Reload this Page >

Help? I want to go to Maui!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1st, 2003, 04:01 PM
hung up

I'm jealous. I want to go to Maui but can't afford it? How are you all doing it! Is it cheaper to do a package deal or splitting up air and hotel. Yes we do have a Entertainment book for 2003. Someone plz help me do a budget so we can go to Hawaii. Love to go in October or beginning of November this year. I always see deals to stay at the Maui Islander. But that's located off the highway. I want a condo right on the beach preferably in Kaanapali area. (Am I dreaming?)
Thx!

Old Jan 1st, 2003, 06:13 PM
brenda

Perhaps if you give some idea of your budget for lodging, we may be able to steer you to affordable places. Beachfront may cost you more, but than again, someone may have had a good deal recently.

Old Jan 1st, 2003, 06:45 PM
p.

Agreed, budget, what size condo and also idea of any particular activities you'd like to be close to. Suggest buy Maui Revealed book (new edition just out) or look at website to start (wizardpub.com). Unless you're on the west coast the airfare is also significant (unless you can use FF miles in which case claim your slot pretty soon). Happy planning !

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 07:28 AM
Kip

Go to Maui in early to mid Nov. That is the off season and most hotels/resorts will have significant discounts. Unfortunately there is really no way around the cost. You can try staying at some B&B's (usually less expensive) but you take a chance with those.
Meals are going to cost you. There are fast food places where you can get reasonably priced food.

Sign up for the major airlines fare emails. They often send out discounted fair offers to Maui and other places via email. You have to be flexible on your travel dates but you can save some coin by watching for that.

Maui isn't cheap but it can be done without selling limbs, blood, first born, etc.

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 07:57 AM
Sarah

Hi hung up

Maui Islander is nice for the money you save. I have stayed there no it is not an ocean view but it is quiet and central. I seemed to remember walking back from Lahaina. You are this excited you will be on the go anyway. Have you looked into condos. You can get very lucky that way some times. I know of a studio on Kauai, Princeville for $400 a week. Never stayed because I do worry about what you will get at that price but in me younger days I was never horrified with budget savers like that. Just have become a bit cautious for some weird reason. Sure if you looked very hard you might see something similar or a little higher on Maui.

Kihai (sp) is cheap but it is a distance from Lahaina and I did not like that years ago.

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 04:31 PM
hung up

Thanks for the insight. We were looking at Kaanapali area. Aston Kaanapali Shores or Mahana. Kaanapali Ali too expensive. We live midwest, so airfare will be expensive.

Old Jan 3rd, 2003, 04:35 PM
rj

Just keep checking certain websites. You can sign up for Travelocity airfares or Travelzoo, and they will contact you via e-mail when they have discounted fares to the selected cities you request.

Old Jan 3rd, 2003, 08:25 PM
freewoman

You have picked the right time of the year to go. We went to the Big Island the week before Thanksgiving and got an incredible price. For two rt airfares and 7 nights hotel we went for $620 per person. We could have gone to Maui for about that same price, but had already been there and wanted to see the BI. Believe it or not this was an American Airlines Vacation. Go to aavacations.com. I have found that their end of year prices to hawaii and hard to beat. BTW I thought Maui was paradise when I was there and didn't even want to come back home!!

Old Jan 4th, 2003, 06:44 AM
Gina

hung up-Try bidding priceline for airfare and hotels. Go to biddingfortravel website. They show you how to use priceline. Good luck.

Old Jan 4th, 2003, 09:42 AM
DJ

If you want a condo on the beach, of course, you're going to pay more at any time of the year - but I think that's the way to go! I've been to Maui more than 10 times & love it. Ka'anapali Ali'i right on Ka'anapali beach is wonderful, but pricey. You will pay less for a garden view unit. Personally, I like to sit on my lanai & eat breakfast while I watch the whales. Try doing a search for condo owner direct deals - buy a copy of "Hawaii" magazine - there are ads in the back by owners where you can find some pretty good deals. One of my favorite places to stay is a gated townhome development at the south end of Lahaina. The townhomes have everything you could possibly need! Another less expensive property is Papakea, condos just north of Ka'anapali. Hope you find what you want - Aloha!

Old Jan 4th, 2003, 12:04 PM
Nova

I go to Maui once or twice a year from the east coast of Canada and I can guarantee you that it can be done without spending a fortune (even when $1 Cdn = $0.63 US). First of all get a credit card that accumulates frequent flyer points and put ALL your purchases on that card until you have enough to fly to Maui.

Check tarvel web sites such as Travelocity for deals on airfare and use your frequent flyer points only if you can get a real deal. Two years ago I flew from the east coast for about $300 US. It wasn't worth using the ff points and you get more points for the $300 fare.

When your airfare is taken care of, then you look for a deal on accomodations. A condo gives you more room than a hotel plus you can prepare some meals in your condo. I prefer Kaanapali Beach. The most affordable places right on the beach are the Kaanapali Beach Hotel, the Royal Lahaina Hotel, and the Whaler (condo). Even cheaper is the Maui Elodorado (condo)which is about a five minute walk from the center of Kaanapali beach. If you are on a high floor in a high rise on the beach it takes you that long to get to the beach anyway

Forget the Maui Islander (no beach, poor location, no nothing). Forget the Kaanapali Shores (it is in Honokawai not Kaanapali and it has virtually no beach). Mahana is a good place on a pretty good beach but it is also in Honokowai, not Kaanapali. Some places advertise "Kaanapali area" which os not the same as "Kaanapali Beach".

If you really want to save some money stay in one of the communities just a few miles north of Kaanapali Beach - Honokawai, Kahana, and Napili. There are a number of affordable condos there but not many of them have nice beachfront. The Valley Isle Resort (in Honokowai)is a real bargain on a nice beach and it is only about three miles from Kaanapali and six miles from Lahaina. It is a modest but very acceptable property.

Hope this helps !!

Old Jan 4th, 2003, 12:07 PM
Nova

I go to Maui once or twice a year from the east coast of Canada and I can guarantee you that it can be done without spending a fortune (even when $1 Cdn = $0.63 US). First of all get a credit card that accumulates frequent flyer points and put ALL your purchases on that card until you have enough to fly to Maui.

Check tarvel web sites such as Travelocity for deals on airfare and use your frequent flyer points only if you can get a real deal. Two years ago I flew from the east coast for about $300 US. It wasn't worth using the ff points and you get more points for the $300 fare.

When your airfare is taken care of, then you look for a deal on accomodations. A condo gives you more room than a hotel plus you can prepare some meals in your condo. I prefer Kaanapali Beach. The most affordable places right on the beach are the Kaanapali Beach Hotel, the Royal Lahaina Hotel, and the Whaler (condo). Even cheaper is the Maui Elodorado (condo)which is about a five minute walk from the center of Kaanapali beach. If you are on a high floor in a high rise on the beach it takes you that long to get to the beach anyway

Forget the Maui Islander (no beach, poor location, no nothing). Forget the Kaanapali Shores (it is in Honokawai not Kaanapali and it has virtually no beach). Mahana is a good place on a pretty good beach but it is also in Honokowai, not Kaanapali. Some places advertise "Kaanapali area" which os not the same as "Kaanapali Beach".

If you really want to save some money stay in one of the communities just a few miles north of Kaanapali Beach - Honokawai, Kahana, and Napili. There are a number of affordable condos there but not many of them have nice beachfront. The Valley Isle Resort (in Honokowai)is a real bargain on a nice beach and it is only about three miles from Kaanapali and six miles from Lahaina. It is a modest but very acceptable property.

A suggested budget might be as follows:
airfare $600 per person, accomodations $100 to $150 per night. Is this too high ? Too low??

Hope this helps !!

Old Jan 5th, 2003, 03:52 PM
hung up

Thanks for the tip Nova. I'm trying to stay around (don't laugh) $2,000. This is including car rental for 6 days. I do have some frequent flyer miles, but enough for only 1 free ticket. I would love to get some airfare for $300 dollars. (THAT"S a STEAL!!)

Old Jan 5th, 2003, 05:35 PM
Nova

More details please ! $2,000 for how many people for how long ?

Old Jan 5th, 2003, 06:18 PM
daisy

If $2000 is for 2 people for about a week, I think you can forget about ocean front. If this is per person for about a week, you are in the ballpark.

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 05:05 AM
Rich

If you're looking for a nice condo that won't break the bank, on the beach, try the Napili Bay, it's right on the beach of Napili Bay, considered one of the nicest beaches on Maui. It's only a short distance from Kaanapali and is away from the big hotels. We stayed there a couple of years ago and loved it. Also, try Honokeana Cove, it's close by and looks very nice also. Try these web-sites: www.the-napili-bay.com/ and www.honokeana-cove.com/ . You can check the rates for the time of year you want to go and also availability. Keep checking on Travelocity, Orbitz, and sites like those for airfares. They can change daily. Use freq flyer miles if you have them. Check this site for other peoples suggestions and investigate.
Good Luck

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 05:38 AM
Sarah

I never get Ocean View and I go every summer not to Maui but to Kauai. I don't know anyone that goes regularly that insists on Ocean View. No biggy at all hung up.

2000 might work on one of those packages mentioned above.

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 05:56 AM
Sarah

hung up the New York Times is always showing package deals. Are you near Chicago? What is the major paper of that city, Chicago Tribune? Get the Sunday travel section if one exists and look for deals. You just want to come on here and tell us what the hotel choices are, some options are better than others.

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 06:22 AM
Karen

loads of packages through Pleasant Holidays

http://www.pleasantholidays.com/weba...tyCode__.__LAX

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 07:55 AM
beachbum

Kip,
Since you mentioned it, is there lodging on Maui that will take my first born in exchange for a couple of weeks?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -