Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

HELP! I need Block Island, RI recommendations!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3rd, 1998, 09:20 AM
Kate

I am planning a week's stay on Block Island. Can anyone recommend some great beaches, restaurants, views, anything......? Thanks!

Old Aug 3rd, 1998, 04:38 PM
Larry

Lodging: try the 1661 Inn or the Hotel Manisses; either one is a safe bet. Rent a moped for sure to tool around since there's many beautiful views around the island. Good luck.

Old Aug 4th, 1998, 06:45 PM
Beth

If you can't get into the Hotel Manises or its sister try the Atlantic. We had a great time there. Also, the Blue Dory B&B was fun and a lot less expensive. Be sure to request one of the "partial" ocean views. don't miss the Manises for dinner.

Old Aug 9th, 1998, 10:03 AM
Kathy B

Kate, if I knew what time of year you're going I could give you a better answer. But, for now, Block offers bike riding, birdwatching, snorkeling, windsurfing, touring by taxi or horse drawn carriage. Rent a kayak or canoe, deep sea dive, parasail, fish, take a guided harbor cruise. There are more than 50 stores & specialty shops, over a dozen art galleries. Their Chamber of Commerce is terrific & will help you as much as possible-800-383-2474,
est. 63. Enjoy one of the 12 last great places in the Western Hemisphere!!

Old Jul 8th, 1999, 04:28 PM
Lexi

Beware of the Hotel Manisses. It's pricey and we spend four miserable nights there. Our complaints fell on deaf ears.
Stay at the Atlantic Inn. It's much better.

Old Jul 14th, 1999, 07:23 AM
Larry

Kate:
Other than lodging, I wouldn't worry too much about advance planning- Block Island is very small and you can rent a moped and see all the views and beaches on the first day of your week-long stay, then decide which one(s) to revisit.
Great vacation choice!!!!

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 09:58 AM
j

Could anyone compare the 1661 Inn and the Hotel Manisees to the Atlantic Inn? They both sound very nice, and I'm wondering which would be better for a weekend stay. Thanks.

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 09:54 AM
Sally

I'm trying to decide between a $225 room at the Blue Dory (oceanview, jacuzzi, etc.) and a $165 room at the Rose Farm Inn. Anyone with any suggestions or ideas?

Thanks!

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 08:57 PM
Jules Verne

Sally: Are you lost in a time warp here. The original post is from 1998!