Help me travel and shop from my computer

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27th, 2006, 08:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've posted this on the European board, but I'm going to repeat it here.

So I'm on maternity bed rest for at least the next six weeks. I am allowed to sit at my computer (thank the lordy). I've been on bed rest for a week now and already getting a bit bored. So here is what I'd like from all of you.

Websites to visit!

Fun sites you've come across dealing with exciting places to travel (we will be doing somewhere in Europe in spring 2007), fun gadgets that you love, interesting shopping sites, historical information sites, anything interesting!

I'm trying to see this time as a gift to get things like finances and bills sorted and to maybe learn a few things. I love to learn about other cultures and how things are done in other places.

So show me the world! And help me shop. I have a ton of birthdays coming up.
Old Feb 27th, 2006, 09:03 AM

Overstock.com is a great site for bargain shopping. Hope your bedrest passes by quickly!
Old Feb 27th, 2006, 09:40 AM

I don't remember where I got this site, but its really interesting - from a woman that has served in Iraq.
http://www.armychic256bde.com/index.html

if you like jigsaw puzzles - I didn't until I tried this site.
http://www.jigzone.com/

more games, etc.
http://www.killsometime.com/illusion...asp?Sort=Alpha

places to see without leaving your computer
http://kroooz-cams.com/
Old Feb 27th, 2006, 10:50 AM

If you are going to shop on-line be sure to sign up for emails at your favorite stores - Bloomies, Nordstroms, etc...they will send you coupons and free shipping sales to your email address. I have an email address that I use for things like this so that it doesn't interfere with my "real" email. You can really get some great coupons and bargains - especially during Christmas!
Old Feb 27th, 2006, 11:00 AM

I like to browse recipes:

epicurious.com

And I like to browse shoes:

zappos.com
Old Feb 27th, 2006, 11:24 AM

Hi Kelliebellie,

I'm an expert in internet-related procrastination (ha!) and I could spend hours reading travel blogs online. If you're not familiar with blogs, they are essentially web-based journals (web-logs). If you just do a google search for "travel blogs" you'll come with a tons of sites that provide this service, such as travelblog.org. You can even search by area of the world! Of course, the quality of the writing & photography varies drastically, but that's part of the fun.
If you are technologically inclined, you could check out the new trend of colleges and universities posting podcasts on their sites. For example, my sister went to Stanford, and they are now offering a variety of faculty lectures and other speakers as downloadable podcasts
Old Feb 27th, 2006, 11:26 AM

(...oops, pressed post a little early)

In any case, several other schools have gotten into this too -- you can just do a search on a school's main site. The topics are pretty focused (some might say narrow and esoteric...) but it could be of interest to you, and it is a nice rest for your eyes after a long day of reading travel blogs!
Old Feb 27th, 2006, 11:31 AM

Hello! In addition to spending lots of time on Fodors (!!!) here are some things you might try:

Visit the sites of some of the travel TV shows: Passport to Europe, Rick Steve's, etc.

You can also get a "visual" feel for places by doing a Google Image search for just about place your heart desires! I find often that clicking on these leads me on a fun path- sometimes to travel blogs, online photo albums, etc.

I like to browse recipes as well, and FoodNetwork.com has a ton of fun stuff.

A nice store for gifts is Kate's Paperie (based here in NYC): www.katespaperie.com

Another idea that you may or may not be interested in is to take an online class. Many universities offer them now in a variety of subjects, and they're not always expensive. This might help you feel intellectually engaged, in addition to the fun of learning something new.

Enjoy!
Old Feb 27th, 2006, 01:12 PM

There is a very funny website that shows and sells abandoned/unclaimed items from various airports - I wish I remembered the name, but with all this time on your hands, you probably could find it. Searched it once for bargains, which it did not have - but it was amusing anyway.

Lonely Planet travel forums are always good for info and odd posts - not necessarily in that order.

Good luck with your bedrest - I used my 2 months of pregnancy bedrest 19 years ago (result of which is now in college) to organize recipes, professional journal articles - but also to watch an embarassing amount of bad TV. Get HBO or other movie channel if you don't already have it and become a movie expert.

Unsolicited word of advice - if you are allowed to use hand weights, do leg exercises, even isometrics, try to. I was surprised how quickly one becomes deconditioned lying on the sofa for weeks at a time.
Old Feb 27th, 2006, 01:35 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
other travel websites include:
Lonely Planet's forum The Thorn Tree
Rick Steves
Trip Advisor
Frommers
Slow Travel
Old Feb 27th, 2006, 01:35 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Town tourist websites can be fun, in Switzerland most have one similar to:
www.montreux.ch
www.vevey.ch
www.lausanne.ch
Old Feb 27th, 2006, 01:46 PM

Kelliebellie, your screen name put a smile on my face because a dear friend of mine, who I don't get to see very often, is nick named KelliBelli Hmmmmm......do you live in Charlotte and is there something you would like to tell me?!? Just kidding of course. I've had several friends go through what you are going through now--hang in there, it will be worth the wait!
Old Feb 27th, 2006, 01:52 PM

The site for "unclaeimed" (i.e., LOST) baggage stuff is:

http://www.unclaimedbaggage.com/

A popular blog that you can get lost in is

http://j-walkblog.com/

Go to the Ebay "Community" discussion boards and learn all about eBay; it's hilarious. Amd be sure to keep up with current urban legends at snopes.com
Old Feb 27th, 2006, 02:09 PM

www.buy.com -10% off amazon and generally better stocked than www.overstock.com

Check out the/our very active TA forum - Central Mexico - San Miguel de Allende.

M
Old Feb 27th, 2006, 02:33 PM

This is my absolute favorite -- one stop shopping for world news and everything inbetween... Arts and Letters Daily

http://www.aldaily.com/

Old Feb 27th, 2006, 02:58 PM

kelliebellie:

I was on bed rest for one month - I agree that it gets boring quickly!

Here is one of my favorite computer timekillers: go to Google, and type in "homes for sale in U.K.", or whichever country you're obsessed with. Fill in the minimum and maximum you're willing to spend on a house (I always put "no maximum" and pretend I'm J.K. Rowling, looking to buy a country estate). It's so much fun to view these homes, and look at the pictures of how they're decorated, etc.

Enjoy!
Old Feb 27th, 2006, 03:16 PM

I do that for Manhattan all the time!
Old Feb 27th, 2006, 03:41 PM

Drool over the hotels we'd all
love to stay in,
but probably aren't on Priceline!

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/luxury/index.html

or www.luxurylink.com and determine if the packages are a good "deal" or not....

Or www.skyauction.com and see if the properties are ones that no one really wants to stay at....

www.virtualtourist.com is fun

Search Emril's or Martha Stewart's
receipes!

Plan your T-giving menu down to the
receipes and shopping list....

Ok...that last one, I would do, and organize by food catagory!

Old Feb 27th, 2006, 03:55 PM

Before I internet shop, I like to check out the coupon codes, promo codes, special internet promotions - you know the ones that are sometimes on a catalog or a special mail offer, but you might not know them if you don't get that mailing - you can find them for all the stores and get better discounts aand/or free shipping, etc by putting into google.com - "coupon codes for shopping" - and a bunch of sites will come up that list the up to the minute codes -

sometimes saves you even more money.

I also like for small gifts (esp for teens, young people, funky accessories) www.stylebakery.com

I also like -
www.skin-one.com

Rest and be good - you will not get as much rest once that little one arrives !! Sending good wishes your way -
Old Feb 27th, 2006, 04:29 PM

Google anyone you can think of from your high school days and see what they have been doing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -