Reload this Page >

What to do in Ann Arbor ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9th, 2001, 09:26 PM
cjevans

Help! Will be in Ann Arbor for 6 days with 10 boys ages 15 and 16 for a waterpolo tournament. What is there to do during the "down time" either during the day or evenings. Thanks

Old Jul 10th, 2001, 05:08 AM
thereuare

How jealous i am... Ann Arbor is one of the greatest little towns!!

There is a "Hands on Museum" for kids (right near the police station) which would make for a good time.

I highly recommend eating once at Zingerman's Deli (i'm from NYC, and this is one of the best delis i've ever been to, i like the #18 Georgia Reuben). The kids might like Cottage Inn Pizza/Restaurant. And a MUST is Stucchi's Ice Cream and Yogurt (2 locations, South University OR State St).

One night a week during the summer (i forget which day) they have "Movies on Top of the Park" which is a (free) outdoor movie shown on top of a Parking Garage. You may also be able to go inside the Michigan Stadium to take a look around (the gate is often unlocked at a specific entrance). Given you're a group of 10, you may be able to call the Athletic Dept. and be certain they will open it up for you (or at least give you times that the gate will be open).

Old Jul 10th, 2001, 07:48 AM
abc

Domino Farms. Do a websearch. Owned by the Domino Pizza guy.

Old Jul 10th, 2001, 07:53 AM
otto

You are about an hour outside Detroit, check the schedule for Tigers games.

Old Jul 10th, 2001, 07:53 AM
Professor Boredom

When are you going? World's largest art fair is held this or next month. That's "ART" fair -- not "Arts & Crafts" fair. No oak coatracks with hearts cut out of them, no Amish-imatated pottery, no bunnys and bears. Real... stinkin'... art!

Old Jul 10th, 2001, 09:18 AM
Owen O'Neill

I spent a weekend there in May and posted here with a similar inquiry prior to my trip - search the archives and youn should find some helpful information there. Most of the suggest offered to me were targeted at adults but there were some suitable for younger people - e.g. Henry Ford Museum, Dearborn Village etc.

Old Jul 10th, 2001, 11:30 AM
scigirl

The Art Fair is in July - the third week of July, if memory serves me. You can probably do a search on google.com and get the information. Almost the entire downtown is closed to traffic. There are loads of great free music, food booths, and of course work of artists from all over the country. Expect huge crowds. I grew up in Ann Arbor and would expect that 15 and 16 year-olds would really enjoy the art fair.

Old Jul 10th, 2001, 01:32 PM
lisa

I love Ann Arbor!

I second the nomination for Zingerman's Deli (fantastic) for lunch and Cottage Inn for dinner (very good pizza and Italian food). Also, they might like to stop at Drake's, which (assuming it's still there...) is an old-fashioned candy counter/drugstore with great candies. The Arboretum is a big beautiful park where you can picnic, play frisbee, etc. I agree that if you can get in to Michigan Stadium, you should take a peek -- it's pretty impressive. The Art Fair is wonderful if your visit coincides with that.

The Michigan Theatre is a glorious old movie house that has been restored. They show lots of old classics and also specialty things like animation festivals, etc. -- I highly recommend taking in a show (if you're lucky you may get an old Betty Boop cartoon & hear the organist before the show).

Old Jul 10th, 2001, 03:28 PM
scigirl

Drake's, sadly, has closed. A terrible loss - and has been replaced with the 10th or so coffee shop on the block.

Another suggestion: It is possible to rent canoes and make a trip down the Huron river - fun and the river is easy to navigate. There are several possible starting points so you can choose a trip length that is manageable.

Cottage Inn Pizza (Williams Street restuarant downtown, or several locations for delivery) is hands down the BEST pizza in Ann Arbor (and maybe any place). Yum.

Old Jul 10th, 2001, 03:51 PM
thereuare

Not only is Drake's gone, but...

we can't even send one of these 16 year olds into the Village Corner to get their ID revoked and posted on the wall behind the counter.

Village Corner is still there, but they no longer post their confiscated IDs.

Old Jul 10th, 2001, 04:09 PM
lisa

I'm so bummed that Drake's is gone!! Their chocolate covered pretzels and malted milk balls were a great comfort during long lectures...

I took a wine-tasting course in the Union that was taught by the guy who was the wine buyer for VC, which was great -- I'm glad at least that VC is still around...

Old Jul 10th, 2001, 06:24 PM
Eric

I really agree with the posters about Zingerman's Deli. I took my son to hockey camp there and ate at the deli 3 times. The sandwiches are great and the chocolate chip cookies are to die for. They also have a catalog in which I have ordered things for myself and for gifts. When polling the hockey players, the Cottage Inn got great reviews and I had to agree on the pizza. The University is great and I visited the Art Museum for a little culture and the hockey rink(coach Red Berensen still skates with the boys at hockey camp), football field and basketball arena were cool. If you like golf, there is a University golf course right by the Stadium and while you are at it pick up a maize and blue keepsake.

We went to a Tigers game and rode the tiger merry-go-round and the baseball ferris wheel(heard it just stalled on night and left people hanging). The Ford Museum is good and you are not far from Michigan State also.

I'm sure the boys will enjoy Ann Arbor, it was a great college town.

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 07:56 AM
cjevans

Thank you all SO MUCH!! We will be there Aug 7-12, your suggestions and advice are much appreciated.

Old Jul 12th, 2001, 08:41 AM
annof arbor

Ahhh........ yes, Zingerman's! A must do.