Help me plan my route through Colorado

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16th, 2011, 11:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This trek through Colorado is part of a long road trip including Black Hills SD, Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, and Santa Fe NM.

I am now trying to determine our path through Colorado. We will have 3 nights in Estes Park, (any recommendations here for lodging?)
Breckenridge (overnight)
285 down to 24 and up through Aspen to
Glenwood Springs (overnight).
Down 135 to 133 through Crested Butte.
Gunnison (overnight)
Montrose (overnight). I figured staying in both Gunnison and Montrose will give us plenty of time to explore the Black Canyon area.
Durango 2 nights.

The original plan was Estes Park, Breckenridge, Montrose and then on to Durango. but if this route will add a lot to the scenery we are willing to take the time and extra nights.

Please give your feedback on this itinerary through the area.
Old Aug 16th, 2011, 03:28 PM

Spouse and I recently returned from a Colorado road trip. For a portion of it, we stayed at the Hampton Inn in Glenwood Springs and would recommend it. We drove Highway 133 to Highway 92 to the Black Canyon area. It was a beautiful drive as I'm sure the drive to Crested Butte is. Black Canyon is beautiful. Spent an afternoon there driving from point to point. In Montrose we stayed at the Hampton Inn. Had a great rate and the hotel seemed recently built. Also stayed at the Hampton Inn in Durango. It was OK, clean, etc., but not worth the rate for an older Hampton Inn.

If you haven't driven Highway 550 from Ouray to Durango, be prepared for a beautiful scenic jaw dropping drive.

Enjoy your trip. We love Colorado.
Old Aug 16th, 2011, 05:10 PM

If you can find the time, I'd add Mesa Verde National Park to your items to see in Colorado.

Utahtea
Old Aug 16th, 2011, 05:16 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
For Estes Park, I highly recommend The Silver Moon Inn which is just a short walk to town and The Deer Crest on Fall River (adults only) which is further out, but even better IMO.
Old Aug 17th, 2011, 05:44 AM

I think I'd choose either Montrose or Gunnison. Montrose smells like cows to me or at least the airport does. Its also fairly hot.

Gunnison is a very western old colorado town. I think it has a bit more charm than Montrose.

But Crested Butte gets my vote for charm and old Colorado. Maybe you should spend a night in Crested Butte to get a real mountain town feel, then of course drive through Gunnison on your way to the black Canyon. but Montrose adn Gunnison are so close to each other that I don't think moving hotels twice is maximizing time which is why i suggested Crested Butte and then maybe Montrose.
Old Aug 17th, 2011, 05:58 AM

I would also take a pass on Montrose. Either add another day to Durango to see Mesa Verde NP or swap Ouray for Montrose. You could also swap Telluride for Montrose.