Help-Never been to Philly!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27th, 2005, 01:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going to the Army/Navy game this weekend (Dec 3) and staying at the Club Quarters Hotel - can we take public transportation (subway) to the stadium and what good restaurants are close to the hotel for dining after the game.
Old Nov 27th, 2005, 04:24 PM
Original Poster

anyone out there have any good advice on restaurants near the CLub quarters hotel???
Old Nov 27th, 2005, 04:32 PM
TKT

I'm assuming the game is at Loncoln Stadium.
You are about a 5 minute walk to the subway that will bring you to the stadium. The part of Philly you are in has narrow streets, ideal for walking. There are many restaurants nearby. Some of my favorites, Loie, The Continental, La Colombe for coffee and pastry, Zanzibar Blue for a fancy night out. There is a Davios there also, upscale Italian.
Old Nov 27th, 2005, 04:50 PM

Try Morimoto on Chestnut and Seventh. Susanna Foo's at 1512 Walnut. Try www.starr-restaurants.com for other trendy places. In South Philly, you might like The Saloon or La Famiglia and Ristorante Panorama on Front St. Upstares at Varalli/Sotto Varalli on Broad and Locust.
Old Nov 27th, 2005, 07:47 PM

There are so many good restaurants in Center City that to name only ten would be unfair to fifty others just as deserving. Decide on (1) a specific type of food you want, (2) a price you want to pay, and (3) a distance you are willing to walk; then do any kind of research to narrow it down to about four or five you think you would want. From there we can give some decent advice. Unless we know (1), (2), and (3); there's no way we can give any meaningful help.
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 03:51 AM
Original Poster

OK - I will try to give more details - there will be 3 of us including a Midshipmen from the Naval Academy and want a fun place since his life is so structured at school. WIll probably ride the subway back toward the hotel after the Army/Navy game and want to eat somewhere near the hotel - will be willing to walk at least 4 or 5 blocks. Probably want a varied menu, mostly just good old American food. Might be nice if there was a steak, seafood, chicken, etc. Will be willing to pay up to 150.00 for three. Cheaper would be nice!! FUN is the main thing I am looking for, if possible - at the same time don't want some cheesy little kid place though. Thanks for any help!!
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 04:09 AM

GO NAVY!!! BEAT ARMY

We try to go to the game every year. We have dinner afterwards at http://eulogybar.server101.com/ They have great beers (my son & I always order the ARROGANT BASTARD ale). Very good food, especially their Belgian fries.

It's a nice area with lots of local bars & restaurants. Not sure where it is in relation to your hotel, but should be peanuts for the 3 of you to take a cab to/from.
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 06:26 AM
stevefrat

ballet-

First, you'll be taking the Broad St. (Orange Line) to the stadium. Walk to the City Hall stop at 15th and Market and take the Orange Line to the Pattison Ave/Sports Arena exit. Typically, the ride takes about 20 mins, but if you catch the Sports Express line (I think it'll run around 2:30 PM for the Army/Navy game), you'll cut the travel time in half. If you pay cash it's $2.00 each way. If you purchase tokens beforehand, you'll save a couple of bucks ($0.70 per ride).

As for restaurants, as others have already pointed out, there are a plethora of options. The Continental Midtown is less than 2 blocks from your hotel. Alma de Cuba is about 2 blocks south of your hotel at 1623 Walnut St. Prime Rib is also very close at 1701 Locust St. The Capital Grille is at 1338 Chestnut St. There are many, many more, but you get the idea.

Good luck and enjoy your trip!

Old Nov 29th, 2005, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

Budman,

Thanks for the suggestion!! My son is not old enough to drink (Plebe) so do you think it will still be a place he will like - is it nice inside, or mostly a bar!! GO NAVY/BEAT ARMY
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 03:47 PM

They have a long bar and some tables downstairs, and tables upstairs. It's not a large place, and you probably couldn't get a reservation. You might want to check out some of the other recommendations and/or go on chowhound.com. You could get lots of helpful hints on that site also.

Class of '09 -- now I'm feeling really old.
Old Dec 1st, 2005, 03:59 PM
Original Poster

Has anyone been to the Sansom Oyster House? Is it good??
Old Dec 2nd, 2005, 04:10 AM
Original Poster

OK folk out there - need more help soon!!! Leaving for Philly in a few hours and still no luck with restaurants - all booked - what about places that are more casual and have TV's so my husband can watch the Va. Tech game, but a place that has decent food also???? Please help!!!
Old Dec 2nd, 2005, 10:08 AM

I just went to Philly and ate at the midtown Continental with no reservation on a Friday night. We waited about 50 min. but it's a really cool place so we had some drinks while we waited. The food was delicious-I got the recommendation off this board. Philly is incredible-very compact and so easy to walk around. There was also a Maggiano's on Filbert Street which is part of a chain I used to go to in Chicago and is very good. Upscale Italian.
Old Dec 2nd, 2005, 11:59 AM

Try Criniti's on Broad, just down the street from the stadium. Family-run neighborhood Italian place, reasonable prices, good value.