Help!!! Leaving in 2 days & feel flu-ish!

Old Dec 4th, 2002, 11:07 AM
Oh No!

Help!!! Leaving in 2 days & feel flu-ish!

I'm starting to get a fever, stomache is queasy & can't concentrate. Can anyone help with a remedy for feeling punk?

Old Dec 4th, 2002, 11:20 AM
janet

Yes, call your doctor.

Old Dec 4th, 2002, 11:23 AM
Oh No!

Wow, thanks a ton, Janet - but I can't get in to see her for a week...does anyone swear by an over-the-counter remedy?

Old Dec 4th, 2002, 11:26 AM
Dr. Jan

Start drinking a lot of water; get as much rest as you can.

Old Dec 4th, 2002, 11:41 AM
Faina

I swear by the light-green colored chinese flu pills, here in SF they sell them 100 per bottle for $4-5, you take 3-5 at a time 3 times a day. Being at work now I can't look at the bottle to let you know the name of it, but if there is a chinese store close to you they should have it, even in food stores, just tell them flu herbal pills.

Old Dec 4th, 2002, 11:45 AM
trouble

I feel for you. Been there.

I don't know of anything for stomach flu, but getting over it. Usually the worst passes quickly, so you can hope. You might want to carry something like Kaopectate as you travel, if the flu hasn't already totally passed through your body by the time you have to leave.

A lot of over the counter meds are real effective for many flu symptoms, like fever and congestion. I'm sure your local pharmacist can give you lots of recommendations. My family finds Thera-flu is helpful. Just remember, some meds make you sleepy and some don't. Consider getting both types.

Good luck!

Old Dec 4th, 2002, 11:49 AM
Oh No!

Thank you all for your help!!!! I REALLY appreciate it.

Old Dec 4th, 2002, 11:51 AM
xxx

I swear by ThermaFlu, but I use it more for cold symptoms. Head home, drink lots and lots of cranberry juice and sleep as much as possible. It's amazing what a good rest day can do for your health.

Old Dec 4th, 2002, 11:52 AM
Ginny

Can't you explain the situation to the appt desk at your doctor's office? My doctor usually builds in time for emergencies. If that doesn't work, go to one of those urgent care clinics.

Old Dec 4th, 2002, 11:58 AM
joan

Don't know if this works for just any virus, but I swear by Cold-Eeze. Must take about 3 the first day, 3 the second. They don't prevent virus, but lessen the severity and shorten the duration! They do ruin your tastebuds, but they're usually shot anyway with viruses.

Old Dec 4th, 2002, 12:17 PM
Ms

You might call your doctors office and speak with the advise nurse. You could describe your symptoms. They often know what is going around, what its course is, and whether or not the doctor could really help you. Usually, the doctor doesn't have any special tricks for flu, as it is viral.

Sometimes complications could follow, like if you get dehydrated, or if you get a follow-on infection, and then a doctor would be able to help. But that isn't something that can really be addressed by a doctor before it happens. (Unless you always get an infection after the flu, in which case, perhaps the doctor would write a prescription for anti-biotics that you could pick up and fill if needed on your vacation. You could ask the nurse about this.)

Old Dec 4th, 2002, 12:20 PM
x

There is some new stuff out now to treat the flu but you need a prescription. If you can't get in to see the doc see if he/she will write you a prescription....

Old Dec 4th, 2002, 12:22 PM
x

Go to one of those Neighborhood Doctor places. I got sick on Saturday, went there on Sunday and an hour after the appt I had an antibiotic. It was great.

Old Dec 4th, 2002, 12:36 PM
Doc

Yes, I'm a real physician. Board certified and all. The best advice I can give you is symptomatic relief and rest until the trip. The poster above was exactly right. Most of this junk is viral. Like any virus, there is really no cure. The medication referred to above is for Influenza Type A, a respiratory virus. It won't help. Phenergan for nausea, anti-diarrheals for the "runs" and fluids are the only real options here. This all assumes you really do have the "flu" and not something else. I suggest good old fashioned allopathic medicine...i.e. go see a doctor if you can. There are plenty of "doc in a box" locations all over most urban cities. Good luck!

Old Dec 4th, 2002, 01:02 PM
Doctor Jose

I'm a doctor too. Your situation has an easy fix. During the day, drink lots of water, avoid dairy, and eat lots of lean protein and fruits.

Try to get to sleep an hour or two earlier than you normally do, and an hour before that, take five shots of tequila and bite into a lime.

Repeat for two days and call me in the manana.

Old Dec 4th, 2002, 01:26 PM
Oh No!

HAHAHAH! I LOVE you guys!!! Now, I am leaving for home, drinking my water & going to bed.