Help me choose - MI, B&B getaway!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13th, 2005, 07:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please help - haven't stayed in MI prior and have no clue as to what to pick.

I'd like to surprise my boyfriend for his B-day (which conveniently falls on Memorial Day weekend) and book a nice getaway for us. Thinking South Haven, Saugatuck/Douglas, Union Pier. Something 2.5 hrs of driving from Chicago, tops.

Here are my choices so far:
Sherwood Woods Inn, Douglas
Lake Shore Resort, Saugatuck
Chestnut House, St. Joseph
Duneland Inn, Union Pier

I like: nice sandy beach, forest-y grounds, peace and quiet, in room Jacuzzi, great food, spic-n-span clean, unique stuff.

I like to avoid: crowds, screaming kids, crowds with screaming kids, anything "family"-friendly/campy, noise, lines.

Please help: location and B&B suggestions in SE Michigan? are any of my picks good? My b/f and I both traveled extensively and are a bit picky, but very reasonable.

n.
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 11:51 AM

Can't help you with the B&B choices but I would make a decision quickly. Memorial Day week-end is the unofficial start of summer in Michigan and places fill quickly.

You'll have fun wherever you pick.
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 10:18 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for reply, Suzie!

I picked Yelton Manor B&B, which has the best reviews and is supposed to be closest to the beach... can't wait.

Could someone tell me please if end of May-early June in SW Michigan are normally pretty sunny? if *hope not* it were to rain - what's there to do, if anything - outside of your room?

Also, when in lake Michigan around SH/Saugatuck swimmable (pretty sure it ain't May, but I'd like to know in case we want to return

n
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 05:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Living 25 miles north of, I can speak knowledgeably of the weather. Yes, sunny, except that for some reason it always manages to rain sometime on Memorial Day. Sunny the day before, summy the day after. Always. How can that be? I think it will be nice, even though it lacks forest.
Old Apr 16th, 2005, 05:35 AM

Nadyam, give you a couple of suggestions for your trip up to MI. It appears you live around Chicago. Hope I'm not reading your message incorrectly.

Take either the Toll Road or #94 (probably the Toll Road would be much quicker, especially on a major holiday weekend) to the Chesterton, Indiana exit. Then go NB on #49 up to US #12 EB (not #20). This is a lovely stretch of road right below the Indiana Dunes National Park. In fact, if you wanted to stop and hike a bit, you are right at an entrance there.

Continue on EB #12 through Michigan City, IN right up into Michigan. Stop at New Buffalo for a short visit. Then head up the Red Arrow Highway; there are plenty of little shops along the way to poke around in.

Warren Woods Preserve is a wonderful place to stop on your way up to South Haven. I think it's just the forest-y area you would like. The Harbor Country website has a virtual tour of Warren Woods to give you an idea of it. Also, you and your boyfriend have to go up Warren Dunes at least once in your lifetimes.

Strongly recommend the Red Arrow Roadhouse for a meal.

There are several wineries on the way up to South Haven - there's a couple of websites online that give you the information on the ones in that immediate area.

Lastly, Saugatuck...get there EARLY. It's much easier to get a parking space and the crowds start getting heavier about noonish-1 pm. By that time, you'll probably have seen most of what you want and can continue your explorations in Michigan.

Have a great time there.
Old Apr 16th, 2005, 01:17 PM

Nadyam, what I meant earlier was...when I mentioned the lovely stretch of road just south of the Indiana Dunes National Park, I was referring to EB #12. Sorry for any confusion.
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 07:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all for great advice!

Tomboy - always rains on Memorial day... too funny. But it seems like I can say same for Chicago.
At any rate, I changed my reservation for Independence day weekend instead! longer wait for better weather...

Tomboy, can you swim in lake around South Haven in July? and, does it rain on 4th of July normally (hope not).

The lack of woods is ok... I notice that wooded lake areas tend to have mosquitoes or those tiny black flies that bite like heck. Yelton Manor is supposed to be the best in B&B in Michigan and one of best in the county.

Exiledprincess - thanks for the Dunes and wineries tip - we'll definitely be stopping to check out both while driving to South Haven.

Nadya
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 08:17 AM

Nadyan, you'll love Yelton Manor-it's a great place, right across from the beach and South Haven is a great town. They usually have a festival over the 4th-check out Southhaven.org. The water will be chilly but the brave venture in! For a picnic on the beach, check out the store one block off the main street (turn left at Clementines and then right for wine and cheese!) Can't remember the name of it though but you can't miss it.
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 10:39 AM

I just remembered the store's name is Ambrosia-a great gourmet shop with a good wine and cheese collection. If you tell them you're going to the beach, they'll open the wine for you.
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 11:27 AM
JJ5

I've been to all these places and they are fun. They won't be as crowded on Memorial Day weekend as they will be mid-summer or on the 4th of July weekend.

You ask many weather questions. Michigan is very much cooler by the big lake (Michigan)- at least 4 or 5 degrees cooler much of the time. And if you are a FL/Gulf/swimming pool person etc. you will find it cool to too cold for swimming. Also, I am inland from there by a county and have been in Michigan for the last 5 Memorial Days (right in your designated area) and it has never been swimming weather. Boating, yes. Swimming, no. We can do the jetskis with a wet suit.

I actually went swimming in Michigan but not in the big lake but in Big Fish (600 acres) last weekend, April 16-17, 2005. It is recorded for posterity. But our lake is much, much quicker to warm than Lake Michigan is.

Actually, as nice as this area is- the area North of it on Lake Michigan is nicer, IMHO. The last few years I have sent students (19 to 23 years old) off with some specific directions to Mears etc. and the sand dunes you can ride on with your car or rented jeep/buggy and they have told me that Saugatuck is for the "old folks" and they bypass that area totally now. Of course, they are looking for adrenaline rush fun, so shopping and crowds is not what they were looking for in the first place- but they didn't really realize that fact, themselves. Do you like artsy/crafts/antique/clothes shopping?

The alternate route and other advice you have been given is excellent, and there is so much to do inland- if you cared to- that you just won't be bored. During some three week period in July there will also be blueberry picking and many other festivals going on.
Old Apr 21st, 2005, 06:28 AM

Wise move. July 4th, on the other hand, is always sunny. Why?
No problem with mosquitoes or black flies in South Haven.
The lake temperature should be up to 65 F by then.
Saugatuck/Douglas will be only 15 minutes north. Wine-tasting places 30-45 minutes south (and one, 12 minutes east).
Old Apr 21st, 2005, 02:23 PM
Original Poster

Oh, what helpful tips, thanks all again!!

swalter518 - I will check out the Ambrosia; the picnic with wine/cheese sounds lovely.

tomboy, thanks for the re-assurance about the weather and the lack of insects I feel better now having to wait until July...

jj5 - I DID switch our reservation to Independence day/4th of July... since we have a better chance of getting our feet wet then - 65 degrees is not too bad, for water. (Ok, it's a bit cold, but our desire to take a swim would be in direct correlation to amount of that Ambrosia wine consumed at the picnic).

I do like little shops, etc; but we like to spend as much time outdoors as possible. Plan on walking a lot. Maybe do some jogging. Would be thrilled to do some blueberry picking. Elaine the wonderful host of Yelton, told me about the lakeside fireworks on the 2nd and parade on the 4th. Also, it would be nice go on a short hike and maybe see some deer and neat birds? we are wildlife-deprived here in Chicago. My b/f would finally would get some use out of his fancy binoculars there.

I poked around some MI beach directories and it tells me that beach across from Yelton Manor is named Packard Park... by North Shore/Dyckman street. Can't find any pictures of it, but I trust it to be as nice as people say it is.

Oh yes - we love to eat as well. Can anyone please recommend a good restaurant for dinner in So Haven or Saugatuck area? Steak or similar, maybe with an outdoor seating?

Thanks again for all the help!

nadya
Old Apr 22nd, 2005, 05:40 AM

Chequers in Saugatuck is where I always dine when I'm in town. Get the fish and chips. No outdoor seating, though.
Old Apr 22nd, 2005, 06:02 AM
JJ5

Being at Yelton, it will be great to just walk the beach etc. and enjoy that lovely establishment. If the weather is very, very hot- the swim will feel great and you won't feel the water temperature as chilly for more than a couple of minutes. Mosquitos are much worse in August onwards, but that close to Lake Michigan they are less and in June non-existent. Bring something with DEET in it to use regardless.

Do know that these places (Saugatuck especially) are extremely crowded with families and large groups on the 4th of July weekend- but I've been to the fireworks etc. and you'll have a great time. And whatever you do, do not forget to view at least one Lake Michigan sunset. Try not to be inside eating or whatever when it's happening.
They are spectacular.

And also, I don't know what time you are driving in exactly- but on 4th of July weekend the traffic on 80-94 can get discouraging- and with construction expanded from Chicago this year- mind-boggling to the unaware. So do have some good current maps handy. There are alternates that may have to be used (Ridge Road- Rte. 30 are two of them). And if you are coming from Chicago proper (downtown) you might not feel it quite as much, but then again you may.
This also includes the entire 3 or 4 days before the holiday and the couple of days after.
Old Apr 22nd, 2005, 07:05 AM

If it's deer you want, deer you get.
Just north of Saugatuck perhaps 3 miles, there is Saugatuck Dunes State Park (quite undeveloped). Adjacent to it is acreage that used to be a state prison (between maybe 1970 & 1995, when the state torn it down). Close to twilight, deer can be seen wandering the meadows. It's typical W.Mich.sand dune forest (not beautiful, just serene).If that's along the lines of your interest, I could give you closer direction, altho maybe you could find it on mapquest or such.
Also, if you'd like to pick blueberries, perhaps you'd like to pick cherries. There's an orchard south of Jamestown (southwest of Grand Rapids) which has both sweet and tart cherries u-pick (chestnuts in the fall). If interested in where, advise.
I second Chequers (pub-type food)or Toulouse (up-scale French-type food); there's also Chaps, in Douglas, Mich (Saugatuck's sister city acroos the river).
Old Apr 22nd, 2005, 07:09 AM

I had intended to add, the orchard would be about 40 minutes from Felton manor. That would be lots better than a 6 hour drive to Traverse City.
Old Apr 22nd, 2005, 08:55 AM
JJ5

tomboy, I don't wait to hyjack a thread but please tell me about your cherry picking place that is s of Jamestown and sw of Grand Rapids. It has to be within a 20 minute or so ride from me (near Marcellus, MI). What is the name of it? Please!

I have two favorite blueberry picking places and some for apples/peach etc. but nary a good one for CHERRIES. Don't like the one I tried. And my dad just adores chestnuts, thinks he is back in Germany when he gets them. THANK YOU, thank YOU!
Old Apr 22nd, 2005, 12:42 PM

You can Google driving directions:
Herb DeKein Orchard
1887 32nd Ave
Hudsonville, MI 49426
(616) 896-8453
By the way, they've a machine that pits the tart cherries for you, at a small cost. They also sell some dried cherries. ENJOY!
Old Apr 22nd, 2005, 01:48 PM
JJ5

Oh Thank You, tomboy. I am going to do the online directions right now. This is so close that I bet we do it again and again.

See what great things you learn on Fodors! So many small towns and farms etc. - that I can't find ALL of these good things by myself.

Old Apr 22nd, 2005, 06:48 PM

Glad I could help. Perhaps you could advise what to do with chestnuts. I bought them once, then didn't know what to do with them. Made some insipid turkey stuffing,as I recall.
We had so much fun picking cherries we did 4 lbs of the sweet (20 of the tart). Then we couldn't figure out what to do with the sweet (4# is a lot to eat before they get moldy). Wound up making some cherry sauce for pork roast and freezing it

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -