Search

Help us pick where to have a family reunion btwn. these towns

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2003, 12:39 AM
R
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help us pick where to have a family reunion btwn. these towns

Please help! Overwhelmed by just where to gather our family for my mom's 80th Birthday this summer. Planning rather last minute, as our original idea (out-of-state) was tabled. Some live in Calif. Others coming from afar.

Ages 1-yr old to age 12 for the kids...the 6 grandkids. 11-12 adults. Where to even begin?! My mom is based in the Bay area but rarely gets out for sightseeing, due to mobility issues, so staying fairly local, not that 'crazy' an idea. Half of the family, is in Southern Calif, so, hence, the Santa Barbara idea, too.

'Course fog may be an issue, with these coastal choices...this will be July. Not interested in Tahoe or Yosemite this time, as we've gathered there in the past, for other occasions.

If you would offer your 'vote'...and advice, we would be most grateful! Have received terrific help here on this Board, for other areas. What a fabulous resource, this is! So, turning to you for ideas.

Please vote & if you have any lodging recommendations, esp., would appreciate that!

Carmel/Monterey/Pacific Grove?
All basically the same area...but where to stay w/such a mix of ages?

Sausalito/Tiburon or San Francisco?

Half Moon Bay area?

Point Reyes/Olema/Inverness?

Santa Barbara?

Thank you!!!
Old May 7th, 2003, 03:32 AM

I am zooming in on your mother who is 80, has mobility issues and does not get out much. Does she not go places by choice or because she lacks opportunity. My in-laws have never gone anywhere - but they have been homebodies their whole lives - if we planned a reunion far from their home they would go, but be miserable. Or has aging made her more comfortable closer to home? If this is the case, everyone should travel to someplace close to her. The problem with a driving mid-point in California is that those coming from afar would have additional travel after arriving at airport.

So, Mom's preferences rule, travel simplicity for those from afar is a close second - it increases chance they will actually come.

Will defer to others for specific city/lodging.
Old May 7th, 2003, 04:50 AM

Sausalito (or Tiburon) sound like good options. Less frenetic than IN San Francisco. I have eaten (but never stayed at) the Alta Mira Hotel. Every time I've been there it seems to have families staying. (They do weddings there.) It's a bit of "faded glory" but I think your Mom might like it. You could have a b'day lunch there on their beautiful terrace overlooking the water or they have an indoor dining room. The rest of the group could explore Sausalito while Mom rests at the hotel. This place is a bit out of the way though & requires a car or taxi to get there from the ferry. There are other hotels in Sausalito that you might prefer. I don't think Alta Mira has a pool which you might want for the kids.

Good luck!
Old May 7th, 2003, 01:18 PM
R
Original Poster

Thank you both *so* much!
Mom wasn't so much of a 'homebody', but arthritis & losing my dad a couple of years ago, has made her much more homebound. (However, with 7 kids, back in the Midwest where we grew up...clearly, she didn't get travel as often as she'd like, in her early years, either.) ;-) But, once the kids were out of the house...she & Dad did try to travel, so it's not that she doesn't like it. However, it's quite hard on her these days to be "out & doing" much during the day - she's using a walker now, w/a cane occasionally. Hence, my interest in a scenic spot, where she could enjoy some beauty, without necessarily needing to 'sightsee' the whole time. What both of you wrote, confirms my sister's & my leanings. So, thank you! (just not used to planning such a get-together, with *such* a mix of needs, etc.) And, since this is for *her* 80th...I agree, *her* needs/wants should be paramount. Appreciate your time! Thank you.
Old May 7th, 2003, 03:59 PM
tpl

Hi R,

If you are still thinking about taking your mother out of the Bay Area, have you thought about Asilomar in Pacific Grove? This is a really beautiful setting, and they do a lot of family reunions. I'm from this area, and still love going back.

I also highly recommend the Monterey Plaza Hotel (though it's more expensive), and have used it with great success for large family gatherings over the past few years. The Monterey Plaza might be easier for your mother, though Asilomar does have some rooms geared toward people with mobility issues.

http://www.asilomarcenter.com
http://www.montereyplazahotel.com/

Whatever you choose, have a wonderful time.
Old May 7th, 2003, 04:25 PM
jem

I vote for Pacific Grove. If you stay at Asilomar, you'll have a beautiful, natural setting for your reunion. Asilomar conference ground overlooks the 17 Mile Drive and has a variety of rooms which can accommodate large groups. They have a dining hall on the premises for inexpensive meals, a community building with a pool table and a small swimming pool. That and very lovely, quiet grounds with paths leading down to the beach, make for a wonderful setting. It's a state-run facility, so room rates are very reasonable compared to neighboring hotels. I've been told that Pacific Gardens Hotel, which is nearby, is very nice, so you could look into that if Asilomar is unavailable. At least you would be close enough to take advantage of the Asilomar beach. Pacific Grove is very convenient to Carmel if you want to do the touristy things, but it has some good restaurants and shops of its own, also a good movie theater. There's a great walking path from Lovers' Point that allows you to stroll along the coast (lots of benches along the way for gazing out to sea and people-watching)and the Old Bathhouse, a Victorian-era bathhouse-turned restaurant with a million dollar view for dinner. There's even an outlet mall in Pacific Grove. I don't know when in July you'll be there, but they do have a Fourth of July celebration in town and the Feast of Lanterns the last week in July is a unique event. Good luck with your reunion!

Old May 7th, 2003, 07:47 PM

Another vote for Asilomar. It is near Monterey, also, which the kids would enjoy. One of my favorite memories of all time was watching the golden sunset from Asilomar. The air had even turned golden and everything in the way was not only a silouette, but cast a shadow through the air. I wish I'd had my camera!
Old May 7th, 2003, 10:01 PM

I would like to add my vote for the Pacific Grove destination. Whether or not you choose for Asilomar (haven't stayed there myself) I think the general area offers much more than either Tiburon/Sausalito or even Santa Barbara. Pacific Grove offers delightful shopping, breathtaking sightseeing, fun at the beach, world class aquarium, and great restaurants. Absolutely something for everyone.
Old May 9th, 2003, 11:59 AM
R
Original Poster

Wow! Asilomar seems very popular! Is it rather 'spartan' in the units, like some national park lodges? The setting sounds very nice.

Sausalito is still being considered by some in the family. Maybe the Casa Madrona, but not sure. Just wanted to thank you all for your time! Appreciatively, Rosemary
Old May 29th, 2003, 03:12 PM
R
Original Poster

Just got back from a trip to the Northwest...one of our favorite regions! Back to work on our family reunion...time is drawing near, so we may be in trouble! Asilomar was SO popular here...wondering again, was it very rudimentary in its rooms? Do you see the layout of the place working okay with someone with a walker? (or would we need to rent a wheelchair to navigate around there?) Can't tell much at all from their website. May just have to drive down there, in order to check it out, but hoping for more 'reviews' particularly of the rooms themselves from you Asilomar visitors. I'd like my mom to feel a *bit* 'pampered', so just trying to avoid too rustic a spot. Thanks again!
Old May 29th, 2003, 04:18 PM

The rooms I've stayed in at Asilomar (three different trips) ARE on the spartan, rustic side - kind of like some National Park lodgings. I don't know if they are the only kind they have or not - but the ones I've been in I would not describe as the kind to pamper anyone. I like the place, but I'm just trying to give you an idea of our experiences there.

I don't mean to go off on a wild tangent, but I have a totally different suggestion - we had a very similar family reunion problem once. (My parents were in their 80's, my 7 siblings and I and our spouses in our thirties and forties, and the 20 grandchildren ranged from age 1 to 14 - 36 of us total ranging from age 1 to 80.) We went on a cruise! My parents live in Florida, so we went on a short 3-day cruise to the Bahamas. It was perfect - we could all eat together without having to cook or choose restaurants, the active among us could go snorkeling, shopping etc. while we were in port either taking the kids or leaving them in the ship's childcare playcenter depending on their age and interests, my parents could retire to their room whenever they got tired, joining in the fun as much or as little as they felt inclined to, etc. While that kind of trip would not be my preferred one under other circumstances, for those circumstances it was great (when my parents were younger we used to do family reunions all over the place). Since you're on the West Coast (as am I now), I'm wondering if some short cruise to Mexico would work for you guys? I haven't been on any of them though. Well just a thought.
Old May 29th, 2003, 05:17 PM
R
Original Poster

Thank you for the prompt reply & creative thinking! I wish we had time to plan such a thing, but alas, I don't think it's possible..esp. as we're in Northern Calif. (southern has some shorter cruise trips available) However, I think for the next reunion, we should definitely consider such a trip, due to the varying needs & wants of such a group. And, you had the same kind of age range that we have. I'm not a cruise fan, but agree, that it sounds great for such a gathering!

If it were just my husband & I, I wouldn't worry about the 'rustic' elements of Asilomar. We regularly stay in park lodges & value their central locations. (and they usually come w/more rusticity for the money than other spots) However, again, with such a large group (& some into more upscale rooms)...it leaves me in doubt about Asilomar. Unfortunately, I began looking up some of the most recommended spots mentioned on threads here for Monterey/Carmel & Sausalito, & everything's looking sold out/no vacancy! :-{ Am *really* going to have to work on this a lot over the weekend, clearly. Thanks again!
Old May 30th, 2003, 07:13 AM

I forgot to say that one of the times I stayed at Asilomar was with a school field trip from Sonoma County (where we live) of 35 sixth graders - which gives you some clue about how luxurious the rooms were (and how "pampered" I felt).

As I mentioned we've done the 36-people, age 1 to 80 reunions in various situations - hotels, rentals, and the cruise. Rental houses or condos in resort areas (the Tetons, Florida beaches, etc. ) worked well for us - have you considered that approach? I've stayed in nice rental houses at Stinson Beach upon relatively short notice, for example.

One problem with staying in hotels is there is rarely private space for a large group of you to just hang out, talk, let the kids play, etc. - in other words be a family (each individual hotel room is too small for a lot of people). And there are hassles re: finding, agreeing on, and getting to restaurants that can seat a large group of people at the same time. When you have to eat 3-meals-a-day out in those circumstances, it can begin to take up the whole day.

At a rental house or condo there is usually more room to hang out together, and you can cook if and when you want to. For us, we would alternate dinners out with dinners in - prepared and eaten communally, which became part of the family time together.

Oh also want to mention - have you thought about San Luis Obispo?

(My parents are now in their 90's and their traveling days are pretty much over, so we held our last reunion in Washington, DC where they now live. But it's fun to have your question as a reminder of great times - best of luck with your reunion.)
Old May 30th, 2003, 02:19 PM
R
Original Poster

Thank you so very much!! Appreciate all of your time!