Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Help Planning Chicagoland *Special* Afternoon (Delight?)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9th, 2004, 09:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Help! Need some *Romantic* suggestions!!

I am going with my spouse to Chicago, to see Prince at the Allstate Arena, near the airport....We land at O'Hare at 12:30pm , and we are going to stay out there at a hotel. I figure we'll get ready, go to dinner at 5ish, then head to the concert.

So....I want to plan a special afternoon!

I don't want to waste 2 of the 4 hours on a train into downtown Chicago. We will be going to the Westin on Mich. the next day.

Are there any nice parks out in Rosemont or nearby for a romantic picnic? Or small lakes for a boat ride? ANY IDEAS? Some time could be spent in the room catching up on a few things! (wink)

I need help from locals with something special to plan!! This is during the week.
Should I rent a car for that day?

We like unique architecture and good food. And please,don't suggest hanging out at a mall...

Any help is welcome! (for the activites outside the hotel room that is! )

Old Jun 9th, 2004, 11:12 AM

Anything to help a fellow Prince fan...wish I was going. This is a tricky travel request because Rosemont is kinda unique. I may get some flak for this, but I don't think I'd get any arguments from Rosemont city hall. Rosemont is a small suburb with a big business, hospitality, and convention attitude with strong links to the airport so the romantic spots are few and far between within Rosemont proper aside from your hotel room.

First, if it's in your budget, I would suggest renting a car for the day. Here are a few suggestions with websites so you can research further.

There actually is a small lake less than a mile from the All State Arena called Lake Park aka Lake Opeka. I know you can rent paddle boats, not sure about sailboats.

http://www.desplainesparks.org/lake_park.html

The Des Plaines River runs thru Rosemont. Much of the Cook County Forest Preserve is located along the Des Plaines River. Good spots for picnics and strolling.

http://www.fpdcc.com/

You mentioned architecture...Oak Park is 4-5 miles southwest of rosemont. It has the highest concentration of Frank Lloyd Wright designed homes/structures including his home and studio of anywhere in the world. If you were up for doing this, I would get the rental car and go straight there to allow as much time as possible in Oak Park and the return trip as traffic can be bad on weekdays. They do offer tours but you can get a map and stroll the streets yourself. His home/studio is open to the public as is the Unitarian Church but most of the homes are not as they are private residences. If you're a Hemingway fan, you can find an old (childhood, I believe) house of his as well.

www.wrightplus.org/

http://www.oprf.com/flw/

As for dining, Rosemont has plenty of good restaurants. Many are 2nd openings of downtown restaurants that wanted a presence close to the airport. Carlucci, Gibson's, Harry Caray's, Morton's and Nick's Fishmarket all follow this mold.

http://www.rosemont.com/restaurants/...estaurants.php

Nearby restaurants with an 'in-town' location offering a little more 'neighborhoody' character I could recommend are Olivetti in downtown Des Plaines (neighboring suburb). Or Basta Pasta in Edison Park, a business district within Chicago city limits but very close to Rosemont. Some of my personal faves are actually in small strip malls but once you get inside you'd never know and I promise you will not be disappointed by the food. David's Bistro in Des Plaines and Retro Bistro in Mt. Prospect.

http://entertainment.metromix.chicag...-10411,00.html

http://entertainment.metromix.chicag...l-9681,00.html

The www.metromix.com website is a great search engine for area restaurants and tons of other stuff to do...city and suburbs.

Good luck and let me know if you need help with any directions.

And a Prince tip....if you're ever in Vegas, check out Purple Reign (Prince impersonator with a live band) at the Boardwalk Holiday Inn on the Strip. Sit close and let them blow you away with a 3 set show.

Old Jun 9th, 2004, 12:15 PM

I have lived in Chicago for 20 years and could not have come up with as good as suggestions as the reply here. Have a great trip and enjoy Chicago!
Old Jun 9th, 2004, 06:24 PM
Original Poster

WOW WOW WOW!! Thanks tgordo!!! It will take me hours to look up all the links!!

HEY! I was going to go to the 'Purple Reign' show in Vegas in January, but a waiter at the House of Blues told me, "By the way, if you guys aren't doing anything tomorrow night, Prince is doing a "surprise" concert, you should check it out..." I jumped up, ran to the ticket booth, and bought tickets! It was an 'intimate' venue, only 800 people. It was awesome. I think they were getting ready for the tour. I had been waiting 25 years for that night!

I will let you know what I come up with for my special afternoon...(only the stuff that is rated "G"...ha)

Thanks!!!
(I love this website!)
Old Jun 10th, 2004, 08:58 AM

Hmmm....that was a tough decision. See a cheesy impersonator or the REAL DEAL in a small venue! Great to be in the right place at the right time for a once in a lifetime opportunity. Let us know what you come up with for your trip plans.
Old Jun 10th, 2004, 12:57 PM

Have you ever heard about the Sybaris Clubs? Go to sybaris.com and check out the suites with the private indoor swimming pool, misting steamroom, and fireplace for a delightful afternoon...
Old Jun 11th, 2004, 07:50 AM
Original Poster

Well, we tried a place like this in St. Louis, and it was really run down, and felt dirty. (like soil, not Christina dirrty...ha)

I wish they could make 'romantic' suites like this not sooo cheesy. I do appriciate the suggestion!!!

Something about baby blue shag carpet on the ceiling with the mirror....just seems like a swinging pad from the '70's.... I picture Foxy Brown in a shorty robe sipping Champagne waiting on some cool dude with in a long leather coat. Ha. (No offense)

I noticed you can rent the rooms in 4 hour time slots....We could always play characters from Austin Powers...or sing our favorite naughty Prince songs while soaking in the ho-tub.....lol

P.s. the slide into the private pool looks fun, as long as you don't stick to the slide on the way down! Ha.

Old Jun 16th, 2004, 11:41 AM
Original Poster

OK...I've decided on an afternoon romantic picnic at Lake Park in Des Plaines or the small lake near the Catherine Chevalier Woods...If anyone has any tips regarding these two locations, great!

Anyone know of a great Grocery store near the Embassy or either of these lakes? I will pick up deli stuff, maybe some wine. Sweet and Simple. The paddle boat sounds fun, maybe before the wine!!

Don't want to get too tired before the concert. Can't wait! Thanks tgordo for the suggestions, and "sweet dreams" thanks for the heads up on the Love Shack.

Next trip, I will fit in the Oak Park route. Too much for this one afternoon.
Old Jul 3rd, 2004, 07:22 PM
Original Poster

Chicago Trip Report

Well,.....Prince's Concert Was Canceled (a death in the family of the drummer).....flight and hotels were booked!!! I shuffled Hilton Points from the Embassy Suites Rosemont to the Hilton on S. Michigan. We lost only (besides the concert) my Priceline car rental ($37). So, word to the wise on Priceline and Hotwire, you never know what will happen.

The Hilton on S. Michigan was nice, we had a "lake view" room, and watched the sailboats...The staff there was well trained and very welcoming. We used the fitness center and it was great. The room was small...small TV, but, it was nice.

the room also overlooked Grant Park and we went to the 'Taste Of Chicago'. (Crowded, warm and more junk food than I needed)

Westin on N. Michigan, Hotwire ($87) was nice, perfect location! Room was smallish, but heavenly bed and shower made up for it!!! I am a loyal Westin fan.

We did the Chicago Architectural boat tour, and our guide, "Kevin" on the Shoreline tour was wonderful!! A must must see in Chicago. We did the 30 min. lake tour too, and that was nice. Take a jacket, even if it's 80 degrees on Michigan Ave. The lake is very windy and you will get chilly. On the river tour, I had to buy a visor, for the sun shade.

Thanks for the advice!