Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Help! What to do: Honolulu, Early morning, with a baby. . . .

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17th, 2010, 06:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be on Oahu for the Pearl Harbor Commemoration 2010. We attended the ceremony several years ago and have decided that because of the nature (and length) of that event, it is not a place we want to try and keep our 13-month old happy and quiet for several hours. . . particularly with the "no bags or concealed areas" rule.

I'm insisting my spouse attend (it's a big deal to him), and I'm looking for alternative activities to do with our baby during the same time frame. The bulk of the ceremony occurs between 7:00 - 10:00 a.m.

I'm trying to figure out what on earth (or on Oahu) I will do to keep our baby busy during that time, since we will be traveling from N. Shore to attend the ceremony. Most typical "with children" attractions (Discovery Center, zoo, aquarium, etc.) don't open until 9:00 a.m. I'm contemplating hanging out for a while at the PH visitor's center, but that's a huge question mark as well.

Any ideas????? Thanks in advance!
Old Nov 17th, 2010, 06:29 AM

I am not trying to be rude, but perhaps you should just remain at your hotel [or home] and let your husband go on his own. It would seem much easier than having to get your toddler up early, dressed and out for what appears to be a time when there will be little for you to do in that locale.

I'd imagine that if you have to be at PH by 7 am, you would have to leave North Shore by what- 6 am? {Figuring traffic and time to park etc] That would mean getting your child up at 5:30??
Old Nov 17th, 2010, 11:42 AM
Original Poster

DebitNM, I don't think your suggestion is rude. It's something that I've thought of as well.

My line of thinking is that hub's drive from N. shore will be 2 hours roundtrip - so why not just go down with him, occupy ourselves for a couple of hours, then go and see some stuff while we're already down south. Our child is up around 5:30 or 6:00 a.m. many days anyway, so it's a toss up on whether we should stay or go with.

If we go with, I've come down to either going to Ala Moana beach park and hanging out/walking the path until the shops open across the street OR going for a leisurely breakfast at the Oceanarium Restaurant.

Thoughts?
Old Nov 17th, 2010, 12:29 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I'd probably stay put at the North Shore, but if you do decide to come into town, then that was my idea too, one of the parks... Ala Moana, Fort de Russy, or Kapiolani.

You could have breakfast somewhere nice (maybe the buffet at Shorebird?) and spend time at the park or the beach (bring toys).
Old Nov 17th, 2010, 01:23 PM

I'd probably stay at the hotel too since it is a 4 hr RT drive with a 13 mo. old and you have to be in Honolulu at 7:00am. I'd rather "hang out" at my hotel then at a park where you can't go back to your room if the toddler gets tired etc.(I've had 2)
Old Nov 17th, 2010, 04:34 PM

Here are the events scheduled for USS Arizona Memorial on December 7.

Note: Parking for the event will be at Aloha Stadium. There will be free shuttles from the stadium.

http://www.pacifichistoricparks.org/phdevents_dec7.php

If you are a shopper & your child doesn't mind shopping, many of the stores are open early for holiday shopping.

Pearlridge Center is only a mile or so from USS Arizona Memorial.

But I agree with others that you should just hang out at the hotel.
Old Nov 18th, 2010, 08:37 AM

If you are thinking about driving into town after dropping your husband off at the Arizona Memorial, keep in mind you will be dealing with rush hour traffic and it may take you another 30-45 minutes before you get to the Ala Moana area.

As Dusty said, if you want to shop Pearlridge is close by. However, the stores won't open until 9:00 a.m. (which is the holiday opening time).

I'm assuming you're staying at Turtle Bay - if I were you I'd stay at the hotel, have a leisurely breakfast and take your baby to play at the beach or something.