Reload this Page >

Help! Going to Camden, Maine next week!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26th, 2001, 07:05 AM
Christine

My husband & I are staying at A Little Dream B&B in Camden next week. Has anyone stayed there? Were you happy with the accommodations? We're staying in the Castleview room. Is the B&B within walking distance to the shops, water or park? Also, we would like casual lunch recommendations in or near the area. This will be our 1st time in Maine! We will have a rental car. Anything we should definately see? Thank you for your help!

Old Jul 26th, 2001, 07:32 AM
T.M.

I visited Camden back in '94 on my way to Bar Harbor. It's a lovely little place and the poet Edna St. Vincent Millay was born there. They also filmed Peyton Place there so you can imagine how picturesque it is.

I didn't stay at that B&B but I do recall a quaint town center near the water. If you want to hit the road, Bar Harbor is up the road. If you love to shop, you can head for Freeport and the wonderful L.L. Bean outlet. Kennebunkport isn't that far either and worth a visit.

Regardless, you will find plenty of lovely little towns dotting the coastline. Enjoy your trip!

Old Jul 26th, 2001, 11:25 AM
Beth

I'm sorry that I can't help, but I too am interested in that B&B and would really appreciate hearing what you thought of it when you return. Hope you have a great trip.

Old Jul 26th, 2001, 01:38 PM
lisa

There is a great lobster pound a few miles north of Camden. Fantastic, fresh lobster and very inexpensive. It is basically just picnic benches -- very casual -- but you can't beat the lobster or the price. Perfect for lunch. I can't remember the name of it, but it was recommended in Frommer's New England guidebook.

Old Jul 27th, 2001, 06:16 AM
Christine

Thank you T.M. and thank you Lisa! We love to take walks and are looking forward to walking through the town to admire the houses, the shops and the scenery. I'm just hoping the property is close enough to walk to the main streets in town. We're also looking forward to a short hike in the park nearby. Lisa, I planned on buying a travel book on Maine this weekend, so I will research the lobster pound you mentioned. That sounds perfect for a quick but good bite to eat! Beth, I will definately give you a full report when I get back! We'll be returning on the 7th of August. Thanks again!

Old Jul 27th, 2001, 06:54 AM
lisa

Christine: The name of the place I mentioned is Young's Lobster Pound. It's about 15 miles north of Camden, on the water near the town of Belfast. Here is the writeup:
http://www.frommers.com/destinations...0102&tn=dining

We also enjoyed a little microbrewery/pub in Camden called the Sea Dog -- they had live music the night we were there:
http://www.frommers.com/destinations...0097&tn=dining

I hope you have a great trip!