Help! rental apt. in NYC

Old Oct 14th, 2003, 08:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help! rental apt. in NYC

Planning to spend week in NYC Nov 24-Dec 1st. 2 adults and 2 teenagers. Searched for rental apartments on google. One reply from Metro homes- "The Atrium" Large building with elevators and 24-hr. security guard .
Located on the south side of the street between Sullivan & Thompson Streets.
One bedroom apartment. " anyone familiar with the rental company, the Atrium and it's location (safe?) Any other recommednations will be very welcomed.
Old Oct 14th, 2003, 08:54 AM

The location is fine, in fact your teens will LOVE it! It's in the heart of Greenwich VIllageand NYU territory (lots of college kids around). I personally think it's a great place to stay. Walking distance to many interested neighborhoods (soho, e. village, lower east side, chinatown, little italy), and there are many subway lines to get everywhere else in minutes. It's a great area for interesting (and many reasonable) restaurants, unique shops and good people watching. The only negative is it could be noisy, so it's best if you're a few floors up in the building.
Old Oct 14th, 2003, 08:59 AM

Another one I've heard of in the same neighborhood is Minetta Street suites. I don't have any first hand info on these buildings (they look fine from the outside).
Old Oct 14th, 2003, 09:16 AM

That's an excellent location - right smack in the middle of the Village, and walkable to everything downtown.
Old Oct 15th, 2003, 06:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies. I have more choices now, one apt in the West 70ies between Amsterdam & Columbus, an another located only one block from the TKTS booth. I plan to do touristy things , wonder if the times square apt might be better located for my needs. Any feedback with truly be appreciated.
Old Oct 15th, 2003, 06:51 AM

Touristy things are all over manhattan, in no 1 particular area. The distance from the wall st area to the upper east or west side is somwhere around 8 miles (someone here may have a more exact number). I understand, not being familiar with the lay of the land, Times Sq sounds like the place to be, but it's very noisy, crowded and congested. The restaurant choices can't compare to those in other neighborhoods. The shopping is minimal. The W. 70th location is also a great neighborhood, near central park and the museum of Natural history. Times Sq itself would only require maybe a couple of hours at most of walking around and is very accesible from most any neighborhood. I think Times Sq is probably a decent place for a first time visit but I personally would recommend (and have recommended) other neighborhoods.
Old Oct 15th, 2003, 07:12 AM

Definitely choose the Upper West Side location. Times Square is fine for theater, but that's about it. Noisy, crowded, dirty -- tourist trap.
Old Oct 15th, 2003, 07:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again. I was worried about noise around the times sq apt.
another question, how does one get to attend David Letterman's show live? I am now inclined towards the W 70ies apt (cheaper too), how are restaurants around there?
Old Oct 15th, 2003, 07:28 AM

The Upper West Side is a great residential neighborhood; you'll be surrounded by fantastic restaurants, shopping, etc. (One of my favorite restaurants is ISABELLA's, corner of Amsterdam and 77th behind the museum.) It's life in New York City!

Regarding Letterman, if you don't have tickets from the request/lottery process months in advance, then your best bet is to either a) just walk by the theater and hope you get lucky -- look for a young intern out front giving away tickets, usually around the lunch hour or b) wait in line for last-minute stand-by tickets (usually unsuccessful).

Good Luck and Enjoy NYC!
Old Oct 15th, 2003, 07:50 AM
Original Poster

Great. I shall reserve the Upper W apt. Thanks for all your help.
Old Oct 16th, 2003, 03:27 PM

Please let us know how that apartment worked out, when you get back from your trip! It would be good info to have for the future.
Old Oct 16th, 2003, 06:00 PM

Since you'll be in an apartment, don't miss Zabars for food to take in. One of our favorite restaurants in that area is Zen Palate, a lovely, moderately priced Asian vegetarian place.

After the theater, it's a nice walk right up Braodway to your apartment.
Old Oct 18th, 2003, 11:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again. I will report on the apartment after the trip.