help needed in january

Search

help needed in january

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13th, 2006, 02:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help needed in january

Hi this is my first post on this site and would love some advice on our forthcoming trip we are travelling to las vegas in january and staying for 5 nights then the plan is to drive to san francisco for another five nights and then drive down to anaheim for the rest of our trip i have allowed two days for the drive to san fran and two days for the drive to la i have been reading a lot of posts on the subject and i have got to say am getting a little freaked out, we are from australia and this will be my first time driveing in the states that does not worry me to much but more concerned about weather and road conditions etc first thoughts were to visit yosemite but this seems a little hard because of weather etc would appreciate any help advice road directions highways to take etc thanks in advance
Old Nov 13th, 2006, 05:11 AM

Since you are unfamiliar with driving in the US, my suggestion would be for you to start in LV, then drive next to Anaheim to see Southern California (this is less than a one-day drive from Las Vegas and will waste much less of your transit time), and finally end up in San Francisco. Do allow two days to do the drive from the LA area up to San Francisco, and perhaps stop along the way at San Simeon to see Hearst Castle. If you take two days, you can do the coastal route, which is much slower but much more scenic.

If you drive from LV direct to SF, then you have to drive through the mountains and might very well encounter some snow along the way. You're correct in thinking that Yosemite would be snowy in January, but you can see redwoods in Muir Woods, just north of SF (not a substitute for Yosemite by any means, but easier during the winter).
Old Nov 13th, 2006, 08:31 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
OK - I'll assume you already have booked your air tix into Las Vegas and out of LA. Right? If so, Doug's order of things won't work. And besides, in January you can't "drive through the mountains" between LV and SF. Tioga Pass is closed so you'd have to drive around and the up the length of the central valley - often in VERY dense winter fog.

If you are limited to LV > SF > LA in that order, you will be much (MUCH) better off flying to SF from LV. You don't need a car in LV - except for maybe a one-day rental for a drive somewhere. But in LV itself you don't really need a car. Then of course you don't want/need a car in SF (again except for maybe one day trip)

So you really don't need to rent a car until you leave SF for your drive south to LA.

And flying will give you more free time so you can take 3 or 4 leisurely days for your drive south along the coast to LA.
Old Nov 13th, 2006, 10:18 AM

And you are quite right to fret the weather. Rain and fog can be quite problematic up and down the California coast in January. That can make the scenic drive down the coast a bit nerve-wracking (plus you'll be on the ocean side of the road, with some portions being bluffs with no shoulder, just the sea below). I don't know if someone not used to driving in the US should do this for their first long road trip, especially in the winter.

I completely agree with the other locals: Do NOT drive LV-SF, don't rent a car until you head from SF to Anaheim (yuch-- why Anaheim? Will you spend the entire time at Disney?!). If you stick with the scenic route, I'd do the usual CA-1 route down to around Santa Barbara, then grab US-101 through downtown LA, then take I-5 down to Anaheim. If you forego the scenic route and decide to go fast, fly from San Francisco to either Orange County (SNA) or Long Beach (LGB) Airport (LAX being too far from Anaheim as well as being a royal pain). Easier, and you could get more time in both cities.
Old Nov 13th, 2006, 06:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice so far greatly appreciated just one thing we are visting disney but do you have any other suggestions other than anaheim which is safe and possibly clos to universal studios
Old Nov 14th, 2006, 08:19 AM

Universal Studios Hollywood is in Universal City. In Los Angeles County. 56 km (35 miles) from Disneyland, in Anaheim, in Orange County. You don't want to stay in any of the communities that are "central" to both parks (not unsafe, just ugly).

There are literally thousands of wonderful, classy, fun, cool things to do in southern California. But if you are focusing on these theme parks, you might as well stay in Anaheim, which is inland suburban Generica USA. Happily, there's new bus service between Disney and Universal, so you wouldn't have to brave the drive up the 5/101 combo.

Anaheim itself is fairly charmless, but you will be freeway close to LA, the beautiful coast communities of central/southern Orange County, and even San Diego (a mere 90 minutes south). If you have time to explore.
Old Nov 15th, 2006, 09:29 PM

juljen,

My advice is to stay in LV for a couple of nights (more, you will have sensory overload). Drive to San Diego and visit Old Town and the San Diego Zoo. Drive through LA, unless you want to check out Hollywood and Beverly Hills. Take the Pacific Coast Highway (Route 1) north of Malibu towards San Francisco. There are lovely places to stop along the way, e.g., San Simeon (Hearst Castle), Solvang, Carmel (a must), and then roll into SF. SF is one of the top three cities in the world. Great restaurants - check out Boulevard, Hawthorne Lane, or Hang Ah (for the original Dim Sum restaurant in SF). Chinatown is one of the best outside of China. Go to Muir Woods for redwood trees. Visit Napa and Sonoma Valleys for wine as good or better than the Hunter Valley in Oz. SF used to be our favority city in the world to visit. We now live here and it is even better!
Old Nov 15th, 2006, 09:53 PM

Living in California, and loving both San Francisco (my favorite city in the world) and Las Vegas, Unless you are hellbent on driving, with cost of gas and the possibility of rainy weather in January, from Las Vegas I would fly Allegiant air (cheap) into Stockton, rent a car and drive the hour to San Francisco (it's a quick drive). Then you could drive to Anaheim straight up Interstate 5 or fly. Try to stay in Vegas Sun-Thurs when rates are really cheap. Anaheim during winter is pretty reasonable but Disney does have shorter winter hours and it can be rainy. If you drive to Anaheim, make sure you can drive into the LA area later in the evening because the traffic is HORRENDOUS. You could take a side trip (or a bus) from San Francisco to Yosemite National Park, which is breathtaking in winter. The heavier snow doesn't usually come until later in winter. If you go to Yosemite, make sure you stop and see the Ahwahnee hotel. The Sunday brunch is to die for.

Welcome to California! You'll love it!
Old Nov 28th, 2006, 01:06 PM

Hi Conky and all,
Thanks for your advice. I also am planning a similar drive from vegas to sf (in late december). Based on your advice, I'm now planning the flight option to stockton.
my question to you is: What car rental companies work there? It seems that all the regular ones don't work in stockton.
Or do you rent a car off airport?
Thx
Old Nov 28th, 2006, 01:47 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
If you're going to fly, then fly to San Francisco or Oakland. Southwest Airlines(www.southwest.com)fly from las Vegas to oakland and they're ususally inexpensive.You probably won't need a car most of the time you're in San Francisco.
Old Nov 28th, 2006, 01:58 PM

I really think even entertaining the thought of the dull drive between Las Vegas and San Francisco, especially in the winter when weather can blow the whole idea out of the water, is foolish. Especially when there are so many low-cost options in air travel.

Also: Flying into Stockton seems silly to me when carriers like JetBlue, Southwest and US Airways will get you into Oakland or San Francisco International quite cheaply. And you won't need a car in the City itself (I personally find a car in SF a complete liability).
Old Nov 28th, 2006, 02:14 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The Tioga Pass is closed now, since the winter storm yesterday.