Reload this Page >

Help With Highlands Inn, Carmel

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 11:11 AM
stjohnbound

I have booked a room for 4 nights in October at the Highlands and now I'm reconsidering because of a very recent TripAdvisor comment. The room I have reserved is described as "AAA Discount Guestroom, Patio or Deck, Most West/Woodburning fireplace, non smoking, ocean view, king bed." The rate is $409.50 a night. The comment on TripAdvisor says they paid $425 a night for a tiny room with a tiny bath and that it was noisy because the rooms overlooked the highway. Can someone who has stayed here explain the rooms to me? The reason I picked this place is because of the awesome location and of course it looks great on the website. I don't mind calling the hotel and requesting a specific room but I'm hoping someone out there can educate me on the rooms first so I'll know what to ask for. I think for $400 a night the room should be pretty special and definitely not tiny! Sorry this is so long and thanks for your help.

Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 11:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not exactly sure what you are looking for, but in early September 2001, hubby and I stayed at the Carmel Valley ranch for 2 nights. I am almost positive we booked on a travel website, must have been under $200, b/c we would never spend more. Unfortunately I have looked on a few sites now and it is $349 on all, but better than $400.

Golf cart took us to our gorgeous suite. Living area had full kitchen, bar, fireplace and gorgeous living space, couches, 1/2 bath (I think)etc. Bedroom had fireplace, deck, gorgeous bathroom, gigantic bed, etc. Saw many deer, just wandering around. Hot tubs scattered throughout the resort. Came home from dinner one night, went to hot tub, no one was staying in the resort at all, so we had it all to ourselves!!! I even remember the minibar being reasonalby priced, b/c we shared a bottle of wine. Check it out it is a wyndham property and enjoy the beautiful area.
Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 12:48 PM

All rooms are up on a cliff, well away from the road. Highlands Inn is a wonderful place -- romantically rustic accommodations with plenty of r-o-o-m:
http://www.highlandsinn.hyatt.com/pr...ms/index.jhtml

Am I the only one who has thought that perhaps tripadvisor.com should change their name to whineycomplainers.com??
Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 01:04 PM
stjohnbound

Thank you auntiemaria! I LOVE the look of the Highlands and I'll stick to my decision. I'll also try to quit obsessing so much!! Just want our anniversary trip to be perfect.

Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 01:39 PM

We live in this area. You will enjoy the HIghlands Inn.

Be sure to drive down Big Sur about 10 miles from the Highlands going south on Hwy1 and check out ROCKY POINT.

The food is not that great but it is a fantastic place to stop for a drink overlooking the Pacific Ocean on their outdoor patio. Great afternoon spot. It will be on the right as you drive south.

Enjoy the area! October is one of the best months for weather.
Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 02:16 PM
stjohnbound

Thanks Traveldog, Rocky Point is definitely on the list for drinks and the view. We will be exploring Big Sur and going down to Hearst Castle. Since you live in the area do you happen to know of any similar style hotels in San Francisco? I have reserved Hotel Monaco and posted a while back and now I'm getting responses that are very mixed. Great, I quit stressing about Highlands and now I'm stressing about my San Francisco choice!

Old Jul 24th, 2004, 09:51 AM

stjohnboud--

KEEP your reservation at the Monaco in SF--It is TERRIFIC and has wonderfully decorated rooms ( yes, a little small but gorgeous none the less) plus they serve wine in the lobby daily and the restaurant associated with the hotel was VERY VERY good....

The Highlands Inn is across the street from the water-on a cliff..
We sent our parents there for a weekend for their anniversary and they loved it...Hotel even delivers the wood for your fireplace and starts the fire for you..Definitely CALL the HOTEL to request a room that has a water view--My parents did not see any water but loved the hotel anyways...

Another neat quirkey place to stay ( when the Highlands is booked ) is the TICKLE PINK INN...it is near the Highlands and is a lot cheaper...

Here is a review of it:
most romantic hotel I have ever stayed at. We had a dramatic ocean view, fireplace and they brought us a bottle of Spanish sparkling wine when we came back from dinner. Rooms were quiet and well furnished. Wine and cheese in the afternoon plus continental breakfast. The gourmet chocolate truffles (which are delivered with Champagne upon check-in) are produced by Le Belge Chocolatier of San Francisco.

ASK FOR a COVE VIEW ROOM which overlooks the waves crashing onto the rocks. Gorgeous view with a gigantic balcony. Ocean/cove view suite has a jacuzzi tub and fireplace.
All the hotels that overlook the ocean on the Pacific have NOISE--just overlook it for the view.

http://www.ticklepinkinn.com/rooms.htm
Go over to the Highlands for dinner and drinks at sunset......unbeatable!
Old Jul 24th, 2004, 10:13 AM

We love the Highland's Inn. You should try to book a suite with a jacuzzi tub. The first time we stayed there in December for our anniversary, they upgraded us to a better room than we had booked. It was truly amazing, panoramic views, huge suite, jacuzzi tub, champagne breakfast delivered each am.

Not just rolls and juice, a full breakfast on china with sausage, eggs, toast,etc. We had breakfast by the fire each am, a truly memorable experience. I don't believe we have ever paid over $265/night there, but we stay mid-week in the winter.

I wish I could remember the section we had, I think it was the 400 area, which we request each time we stay there.

You will love this property, it's truly amazing and very much first-class. To me, the rooms are more like small apartments, our rooms have always had fully stocked kitchens, also. But of course, we never use the kitchen on vacation!!! LOL ***kim***
Old Jul 24th, 2004, 10:31 AM

We stayed at the Highlands Inn in May 2001. While our room had a fabulous view and was large, with a jacuzzi tub, fireplace, and full separate kitchen, we were taken aback by the shabbiness of such an expensive property. I'd check to see if they have done any renovations of the rooms.
Old Jul 24th, 2004, 10:36 AM

Me again. I have not stayed at the MONACO but have been in the lobby. Looks very nice.

They have a new hotel that was built where the old CANNERY used to be. I hear nice things about that also. SF also has many Bed and Breakfsts that many tourists never consider. They are more unique than the standard hotel and may be worth checking out.