Reload this Page >

Help! Getting confused on Maui

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26th, 2000, 08:17 AM
Robert

Hi, every one. I really enjoy getting the info from been there/done that voyagers, but am confused on where to stay on Maui for July 24-August 3. We like some beaches, a little shopping(not much), no traffic jams, and inexpensive to moderate hotels and eateries, in lush tropical locations. Where can we stay on Maui that's inexpensive/moderately priced, that's semi-secluded. I want to feel like I'm in a place foreign to Northern Ohio. If you had 12 days on Maui, what would you do and where would you visit to see pristine environs, a few interesting shopping places that are not overcrowded and easy to get to and leave from(little traffic), inexpensive/moderately priced restaurants that serve good food, and ditto with hotels. We don't even know which section of Maui to book a hotel in, which is drivable to the places mentioned above. Thanks in advance for your reco's. Robert

Old Oct 26th, 2000, 11:21 AM
Paul

I am not sure that Maui is the right place for you to vacation based on what you wrote. Maui tends to be moderate to expensive and overcrowded. If you do want Maui, I think you should consider the Napili area. The hotels/condos tend to be on the moderate side and it has a more residential feel than areas like Kaanapoli. Kihei is also a moderately priced area but its very crowded. Napili is well located between Kapalua and Kaanapoli that gives you access to shopping. Its not too far from Lahina. There should be hundreds of posts about this area that you could read if you do a search.

Old Oct 26th, 2000, 01:03 PM
lisa

Hi Robert. This is a toughie. I'm not sure there is any one place on Maui that meets all the elements on your list, so maybe you have to prioritize. For example, you want a "lush tropical location that's semi-secluded" -- to me, that sounds like somewhere along the road to Hana (and there are some B&Bs there). However, you said "no traffic jams" and "easy to get to and leave from" -- and to me, that definitely leaves out anywhere on the road to Hana.

To be honest, the part of Maui that best meets most elements of your description, is, in my opinion, "Upcountry" -- the various little towns on the slopes of Haleakala (such as Makawao, Kula, etc.) These little upcountry towns are populated by locals more than tourists, they tend to have some good local restaurants and a few interesting shops, traffic is much lighter than it is near the beaches where the major resorts are located, and there are B&Bs dotted around that are less expensive than the major resorts. However, you are still going to have to drive in order to get to a beach, and once you drive down to one of the major roads that runs along the coast, that is where you will encounter traffic. My only other thought on Maui if you really want to be on a beach is somewhere in south Maui around Makena. That is sort of the "end of the road," with nice beaches, snorkeling etc. and I think in some of the guidebooks there were a few places listed in Makena that were more reasonably priced than in other parts of Maui. We thought the traffic in the Wailea-Makena area was definitely lighter than in the Lahaina to Kapalua corridor. Think about Makena.

However, I am not really sure that anywhere on Maui is really going to be what you want, based on your description. It sounds like Kauai is more what you're looking for (especially one of the B&Bs/inns on the north shore) -- pristine, remote, lush, tropical, gorgeous beaches, not overcrowded a little shopping (not much), and more moderate food/accommodations than Maui.

Old Oct 26th, 2000, 02:20 PM
Paul

I also considered recommending the upcountry but thought is might be too far out of the way. We actually stayed in a cottage in Makawao last March and loved it.

Old Oct 27th, 2000, 06:26 AM
Joe

Suggestion: 6 days on Maui and 6 days on Kauai.

We did exactly that this past summer and it was great. Maui is crowded and touristy especially in July/Aug and couldn't imagine staying more than a week. Their are tons of activities on Maui, so have a blast there and then pop over to Kauai for a much more laid back feel. Kauai is gorgeous, uncrowded, and more what I expected Hawaii to be like. It was my first trip to Hawaii.

FYI, we stayed in the Kaanapali area on Maui and Poipu Beach on Kauai.

Old Nov 2nd, 2000, 03:48 AM
Robert

Thanks Paul, Lisa and Joe. Your input helped immensely in organizing our trip to Maui and Kauai. The tough part is not trying to see everything, and X'ing out some things while adding other things to do. Thanks again! Robert

Old Nov 2nd, 2000, 05:38 AM
maryp

I would suggest staying at the Maui Prince hotel in Makena. Its a Westin hotel, about a mile from Wailea, removed enough to be quiet and uncrowed, but close enough to enjoy all that Wailea has to offer. Very close to the Kai Lani Hotel which has some great restaurants, so you can save money by staying at the Maui Prince, and still enjoy all the luxuries of the other hotel.

I would suggest Renting a Jeep and driving where every your heart desires. Wailea is not a "walking around" city like Waikiki.

Most of all enjoy yourself!

Old Nov 3rd, 2000, 07:31 PM
Mary

We have found some wonderful and affordable places to stay in Hawaii through Vacationspot.com and Alternative-Hawaii.com. (The second also has good descriptions of beaches, special places and events.) I would definately touch advantage of your summer dates and stay up at the Northshore in Kauai. The beaches are wonderful there in the summer and the scenery is incredible-an all around good balance to six days on Maui. Look at some of the cottages and small houses as opposed to the condos for a more Hawaiian experience. The Northshore is a million miles from Ohio!

Old Nov 4th, 2000, 05:52 PM
Jan

Hi Robert
We just returned from Maui last week. I recommend the Wailea area. It's very lust, quiet and tropical, but can be expensive depending on your budget. We stayed in Kaanapali which has more activity. To me, Maui wasn't overcrowded, but then again it could be the time of year we went (end of October) versus July/August which is probably more busy. I would look into the Wailea Ekahi or Wailea Ekolu resorts in Wailea. Maybe you can get a good air/hotel package. Check Northwest airlines they ususally have good deals at those resorts in Maui. We prefered staying in Kaanapali closer to the activities/shopping etc... Wailea is really beautiful. You won't be sorry.
Good Luck!

Old Nov 4th, 2000, 05:55 PM
Jan

Robert
Me again. Sorry, I meant to say Wailea is very Lush, Quiet and Tropical. Not Lust...(smile)
Also Northwest's # is 1-800-800-1504
jan

Old Nov 21st, 2000, 01:59 PM
Rich

Get a condo in the Napili or Kapula areas. They are reasonably priced and in more secluded setting. You are within driving distance to plenty of places to eat and the beaches at Napili and Kapula are the best on Maui. If you want very tropical you have to go the other side of the island, but it too rainy there for a 12 day stay. Kaanapali is too crowded with huge resorts, but within 20 minute drive of Napili/Kapula. They have a great shopping mall at Kaanapali and the Hula Grill has great food and is not expensive. At Napili Bay, you can eat breakfast or lunch at The Gazebo which sits right on the bay and has great eats also. I'm also from northern Ohio and we just returned from Hawaii on Sat. Spent one week on Maui and toured the island. I'm no expert on Maui but we did see a lot of the island, if you have any questions, e-mail me.