Help-Route- Grand Canyon-Bryce

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 01:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will fly to Flagstaff then to Grand Canyon south rim. Question--what is best route to Bryce, then Zion then Las Vegas. Should I stop in Lake Powell or Escalente. I already have 3 nights booked in Grand Canyon. Thought 1 night in Bryce and 2 in Zion?
Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 11:18 PM

I prefer Hwy 89 thought Page, AZ and passing Lake Powell and driving thought Escalante Grand Staircase National Monument. I always thought this area was very scenic long before it became a National Monument. I like this route because the landscape it is more of the colorful sandstone I love.

Alt Hwy 89 is more mountain driving. It's scenic too, but I get enought mountain driving living in California.

Utahtea

Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 07:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply. Where should I spend the night on the way from Grand Canyon south rim to Bryce--at Lake Powell or near Escalente? I don't know the amount of driving from south rim to Bryce but thought I need to stay overnight. Should I spend 2 nights in Bryce and 2 in Zion? or one
in Bryce? Is one better than the other? Where is good to stay in Bryce or Zion? Thanks.
Old Aug 6th, 2004, 08:16 AM

It's about 290 miles from S. Rim Grand Canyon though Page, AZ & Kanab, Utah to Bryce Canyon. This is the ONLY paved road route. There is another dirt road route that takes you on the Cottonwood Road. I've never taken this route, but I hear you don't want to travel it if it's raining, has rained or looks like a storm is coming.

It will take about 6 hours of driving time via Hwy 89.. It can be done in one days drive. Just keep in mind that as you exit the S. Rim, there are many great scenic overlooks to stop at.

If you plan to spend the night on the road, there are only two major locations for lodging. That would be Page, AZ (136 miles) & Kanab, Utah (210 miles).

I don't know what you mean by Escalante. You will travel thought Escalante-Grand Staircase National Monument and I believe there are some lodgings but you will not be traveling thought the town of Escalante, Utah which is on Hwy 12 above Bryce.

Utahtea
Old Aug 6th, 2004, 09:32 AM

Hi ronwoj
I have a room booked at the Desert Pearl Inn, Springdale (just outside of Zion NP) - I can't tell you if it was any good or not, as haven't been yet - but there are EXCELLENT reviews on tripadvisor - and the hotel website makes it look like paradise! http://www.desertpearl.com/

We don't have time to stay in Bryce ourselves, unfortunately, but if we were to stay there, then I think we would definitely try for the Bryce Lodge (inside the canyon) if it were available.

Hope that helps.