Reload this Page >

HELP! Special Dinner in DC with view?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 25th, 2001, 07:23 PM
apseals

I am taking my Italian exchange student to DC in early June. She leaves from there to return to Italy. I want her last evening and meal to be a really special one. I was thinking somewhere with a view or a dinner cruise. Cost is not a big concern. We are staying at Loews L'Enfant Plaza and will not have a car. Also somewhere that is not incredibly loud would also be a plus. PLEASE HELP!

Old May 29th, 2001, 12:59 PM
AG

I would recommend you try www.washingtonian.com. Click on Fine Dining and you will see write ups of the best restaurants in the city. My vote, though it does not fall into view/cruise category is Kinkeads.

Old May 29th, 2001, 01:49 PM
kwl

Although it is not close to L'Enfant Plaza, Sequoia at the Washington Harbour meets the needs for a great view and good food. It sits directly on the harbor with views of the Kennedy Center (and maybe some memorials in the distance? - I can't remember). And, if it is a nice night, there is outdoor seating. The taxi ride shouldn't be too bad.

You may also want to check out zagat.com or possibly if the Washingtonian Magazine has a website (they do a top 50 list every year).

Old May 29th, 2001, 08:49 PM
apseals

thanks guys......keep them coming. Any one heard feedback on the dinner cruises on the Odyssey?

Old May 30th, 2001, 04:15 AM
martha python

Sequoia is risky--pretty, but often loud, often mediocre food, usually terrible service. For convenient, expensive, average food, great view, there's the Hotel Washington. Better food and a good view at the Chesapeake Grill at the Hyatt in Crystal City (Metro-able). At least, the food was good when I was there several years ago. But then, I hear the food at Filomena in Georgetown used to be good, and heaven knws those days are over . . .

Old May 30th, 2001, 06:31 AM
L

First, if I were you, I'd avoid dinner cruises like the plague ... just terrible food. Take her on a boat cruise from Old Town Alex. instead. But eat elsewhere. Since you're at L'Enfant Hotel in SW DC, and taxis are plentiful and cheap, here are a few ideas based solely on food: Bistrot Lepic, Citronelle, DC Coast, Equinox and Morrison-Clark Inn. Some like Gerard's Place and Lespinasse. All of these are within a 10-15 minute taxi ride of your hotel. Hotel Washington offers a good view (go there for a drink before or after) but the food is so-so. Kinkeads is a seafood place on Pa. Ave NW ... popular, crowded, loud, so-so for the prices. Asia Nora has not been mentioned ... very interesting food. And much better than Nora's. You really need to be careful about expecting great food in DC ... it's all pretty pedestrian. The best value here is asian, hands-down. If that's of interest, there are many great places to choose from, but these are not places with a view. By the way, any place in Georgetown with a view .... avoid. The restaurant scene in that part of DC has fallen on hard times. There's really little of interest in Adams-Morgan, and nothing on Capitol Hill. Finally, I'd suggest you do a search on the DC site ... there have been many other threads about food. There are many other opinions about DC out there ... perhaps a few others will weigh on and offer you good ideas. Good luck, and ciao.

Old May 30th, 2001, 07:22 AM
kal

Hello,
While it's a few Metro stops away from you, about 5-6 yrs ago we had a good meal with a good view of the Potomac, Georgetown and The Mall at the restaurant at the top of the Key Bridge Marriott in Rosslyn/Arlington.

I think it's called JW's. It was dressy and fairly quiet, 2 things I normally don't "do" on vacation. That and go into china shops.

It was over 5 yrs ago so if anybody's been there since....

Ciao!
Kal

Old May 30th, 2001, 08:07 AM
Chris

No matter if there is beter food elsewhere, if you are looking for a special evening for someone from overseas, I would DEFINITELY recommend the restaurant posted above in Rosslyn, that overlooks the entire D.C. vista. It's breathtaking, memorable, beautiful, and any red-blooded American would want it indelibly etched in the memory of a visitor from elsewhere in the world.

Old May 30th, 2001, 01:15 PM
dcTopper

top it

Old May 31st, 2001, 06:22 AM
Ann

Definitely avoid the dinner cruise. My office Christmas party was held on one. The food was bad, the entertainment was worse, and we couldn't even leave early, as we were trapped on a stupid boat.

Sequoia may have a great view, but that's the only thing in its favor. It seems to be that the good restaurants in DC don't have a view, and the restaurants with a view aren't very good.

My suggestion: take your student to DC Coast. Great food, atmosphere, a little trendier than some of the other places mentioned. Then, after dinner, walk or cab over to the Hotel Washington (it's on 15th Street, near the White House). There's a rooftop bar there with a great view. It's particularly nice at night.

Old Jun 1st, 2001, 07:46 AM
apseals

I just saw the list of Conde Nast's top 100 trendiest new restaurants. They list Butterfield 9 in DC as one. Anyone know anything about it? Thanks also for the advice on the dinner choices.

Old Jun 1st, 2001, 10:04 AM
Christina

I guess its trendy if that means people with too much money to spend going places to be seen and impress people, not for the food. It is very expensive, maybe around $75-100 a person. I have not been there as I don't do that kind of thing, but I've read several reviews which all say interesting space and design, bad food. I've never read a good review of the cuisine for that price, anyway. It's sort of nouvelle American, I guess.

Old Jun 1st, 2001, 11:14 AM
L

Looking over all the responses, I think Ann on May 31 comes the closest to a perfect plan: DC Coast, then Hotel Washington for the view and drinks after dinner. But get the reservation ASAP ... the Coast is a popular place. And very "in" ... but let me warn you, the food will be quite good, but DC is not a restaurant town. But go with Ann. Ciao.

Old Jun 1st, 2001, 02:36 PM
makeUpHer

I think "apseals" can make up their own mind.

Old Jun 1st, 2001, 08:09 PM
apseals

Thanks to everyone. I made a reservation at DC Coast followed by the rooftop at the Hotel Washington. Looking forward to a great trip, even if I have to say goodbye to my Italian daughter.

Old Jun 2nd, 2001, 02:08 AM
sharonr

Having just coming back from DC on Friday 5/25/01, the bell capitan recommended the Hotel Washington for great views. We did have a late dinner there, food just OK, but the view was fabulous.

As mentioned in other E-mails, dining was great in out of the way places, but view restaurants were lacking.

Enjoy.

Old Jun 2nd, 2001, 04:44 AM
BeenThere

We dined at Butterfield 9 two weeks ago. The food and service was excellent. Though the restaurant is very "upscale", there was no pretentiousness from the very accomodating staff. We had a wonderful experience at Butterfield 9 and highly recommend it. We did not think the bill was unreasonable for what we received and we have paid more for a similar dining experience at home. Great choice!

Old Jun 5th, 2001, 07:48 PM
love views

Just back tonight from Washington tonight. Had dinner last night at Keys Bridge Marriott because of this post. Enjoyed the food and the view. The Capitol building was hidden behind another building except for the very top. The Lincoln Memorial and Jefferson Memorial were easily spotted (distantly, of course) on the very right side of the restaurant. We did go to the Hotel Washington and check out the view and it had wonderful views of the Washington Monument and Jefferson Memorial (better from some tables, of course)... sort of a top view of the White House from the roof top lounge area. Next time, we will try this restaurant! More convenient and closer views.

I noticed while at the airport... the great views of the city from there. Surely someone can name a restaurant that would give fabulous views of the Capitol and the monuments in this area.... I would love to know for future reference too!!!

Thanks for a great post!!!
Love Views Too!!!

Old Jun 8th, 2001, 10:31 AM
Bonnie

Hotel Washington has the absolute best view in town, but go only for drinks or a snack. The top of the Key Bridge Marriott has the next best view and good food, not outrageous. The secret restaurants with a view, alluded to in the previous post, are in Crystal City, Va. Ruths Chris has a lovely restaurant there overlooking the airport and the monuments of DC. (it is hidden in an office building) The Crystal City Hyatt also has a good restaurant on top with a great view. The Hyatt on Capitol Hill also has a restaurant on top, but sometimes its open and sometimes not. Sequoia is a great place on the river with a great scene for 20 somethings. (Avoid Hogates and Phillips on the DC "waterfront" like the plague -- for bus tours only, all-u-can-eat buffets) Several restaurants near Sequoia on the Georgetown waterfront.(Tony & Joes?). Food good, not great. Most of the very good restaurants in DC do not have views. I disagree with earlier post, we have a LOT of wonderful restaurants these days!

Old Jun 8th, 2001, 11:32 AM
Ann

Forgot about Ruths Chris (a good steakhouse). The only problem is trying to find it if you don't know the area. Ask for very specific directions. Also, make a reservation, and ask for a table with a view.

Sequoia's good for a few drinks and socializing, but the food is very disappointing. Everyone I know tries it every once in a while, hoping the food and service (which is horrendous) will improve because it's such a nice spot. It never does.

Also agree with Bonnie not to eat dinner at the Hotel Washington, at least not on the rooftop. Food there is okay, and I have eaten lunch, more for convenience sake than anything else. About a block away is the Old Ebbitt Grill. Good food, atomsphere, service.

In Old Town Alexandria, there's the Charthouse. Great views, but the food's very average. Just outside Old Town is Potomack Landing. Also, good views, but food's overpriced and only okay. There's another restaurant right on the Potomac further south off the GW Parkway. Does anyone know the name, and if it's any good?

Best view I've ever seen at any restaurant anywhere in the world: Kentucky Fried Chicken in Newcastle, Northern Ireland. On the second floor, you have an unobscured view of the Mourne Mountains and the Irish sea. It would help if they washed the windows every so often, but the view's still great.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -