Help with day trip to Cajun Country from NO

Old Oct 4th, 2009, 10:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with day trip to Cajun Country from NO

First week in November my wife and I plan a 1-day trip from New Orleans through Baton Rouge to Lafayette and circle back through Cajun country. We have been to NO many times but not this part. We only have one day and will leave very early from NO. I would appreciate suggestions for lunch/dinner stops. We are casual and interested in trying local food. Also, looking for recommendations to visit towns to stop and check out. We expect to be back in NO late at night, hoping to have dinner along the way.

Thanks,

Rich
Old Oct 4th, 2009, 04:59 PM

The tour you suggest would mean you would be driving all day. Your best bet if you just have a day trip from New Orleans is to probably go up River Road and tour as many plantations as you can in one day and then head back.

I wouldn't try to head out to Lafayette and back unless you planned to stay overnight there...
Old Oct 5th, 2009, 07:47 AM

It is a bit of a drive, too much for 1 day, I think - we did basically what you are describing a couple years ago, but did it over 4 days. I'd spend 1 night at least. Otherwise, stick closer to NOLA. Maybe the River Rd as suggested, or several years ago we did a day trip down to Bayou Barataria - I don't remember the details, other than a really nice swamp tour near the town of Lafite.
Old Oct 7th, 2009, 04:24 PM

Don't be discouraged! Acadiana is a wonderful place to see and if you are up for it, then by all means do it! (I grew up in Lafayette and live in New Orleans.)

You can take Highway 90 out of New Orleans, driving through Houma, Franklin and New Iberia. The Tabasco factory is on Avery Island (very near New Iberia) and gives tours throughout the day. It'll take about 2 hours to get to New Iberia from NOLA.

You'll come up into Lafayette from the south and near Vermilionville, which is a replica of an Acadian town. http://www.vermilionville.org/pages/default.asp?p1=232

When you're ready to head back to NOLA, you'll take I-10 east, but before you leave go west to exit 97 (Scott). On the south side of I-10 on the service road is Don's Grocery, where you can try pork cracklins (fried and seasoned pig fat- don't think about it, just eat it) and boudin (sort of like rice dressing in a sausage casing- don't eat the casing, just suck out the filling.)

On your way out of Lafayette, stop in Breaux Bridge at Cafe des Amis for some DELICIOUS food. http://www.cafedesamis.com/ (If you happen to be doing this trip on a Saturday, reverse the itinerary and stop in Breaux Bridge in the morning for the Zydeco brunch at CDA. It'll might be the highlight of your entire trip.)

Feel free to let me know if you have other questions.
Old Oct 14th, 2009, 08:55 AM

I so agree with shoegal! All of it. The minute I drove into Breaux Bridge, I started plotting a way to move there. And I live in Charleston, SC! That Zydego Brunch is a great experience. I was by myself and made new friends.

I spent 2 weeks in Thibodeau after Katrina. I stayed with the Naquin's at their B&B. I can't say enough great things about it-the breakfast, the welcome, the stories (!). Should you decide to spend a night outside of NO, I recommend Naquin's.
http://www.naquinsbb.com/
Old Oct 18th, 2009, 11:22 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to Shoegal and Suewoo. Since we will be traveling on Monday or Tuesday, we will miss the brunch. But that was the direction I was hoping to go with dinner at Cafe des Amis (I will check the website to make sure they are open each day).

Rich