Help in Oahu

Old May 10th, 1999, 03:56 PM
Phillip and Shiloh Edmondson

Help in Oahu

Help! My wife and I just found out that we are going to visit with family in HA. We will be staying at the Outrigger East near Wakiki (sp). We will be visiting for 4-5 days and want to make good use of our time and energy. Looking for some tips of some things to do during the day, besides going to the beach, and some great places to eat. We want to experience as much of the culture as we can. Please help! Thanks!

Old May 11th, 1999, 08:18 AM
Emily

Good choice of hotels -- the Outrigger East is our family's favorite. The kitchenette suites are very good value.

Spend one day walking around Waikiki and then head out for the rest of the island.

My favorites in Honolulu are -- the Iolani Palace, especially on Friday when the Royal Hawaiian band is playing; Chinatown for lots of good food; the Aloha Stadium Swapmeet (check the days) for souvenirs; and the Pearl Harbor Tour.

Outside of Honolulu, drive or take TheBus to Haleiwa, a lovely little surfer town on the North Shore. Don't miss Matsumoto's grocery store for a shave ice!

Old May 16th, 1999, 01:41 PM
Sandi

Hello. I thought I'd bring this message back to the top for more replies. I also plan to visit Oahu, but only for one day. Will be on Maui the remainder of my Hawaii adventure. I will arrive at Honolulu airport at 7:30 a.m., pick up a rental car and head to Pearl Harbor. Then I would like to see either the Polynesian Cultural Center or the Bishop Museum. Which is more worthwhile? If I do go to the Polynesian Cultural Center, don't really care to stay for the luau or night show. The boat parade sounds interesting though. Any comments? After all this will be spending the night at Waikiki Parkside Hotel. Can anyone recommend a restaurant near this hotel in the $15 - $20 price range? Something fun with lively music?
Lastly, I know Honolulu is a huge city, and I am more than a little apprehensive about driving and finding my way around. Any advice for getting to and from the airport? Thanks everyone.

Phillip and Shiloh, sorry for hogging in on your post, but it was already several pages back and I thought by bringing it to the top we could both benefit.

Old May 16th, 1999, 07:16 PM
Cheryl Z.

If you like Italian food, some of our favorite restaurants in the Waikiki area are either of the Verbano's locations, Auunti Pasti's, and right in Waikiki a little "hole in the wall" called Arancino. All reasonably priced. A pricier Italian restaurant is Sergio's.

Old May 17th, 1999, 06:26 AM
Julie

Just returned from Hawaii. I would recommend the Polynesian Cultural Center. DO NOT miss the Samoa show. It was great!

We didn't go to the Bishop Museum - spent most of our vacation on Maui.

Have a great time!

Old May 20th, 1999, 07:48 AM
kirk Banfield

Sandi,

Go with the Bishop Museum (closer and PCC is an all day affair.

Phillip,
Check out the Waikiki aquarium. Great Audio tour system & 1/2 price coupon in Hawaii entertainment book. Also great snorkeling at Hanauma (sp?) bay. Bright fish right in your face! Good luck.

Old May 21st, 1999, 10:32 AM
Greg

Things to do on Oahu:

1. Polynesian Cultural Center is fun for the "touristy" polynesian entertaiment and luau setting. It's located in Laie which is a 1 hr. 15 min. drive from Waikiki.

2. Bishop Museum documents Hawaii history and has many artifacts. But if I would recommend going to Iolani Palace first since the tour will give you some insight to history and view the only royal palace in the U.S.

3. The tours of both the Arizona Memorial and Battleship Missouri are not to be missed. Haven't seen the Missouri yet. But the feeling of remembrance gives "chicken skin".

4. Waikiki is just a bunch a buildings with a crowded beach. For a more picturesque beach head for Sans Souci or Ala Moana Beach Park (to stay nr. Waikiki), Kailua Beach, Lanikai Beach, or anywhere on the North Shore. Eat Matsumoto's shave ice in Haleiwa. It's da best, brah!

5. There's live Hawaiian music at the major hotels like the Sheraton, Moana Surfrider and Halekulani. Call to check. Some restaurant recommendations are Duke's Canoe Club $$(fun, hawaiian decor and music), Yanagi Sushi $$, Ono Hawaiian Foods on Kapahulu Ave. $, Alan Wong's $$$in McCully and Sam Choy's $$$ near the zoo.

6. A very interesting destination is the fish auction at the United Fishing Agency on 117 Ahui in Kakaako nr. Kakaako Waterfront Park. Held Mon-Sat at 5:30 am bell ring to whenever all the fish are sold. TONS of fish (ahi, mahimahi, ono, etc.) on pallets to be auctioned in an impossible to decipher lingo. Cool and wear shoes.

7. Strolling through Chinatown and it's shops and open markets in the late morning. The fish stalls start closing at 1:30 pm. Have lunch or dim sum in the neighborhood.

8. Other points of interest: Honolulu Academy of Arts, Nat. Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific at Punchbowl, Hawaiian concert at the Waikiki Shell, Hanauma Bay and Waikiki Aquarium.

Old May 21st, 1999, 12:05 PM
Becky

GREAT suggetions in above letters, which I will keep for future trips to my favorite place on earth. I would add the following possibilities: If you are interested in history, another recommended spot is the Mission Houses Museum, and nearby church. You will then be in the downtown area(especially if you also go to Iolani Palace) and can find numerous stands for "plate lunch" that the workers (yes, they are at work, but notice that hardly any guys are in stuffy suit and tie!) will be heading for(and you can feel happy that you are on vacation while they are working). My favorite "shopping center" is the Aloha Tower Marketplace, with some neat stores in a beautiful open-air complex where the breezes sweep through no matter how hot the day is. Next door to that is the Maritime Museum, which , if you don't have time for an all-day trip to the Bishop, is a good place to spend a few hours and learn the history of Hawaii from the first Polynesians to the days of the Pan Am planes and cruise lines(there's a ship's deck that you walk on), outrigger canoes, navigation by the stars, and lots of other great exhibits. Have a wonderful trip, you lucky people. Aloha.