help on chicago hotel

Old Nov 8th, 2000, 09:33 AM
Jeff

help on chicago hotel

My wife and I are planning a 4 night visit to Chicago in late February. Would like advice on 4 star hotels on Michigan Avenue. Been reading the forum and cannot afford the Ritz Carlton. How about the Omni, Westin, Intercontinental, or Renaissance hotels. Wife prefers modern hotels instead of historic. We didn't like the Hyatt at our last vacation.

Old Nov 8th, 2000, 06:22 PM
Kelly

I'd vote for the Omni. Make sure you get the one right on Michigan Ave (not Ambassodor East farther away). It is upscale, but has good specials. The rooms are mostly suites, modern, and the service has always been good.

Old Nov 9th, 2000, 10:01 AM
Danielle

I stayed at the Westin River North aka Hotel Nikko (switched names when Westin took over). It is very VERY nice with all the frills. Service was excellent and it was close to Michigan Ave. and walking distance from most sites. Hotel rates were very reasonable, considering the rating.

Old Nov 9th, 2000, 11:19 AM
Joe

I've stayed at the Intercontinental. It is very nice and a combination of old and new. They added (bought) a modern tower next to an old athletic club. It is very nice. I liked this location very convenient to walk everywhere, in fact you do not want a car in Chicago, parking is expensive.

The staff was a tad snooty but after I complained about the 1st room they showed me (very narrow with weird angles), they gave me a lake side view a lot higher up.

Have fun and eat at the Greek restaurant adjacent to the Embassy Suites (about 3 blocks away).

Old Nov 9th, 2000, 01:09 PM
Greg

You might consider the Swissotel.

It's modern, sleek and efficient, in a good location with great views.

Old Nov 10th, 2000, 06:38 AM
chi-grrl

We stayed at the Wyndham a block east of Michigan on Ontario. It was fabu...very modern, tasteful, comfortable, clean and convenient, and the staff was extremely helpful and courteous.

PS - you might want to try bidding for a room on www.priceline.com. You can't specify certain things (ie: modern as opposed to historic), but you can specify location and rating.

Good luck!

Old Nov 10th, 2000, 08:15 AM
noname

We stayed at the Renaissance and it was a fantastic place with the best elevators anywhere. Close to all attractions.