Search

Help to plan Sun dance + national parks trip

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9th, 2015, 08:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help to plan Sun dance + national parks trip

Hi all,

I plan to check out some of the national parks and Sun Dance festival in Park City next January 2016. I’m coming from Malaysia so I have very little knowledge about the region so really appreciate your help to plan this.

Currently, my schedule is still flexible. I just know that I will have around 8 days for both the parks and the festival. The must do’s for me are:
- I have always wanted to see Antelope’s canyon but I’m not a photographer but I would love to check out the famous narrow slit canyon there
- I definitely want to watch a few movies but I also want to do some snowboarding at Park City
- I don’t mind spending 3-4 nights driving (with a rental car) around the area checking out different national parks and then 3-4 nights in Park City, or vice versa. I noticed on forums that everyone ALWAYS does the grand canyon + Bryce + Zion + Antelope canyon trip but only the Antelope one is a must do for me. I’ve seen the south rim so it’s not especially a must do for me although my two friends coming with me, haven’t been there so I don’t mind making a stop there too if it makes sense for the route

Appreciate tips on what makes sense. I am flexible as to whether I fly into Salt Lake City to start the whole journey or fly into Phoenix/Vegas. I can start at one city and end at the other, whichever makes the most sense for the whole trip.
I’ve not found a lot of searches of people going to the national parks in January so I’m a bit concerned that maybe we can’t even enter some of the parks in winter? Any tips?

Really appreciate the help!!

Thanks,
Joanne
Old Jun 10th, 2015, 03:12 AM

Have you driven in snow? It will be winter when you go so you will have to adjust your plans as the weather dictates. Sometimes the roads are clear and beautiful, other times even the main hwys are closed, so having a plan B is ideal.

If you can do an open jaw without too big a penalty on flights and car rentals, that would probably make the most sense, in or out Salt Lake City, then Vegas or Phoenix out. Otherwise, check on doing a loop from Las Vegas.

If you do go to Grand Canyon, be aware that the north rim is not open in January, so the south rim is your only option.
Old Jun 10th, 2015, 06:11 PM

I would check to see if Antelope Canyon is open in January. Bryce will be cold and snowy--but you should have clothes since you will be in Park City. I would go to Zion and Bryce--I-15 will most likely have the best road conditions. But I would not do the driving part of your trip if you are not used to driving in snow.
Old Jun 10th, 2015, 06:19 PM

Yes, Antelope Canyon is open in January and is actually fairly nice then due to low crowds, ( it is when we visited). You will not have the famous sunbeams as the low winter light doesn't get high enough, but you still get a great slot canyon visit.

You could very definitely have the possibility (though not absolutely certainty) of driving in snow.

But overall yes, 3-4 days for the movies and 3-4 days to travel to Page and back would be wonderful. Just get reservations for Park City early. Prices are fairly outrageous during the festival.
Old Jun 12th, 2015, 08:42 AM

If the weather prevents you from going to Zion, Bryce and Antelope Slot Canyon your backup plan might be to check out Moab, UT to see Arches and Canyonlands National Parks. It's a lot closer so a lot less driving.

Utahtea