Help Planning trip to Oregon, Washington

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28th, 2007, 12:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Husband and I are planning a trip to Washinton and Oregon for 10 days leaving Octoner 17 and returning October 27. We are flying into Seattle and out of Portland. We would like to see San Juan Islands, Columbia River Gorge, WhidbeyIsland. Our plan is to stay in Seattle the first 2 nights, then move to Whidbey Island for 2 nights and then on to Orcas Island for 2 nights. Next move would be to see Columbia River Gorge and the Coasts of Washington and Oregon. We will be renting a car in Seattle and returning it in Portland. Any advice on a better itinerary would be useful. Any pitfalls that we may encounter on this itinerary would also be appreciated. Thank you fodorites
Old Sep 28th, 2007, 01:33 PM

I'd suggest visiting Orcas first, which should shorten the travel day between the San Juans and Oregon just a little. And since that day will be mostly travel anyway, why not go directly to the Oregon coast rather than to Portland, the coast, then back to Portland. With the short time you have, I'd say skip the Washington coast. Except for Cape Disappointment, Oregon's is much more scenic.

Spend two nights on Oregon's coast - Cannon Beach would be my recommendation - then head into Portland, from where you can do an easy day trip to the Columbia River gorge.

I live near Portland, so am admittedly biased, but I'm wondering why four nights in the San Juans if that leaves only two for Oregon's coast. I think you'll regret not having more time to explore what many think is the most spectacular coastline on the planet.
Old Sep 28th, 2007, 01:47 PM

If you want to see the Pacific coast (as opposed to Puget Sound), that could be tough with your itinerary. If that's a priority, I think I'd plan on going from Seattle to Orcas, then spend just one night on Whidbey (or just do it "on the way" to the Olympic Peninsula--I don't think you need to stay overnight on Whidbey if you're going to Orcas), then head from Whidbey to the Port Angeles area (via the Keystone/Port Townsend ferry) on the Olympic Peninsula for a night or two. You could then drive west and south from there to the Oregon coast via the Washington coast and spend a night or two on the northern OR coast (e.g., Cannon Beach) before heading to Portland (it would be a long day of driving with stops out on the coastal beaches and at the Hoh Rainforest, but do-able). The Columbia Gorge can be done as a day trip from Portland.
Old Sep 28th, 2007, 03:58 PM

I would skip the Washington Coast and rearrange your schedule to spend more time on the Oregon Coast.

Perhaps you could cut Whidbey Island in favor of the more
Old Sep 28th, 2007, 03:59 PM

Oops--it posted too soon.

...in favor of more time at other destinations you mention.

HTTY
Old Sep 28th, 2007, 09:22 PM
Original Poster

New Itinerary - 2 nights Seattle, 3 nights Islands (San Juan), 4 nights Oregon Coast and one night Portland. Can anyone recommend staying on one Island or spending 3 different nights one on San Juan, one on Whidbey, one on Orcas or spend all three on one Island. If one Island which one?

Thank you
Old Sep 29th, 2007, 01:31 PM

I like the itinerary changes, but caution that you might not be giving yourselves enough time to see the Columbia River gorge. The most scenic of it is 18 - 35 miles east of Portland; visitors usually give themselves at least a half day, taking the Historic Columbia River Highway.

What are you hoping to do and see in the San Juans?
Old Sep 29th, 2007, 04:43 PM

You have an ambitious but doable itinerary...the San Juan Islands are beautiful; I would recommend Orcas and just stay there. It's too much trouble to move around. I agree that if you're going to the San Juans, Whidbey is a drive-through. Your day getting from the San Juans back down to Oregon is going to be a long one of driving, but maybe try to get to the Gorge from there, then over to the coast and back to Portland. I'm much more familiar with Washington so can't offer as much assistance on Oregon locations. If you are planning on crossing the Cascades, just keep an eye on the weather.
Old Sep 30th, 2007, 08:06 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I love Whidbey Island, but mostly because it's so easy to get to from Seattle for a quick one-night getaway. There is nothing particularly spectacular about it or unique, considering the other places on your itinerary.

One a trip like yours I'd suggest you skip it and put the extra time into Columbia River Gorge.
Old Oct 1st, 2007, 07:54 AM

You're going to go all the way from the San Juans to the Oregon coast in one day? Yikes, that's going to be a LONG day.

I would just stay on one island and not bother with Whidbey. I prefer Orcas to San Juan Island because I like hiking in Moran State Park but they are both beautiful.

And I would definitely spend one night less on the Oregon Coast and add another night to Portland to give yourself more time to see the Gorge from there.
Old Oct 1st, 2007, 10:28 AM

San Juan's to the Oregon coast would be a long day, but I think doable. We took an 9:30am ferry from Friday Harbor to Anacortes this summer, and were home (Portland) between 5:00 - 6:00pm. You won't make the coast by sunset, but most of the drive would be in daylight. Hmmmm..... when is the switch to standard time?
Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 12:29 PM
Original Poster

Hi everyone,

More questions, We are interested in spending 2 nights Seattle, 2 nights on Whidbey, 2 nights in Portland, 3 nights on the Oregon Coast - and maybe visiting a couple of wineries. Can anyone help with the order that is most logical. We are flying into Seattle and spending first 2 nights in Seattle, then 2 nights on Whidbey - (we are flying home from Portland)need help with the rest. We want to spend time at the Gorge area, a couple of wineries, and the coast. Any help on towns at the coast would be appreciated.
Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 12:46 PM

A few thoughts. Not sure where you are flying in from, but if it is not a long flight or you arrive early enough, I would hit Whidbey first. Then Seattle, then the OR coast, then Portland. The gorge can easily be done via day trips, but there are a few places to stay if that is what you want.

Do you need hotel suggestions for any of these towns?

For the coast I would suggest Cannon Beach. Coming from Seattle, you can cut over at Longview off of I-5 and head down. CB back to Portland via hwy 26 is only 90 minutes. Great little town, and of course very convenient with your itinerary.

Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 02:57 PM

I've done the drive from the islands to Cannon beach. It's possible, just a bit long so take your time and have a reservation in Portland or the beach ahead of time. (I like Cannon Beach Hotel and The Governor in PDX). There are wineries everywhere. I'd look up WA and OR wineries online and see if there aren't some along your drive. From Seattle Chateau St. Michelle is in Woodinville and that's pretty close. It's a pretty place. There are countless in the Portland area, that's why I suggest looking it up. Erath, Argyle and Duck Pond are all in Dundee, OR.
Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 03:55 PM

I agree with everything mms recommended. And I'd add that you could get in those winery visits by detouring through wine country on the drive from Cannon Beach to Portland. And you wouldn't have to go as far as Dundee. There are some great wineries in and around Carlton, and between there and Newberg.
Old Oct 4th, 2007, 09:46 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much you are so helpful and this is really helping me zone in on the trip. A co-worker mentioned Bandon in Oregon - anyone heard of this area? Also, she mentioned Ruby Beach in Washington near the Olympic area - anyone know anything about this?

Thank you all so much!
Old Oct 4th, 2007, 10:45 AM

Bandon is 230 miles south of Cannon Beach, so well off your itinerary. The cute little town has developed as a result of one of the best golf destination resorts in the world, which would be the one reason you might want to visit on this trip.

Same with Ruby Beach. It's located on the Olympic Peninsula, too far off any itinerary that makes sense, given what you say you've already decided.
Old Oct 4th, 2007, 02:32 PM

Agree with Beachbum--if you were going to go down the Olympic Peninsula as I'd suggested in the first itinerary I outlined, then Ruby Beach would make sense but if not, then it doesn't ;-).

Also, I don't know what you are looking for in your island experience but if you can take the time to go to the San Juans (e.g. Orcas) rather than Whidbey, I would. Not to take anything away from Whidbey but I just think the San Juans proper are worth experiencing if you can.