Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Help! What San Francisco neighborhood has the best bars/nightlife?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10th, 2005, 10:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone! We're going to SF over New Years and I'm having trouble picking a neighborhood. Basically, we want to stay in a neighborhood that's safe to walk around in at night, but close to a lot of fun local bars (more so than nightclubs). Where should we be looking? Union Square? North Beach? The wharf?
Old Aug 10th, 2005, 10:36 AM

Usually there is a special celebration in the city with tents on Embarcadero. It may be too early ( you're talking about January 1, right?) but check the Visitors bureau website.
Old Aug 10th, 2005, 10:48 AM

One of the safest neighborhoods would be the Union Street area, not to be confused w/ Union Square. It's full of restaurants and bars, and very good for walking. It is however a little too yuppyfied for my taste. My favorite neighborhood in the city is North Beach. I've never felt unsafe walking around, it's usually full of people. My favorite bars are Tosca and Vesuvio's. If it's not raining I'm sure North Beach will be very lively on New Years Eve.
The city puts on a fireworks display every year down near the Embarcadero.
Old Aug 10th, 2005, 10:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! I should clarify, though, that we're going for several days over New Years -- so we want to stay in a neighborhood with plenty of local bars within easy walking distance so we're in bed by eight the rest of the trip.
Old Aug 10th, 2005, 10:53 AM
Original Poster

Hi Viamar -- that wasn't a reply to you, I just realized my post wasn't 100% clear. Guess we were posting at the same time! Thanks for the info -- I'll definitely look at North Beach. Do you know what neighborhood name Union Street would fall under on Expedia? They list hotels by Wharf, Russian Hill, Nob Hill, Union Square, and Financial District. Sorry -- I'm clueless about SF!
Old Aug 10th, 2005, 11:06 AM

I agree with Union Street (not Square). It's in the Marina/Cow Hollow/Pacific Heights area. Check out some of the hotels on Lombard west of Van Ness.

Definitely not Union Square or the financial district.
Old Aug 10th, 2005, 11:07 AM

Last time I was in the area the Marina District was really busy
Old Aug 10th, 2005, 11:29 AM

If you're interested in staying close to North Beach (as well as within walking distance to China Town, Jackson Square, The Embarcadero, Union Square, etc.), I'd suggest looking into the Holiday Inn Select Downtown (750 Kearny Street). Ask for a north facing room, and you'll have one of the best views in the city.
Old Aug 10th, 2005, 11:32 AM

On Expedia Union Street would fall in the Fisherman's Wharf/Russian Hill area. Most of the lodging will be on Lombard Street. The name of the area that Union Street is located is called Cow Hollow. The Hotel del Sol is in the area and it's a nice place.
Old Aug 10th, 2005, 11:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks SOOOO much everyone! I checked out both areas...it looks like North Beach is more our speed. Any other hotels (besides the HI Select Zooey mentioned, which I'll definitely look into) in the NB area that are close to the action?
Old Aug 10th, 2005, 12:11 PM

Not a hotel but nicer than average motel is the Columbus Motor Inn. It's on Columbus in North Beach towards Fisherman's Wharf. There is also a very popular place called the San Remo. It's very hard to get a room there so if you are interested call now.
Old Aug 10th, 2005, 12:27 PM

Viamar-- I just clicked on this for the heck of it as I have not lived in SF for many years. But when I did Specs, Vesuvios, Tosca and the Albatross where the "joints" I hung out at. I also worked at a couple of those places. It's so great that they have been going strong (many years before I lived there and the many years since!)
Old Aug 10th, 2005, 03:42 PM

I think the Holiday Inn Select on Kearny is closed. I was eating in Chinatown just a few weekends ago and the hotel looked to be deserted - some rooms had mattresses stacked up in the window. I just tried to look it up on the Holiday Inn website and it isn't listed. Can anyone confirm it is closed?
Old Aug 10th, 2005, 04:40 PM
Kal

We've had some good meals at A-16 on Chestnut but the most interesting part was just walking around afterwards doing a few "final finals" at various local watering holes as we marched up towards Fillmore/Steiner/Union. Lotta nice little motor lodges around the area. I bet the area is a kick on NYE.

Still love "NoBeacha" mo' bettah.

I heard Fior di Italia is set to reopen in The San Remo?
Ciao Kal
Old Aug 10th, 2005, 06:03 PM

Holiday Inn Select is suppose to be going through a renovation process. Think I read it was sold to some other hotel chain but cannot remember which one.

North Beach is fantastic!

Kal, so Fiora di Italia is going to reopen at the San Remo, interesting! Leave it to you to know the latest scoop!!

Old Aug 10th, 2005, 11:11 PM

Either Union Street(Marina) or North Beach would do ya. There will be many folks out in either neighborhood and you will be spared the horror of trying to hail a cab on NYE.
Old Aug 11th, 2005, 05:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again everyone! Now I just have to make my decision -- agh
Old Aug 11th, 2005, 08:46 AM

>>>Either Union Street(Marina) or North Beach would do ya. There will be many folks out in either neighborhood and you will be spared the horror of trying to hail a cab on NYE.<<

Amen to that. You wouldn't believe the number of people trying to hail a cab in these areas on NYE. Sometimes 5 different groups on the same corner - all looking quite desperate!!

Stu Dudley

Old Aug 11th, 2005, 08:56 AM

I agree that North Beach or Union Street have the best bars/nightlife.

But, there are differences in the type of crowds. NB has the younger set with some student-types and a little more rowdy; whereas, Union Street down to Marina or up through Fillmore has the corporate-working crowd type.
Old Aug 11th, 2005, 09:29 AM

Excellent description bill_boy. Much better dressed crowd on the Chestnut/Fillmore/Union corridor.

Stu Dudley

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -