Help my post got hijacked!

Old Sep 17th, 2004, 08:36 PM
gyppielou

Help my post got hijacked!

So I started a thread about a mandatory %18 added to a restaurant bill rather than the expected %15. Friends...

So far my post has gotten 61 responses. Within the first 23 Steve, Sundown and dreamer2 responded to me. The other 20 drifted to other parts. Soooooo...

I checked in to try to bring the discussion back into the original focus.....15 vs 18 added to a bill........

Well eastraveler responded to my original questions, the other 36 posters gave no regard to OP. So of 60 posts only 4 addressed my thoughts. STRANGE. Actually quite bizarre that my originating thoughts were nearly completely ignored.

Old Sep 17th, 2004, 09:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It seems to me that with any thread that nets about 10 responses or more, the posters have usually drifted from the original question. Sometimes they come back, other times they don't. This always annoys me...but this time, I find myself guilty of the same on your thread. My only excuse is exhaustion after the first week of the kids-back-in-school routine. My apologies.
Old Sep 17th, 2004, 09:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i haVe youR Post. I WILL give iT 2 You
Old Sep 17th, 2004, 11:11 PM

Could be the other 54 posters or could have been the question. Tough call.

I read the question and I admit, I found the followup conversation to be interesting. The original question though I didn't get entirely as I wasn't aware that there had been a 15% to begin with. I've always left what I felt reflected my gratitude, in relation to what I felt was done to earn it. The mandatory "gratuity" isn't a tip at all, it's a service charge and in fact is pretty much just a fixed increase in the cost of the meal. I don't think well of that at all and wouldn't eat where it was a standard practice.

Old Sep 18th, 2004, 03:16 AM

Was it stated on the menu that this charge would be assessed? If so, what is the problem. If you didn't want to tip that much, leave.
Old Sep 18th, 2004, 03:32 AM

What is reall annoying is when somebody posts a question but then obviously is NOT listening to the ANSWERS it gets...could that be you in this case?
Old Sep 18th, 2004, 03:50 AM

Two styles in responses - one is like a professor in a classroom - that is, a question is asked, and all answers relate to that question. After about 10 responses, generally all that can be said has been said.

Second style is more conversational - while an initial question is asked, as with any group of people, the conversation drifts to areas of interest sparked by OP, but many are responses to responses to responses ...

I view this board as a conversation and certainly do not view original posters as professors, moderators, gatekeepers. Ignore the responses you don't like.
Old Sep 18th, 2004, 03:54 AM

I just read your original thread and the only question I found in your opening post was

"Whatever happened to the %15 gratuity?

the rest of your post seemed to just give your opinion. Most (way more than 4) of the responses were dealing the the various poilicies on tipping, so I don't see the problem, exactly.

BTW 18% is a norm expected and stated on the menu for larger parties in NY restaurants. And from what I see, (I eat out often) it's well-earned by most waitstaffs dealing with the demands of large dining parties simultaneously to the other diners. Stating it on the menu gives you an option to leave before using their services. I don't see the insult in that.

I don't think your post was hijacked, and also am not sure how many more responses you need,
Old Sep 18th, 2004, 04:14 AM

Gail,
I like your assessment!

It seems more appropriate when someone asks: "Should I go to This restaurant or That restaurant if I go to Some hotel?" to just answer.

However, when an "opinion" is asked, people tend to share thoughts, observations, experiences, and will certainly get off track. Like my post now... Ooops!

Hey, Typpie-lou, I think you started a very successful, lively thread over there. (Even though that may have not been your intent!)
Old Sep 18th, 2004, 04:52 AM

Sognatrice2 has said exactly what I was about to say.
Gyppielou, I'm not sure what your problem is here. What more did you want? The vast majority WERE responding to your only quesion "What happened to the 15% tip" and virtually all the others were responding to your other ramblings with similar ramblings of their own. Now what is your complaint here? Were you really just hoping that all 61 people would respond with a simple "Right on, I agree with you 100%" and then let it go at that? Sorry, but that ain't the way any discussion board works! If you can't tell that your original thoughts WEREN'T being ignored, but rather discussed, then I think you need another place to ramble where nobody else is allowed to -- sorry, I don't know where that is.

Now, do you think you could put into simple language exactly what it was you wanted from your original post?
Old Sep 18th, 2004, 05:07 AM

So we need another post to haggle on 3% (between 15 or 18%)?

Similar to my response on the last post, I give what I feel is appropriate at the time. If a service charge IS added where I am hosting a group and it is 18%, I know that up front, and if it's somewhere I want to take my guests, then I'll pay it. If it's somewhere I don't think deserves it or isn't worth it, I'll go elsewhere. 18% has been pretty standard for group rates for awhile (I worked in hotel convention and meeting services at least 10 years ago and that's what we were charging groups back then).

I think this second request equates pretty much the same as when you are socializing with a group of friends and you start a discussion and the discussion meanders into other topics or subtopics. Certainly, when that happens, you don't stomp your foot down and demand that people stop their discussion and go back to what you originally started talking about?? Things just aren't always black and white, as it appears that you want a specific black or white answer.
Old Sep 18th, 2004, 05:17 AM

I responded on the other thread with my thoughts on why the percentage has risen (pooling tips) (9/16/2004, 04:09 pm) but now my feelings are hurt 'cause gyppie didn't even notice.
Old Sep 18th, 2004, 06:36 AM

First of all how common is the practice of adding 18% to the bill? Not too common at all I think. Therefore it would seem most restaurant owners forego this practice because it would deter business. Unless the service and food are exceptional who would go to a place that adds this surcharge? It would take an establishment with a well earned reputation to have its customers agree to this practice. Personally I think tips are earned. I readily tip > 15 % (around 20 %) for exceptional service. However for lax service the tip is commeasurent with the effort. I do recall giving a mediocre tip for poor service once. The waiter was shocked and I told him the service was very lax (it was!) and left. We went to the same restaurant for lunch the next day. Well the word had spread apparently. The service was terrific and so was the tip. IMHO you get what you deserve. My experience with automatic gratuites is the service is a notch or two below the service where tips are per customers discretion. JM2C.
Old Sep 18th, 2004, 07:19 AM
GoTravel

Lalalalaalalalalalalala!

Old Sep 18th, 2004, 07:36 AM
gyppielou

phewww GT you have the sense to never take me so seriously...really was tryin to make a funny observation. Alas, I now must send Joan chocolates and flowers and hope she cheers up and forgives me! hehe

Old Sep 18th, 2004, 08:08 AM
GoTravel

Don't I get even a little sursy for noticing?

Old Sep 18th, 2004, 10:36 AM
jor

Get over it. The other post had a better discussion going. I posted on both. You are spending Way too much time on the stats.
Old Sep 18th, 2004, 11:53 PM

The hotel we have reservations at does not allow pets. If we smuggle our cat in and he smokes in bed, should we tip the maid 15& or 18% for emptying the ashes from the bed-linen, Gyppielou? btw, it's a non-smoking room.
Old Sep 19th, 2004, 07:36 AM
GoTravel

Tip the maid a bar of chocolate and click your heels three times and sneeze.

Old Sep 19th, 2004, 09:09 AM

Well my post got highjacked and frozen so I feel for you

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -