaua'i, but it's not as good. The whales seem to congrgate between Lana'i and Maui because of the wind-shielded waters there. Do a day-trip.

As far as crowds go, Kauai is always light compared to Maui or Oah'u. To really enjoy this island, get one of the many guidebooks out there (The Ultimate Kaua'i Guidebook is my fav.) and plan an activity for everyday. This island's appeal is mostly the natural beauty and a good guidebook will help plan an unforgetful hike (Kalalau Trail is my fav.).

You will definitely need a rental car. If you stay in Lihu'e, you will be near the airport and at the halfway point of the highway that goes around most of the island. The highway does NOT circle the island. It's about an hour's drive to Ha'ena at the north and about the same to go to the other end in Kekaha or further north in Koke'e State Park.

If you opt for the big resorts, they are mostly in Princeville (north), Kapa'a (east), and Po'ipu (south). It rains more on the north side of the island as opposed to the south. So, let that be a guide if you really hate the rain.

Remember, driving to the sights is the biggest challenge and there are great sites all over the island. So, having a centrally located hotel is key if you plan to see the sites. If you just want a room with a good pool and a view of the beach....you can do that almost anywhere on the islands.

As far as not having a rental car on O'ahu, that is very possible if you stay in Waikiki. Everything will be within walking distance (beach, restaurants, shops). There are tours galore if you want to explore. Just check the activity desk at your hotel upon arrival.

I hope this helps.

Tim

P.S. Patience is a virtue.

Old May 10th, 2001, 05:19 AM
Olicia

I just came back from Oahu. We didn't have a car, got from the airport to Waikii, stayed at the Hilton Village, by cab, cost about $20.00, took a tour the hotel set up for us to go to Peal Harbor, made it easy and the cost was about $30.00 for the two of us...If youwant to see the pipeline, you need a car, otherwise, no need, even Diamond Head is nearby when staying on Waikii.Shopping is definately walkable too...

Old May 10th, 2001, 05:49 AM
Sheila

Thanks everyone for great advice. Do you think one night is enough for Oahu or should we spend 2 nights and then on to Kauai? We stayed a week in Maui last year and loved it, but we want to see other islands next year.

Old May 10th, 2001, 07:02 AM
Marie

Olicia,

What did you think of the Hilton Hawaiian Village? My boyfriend and I are going to stay there for four nights the end of this month and are booked in the Alii tower. What did you think of the beach at that end of Waikiki and the pools? Did you eat in any of the restaurants there? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old May 10th, 2001, 07:08 AM
Marie

Sheila,

I'm going to Oahu in two weeks and staying in Waikiki for four nights, so I'll post a note when I get back. We're renting a car (and paying $9-14 to park at the hotel) so I'll let you know how much we really use it. Good luck with your planning.