Help!! I5 or Hwy 97??

Search

Help!! I5 or Hwy 97??

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23rd, 2016, 05:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help!! I5 or Hwy 97??

Hello! I do not have alot of experience driving through mountain areas and will be travelling along with my elderly mother and 2 dogs from San Diego to Seattle in May. Originally, i was going to take the I5 all the way to make good time but i am a little worried about Siskiyou Summit. Can anyone give me advice?? Is hwy 97 twisty, turny with steep hills?
Old Apr 23rd, 2016, 06:01 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
There is a steep hill in the Trinity Alps north of Lake Shastina on I-5 before you get to Weed.
The Siskiyou Summit is not a problem if your vehicle is in good shape and the weather is good.
There is one long hill on US 97 north of the Logging Museum before you get to the truckers chrome store (MP 234).
I would take US 97 only if you always wanted to spend a night in Bend. There is also a big hill on 97 north of Madras between the US 97 - 197 split and The Dalles.
Were you planning on 2 nights -one in CA and another in OR?
Old Apr 23rd, 2016, 06:08 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Siskiyou Summit has relatively gentle slopes, and since I-5 is a freeway there aren't any hairpin curves or overly difficult driving conditions.

US 97 crosses a couple of summits in California before entering Oregon; I believe these are higher than Siskiyou summit; however it's been long enough since I drove it that I don't recall if the road is especially twisty. In Oregon US 97 doesn't cross any mountains, but you'd have to get over the Cascades at some point, or maybe through the Columbia Gorge on I-84.

If speed is the issue I think you're better off using I-5. To avoid all mountain passes, however, you could use US 101, which stays closer to the coast. From San Diego to Seattle using US 101 (I usually cut over to I-5 using Oregon Hwy 38) will take around 7-8 hours longer "wheels turning" than via I-5. It's a much more pleasant ride, however.
Old Apr 23rd, 2016, 06:13 AM

I-5 is much better because it has more lanes. I remember heavy commercial traffic on 97 the last time I drove that highway from the Oregon border to Bend. 97 from Bend up through Washington to Osoyoos BC is a good drive, except for the stretch from I-5 to 520 (Blewett Pass).

The twists and turns on I-5 start in northern California, but that is also where the beautiful scenery is.

Millions of people have driven this stretch of I-5 over the past few years, many traveled with more animals, more young children, and more elderly relatives than you (some of them pulling all their possessions in trailers). I don't usually like the phrase, "If they can do it, you can do it," but in this case it applies.

If the thought of the drive makes you too uncomfortable, you should fly or take the train and rent a car in Seattle.

HTtY
Old Apr 23rd, 2016, 06:59 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I-5 has no real 'twist and turns' like a typical mountain road. There are bends in the road - sure. But it is a freeway and open road all the way. If you're at all a nervous mountain driver -- definitely take I-5.

Try to avoid being on the Tracy > Stockton > Sacramento > Woodland section during the morning and afternoon commutes - ESPECIALLY the morning commute between about 7 and 9 AM. (northbound the afternoon commute won't be too bad but it is still congested)
Old Apr 23rd, 2016, 07:00 AM

Log onto Google Earth and see for yourself if 97 has twisty turns...you will find that it does not. It does rise to an elevation higher than Siskiyou Summit but the change is gradual. Compared to the freeway, there is no "driving through mountains"