Search

Help - Galveston

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11th, 2007, 05:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help - Galveston

Hi all, I will be on a business trip to Houston the last week of March. Have cousins in Dallas, but instead of going up there for a few days I'm considering asking them to drive down and join me for a few days in Galveston. None of us have ever been. How is the weather late March/early April? There will be me and my cousin (both late 40s) and her two teenage girls. Where to stay and what to do? I don't want to spend a fortune, but want a decently nice place within walking distance of something to see. I appreciate any help you can provide, and thanks.
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 07:08 PM

I am from Houston and the last time we went to Galveston we stayed at Moody Gardens (it was about $150/night). The rooms were nice and the food in the hotel was good. It has a nice heated pool and many other attractions there including the rainforest pyramid, an aquarium and a white sand beach (all shipped in, Galveston's sand is not white)! It's also close to the new Schliterbahn (sp?) water park. Part of the park is indoors and open year round. It can still be a little cold at that time of year, but you never know. It would be a 10-15 minute drive from Moody Gardens to The Strand, which is a nice area to walk around.
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 07:22 PM

Weather could be fine, but could be rainy and cool. You might want to have an alternative plan just in case. There's not that much to do in Galveston if weather is bad. In that case, it would be better to stay in Houston and get together there. Or you could meet in Austin.
Old Feb 12th, 2007, 06:30 AM

You might look into picking up a discount cruise from Galveston for those few days. The teens would love it and there are lots of activities for everyone.
Old Feb 16th, 2007, 08:12 AM

that is one of the best times of the year weatherwise. the water will still be too cold though. if you stay at the strand, try the tremont. sometimes you can get a decent rate, but it can run on the high end. if you stay on the seawall, i would go with a natl chain. some of the privately owned are hit and miss. stay away from the flagship. it used to be good, but went downhill quickly. do go to the strand, its only a quick cabride from the seawall. lots of restaurants, bars, shops etc. it might be a little cool, but yall should have a good time
Old Feb 16th, 2007, 08:19 AM

also, san luis at the seawall is very good, but expensive