Reload this Page >

Help for West Coast person visiting the East Coast - New England

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26th, 2001, 06:59 PM
ldsant

I have to come east at the end of the summer for a friend's wedding. I live on the West Coast. I am unfamiliar with what Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine have to offer. I am flying into Manchester and will have 5 days before the wedding. Could someone please let me know about places that are MUST sees? Any B&Bs that you would highly recommend? Thanks in advance for your help!

Old Mar 27th, 2001, 04:53 AM
Lizzie

Would be glad to help, but NH, VT, and ME cover a lot of territory when put together and I'm assuming you don't want to spend those five days in a car... Where exactly is the wedding? And, you are flying into Manchester, *NH*? Each of these states has tons of charming, don't-miss towns so it would be easiest to start by narrowing your options down a bit!

L

Old Mar 27th, 2001, 08:35 AM
Dougd

There is a lot to see and do in northern New England! Are you a hiker, beach lover, history buff? Manchester NH airport is very easy to deal with, and user friendly. However, the immediate Manchester area is not the most interesting. Upon arrival, you are ideally situated to either head for the Maine cost, the White Mountains of New Hampshire, or the Green mountains of Vermont. With 5 days, you can probably do some of each, although driving distances on back roads (especially east-west thru the mountains) can be time consuming. If you enjoy hiking, New Hampshire's white mountains are the place to go. There are literally hundreds of miles of trails of all ability levels, many with spectacular views. Vermont also has some great hiking, and some wonderful farm b&b's. Since I live around here, I can't really recommend any. The Maine coast has some nice sandy beaches, especially from the NH border to Portland. If your on a budget, Wells Beach has some inexpensive motels and great beaches. Here are a few ideas: Billings Farm just outside Woodstock VT is a great place to spend an afternoon - a historical Vermont Farm museum with lots of exibits and hands on things to do. Hanover NH is a beautiful college town with lots of great restaurants. There is a great auto road to the top of Mt. Ascutney, which is in central Vt on the NH border. Visit the St Gaudens Historic site (beautiful!) in Cornish NH, and drive through the Windsor VT/ Cornish covered bridge a few miles away.
There are just a few things in my neck of the woods, there are lots more throughout the three states!

Old Mar 27th, 2001, 09:52 AM
Beth

Hi,
Since you're landing in Manchester, I'd start with a visit to St. Gaudens in the Hanover area, with a detour to nearby Woodstock, VT. Then head west into the White Mountains to find "Lost River" and the Kancamaugus Highway to Mt. Washington. Then head over to the Maine coast, taking in Kennebunkport and Ogunquit. If time allows, proceed south to Mass., possibly stopping in Portsmouth, NH or Newburyport, MA. If you make it down to Mass., do the "Northshore," including Salem (the Witch Museum and House of the Seven Gables) and Gloucester (Hammond Castle Museum). Have a wonderful trip and enjoy the wedding!

Old Mar 27th, 2001, 10:02 AM
Tammy

As a New Englander now living on the West Coast, I would recommend leading up to Lincoln, NH. It is a touristy town with lots to do situated in the White Mountains. Beautiful scenery, wildlife, hiking, etc.

Old Mar 27th, 2001, 12:31 PM
ldsant

You guys are the best! THANK YOU! very much. This gives me a lot more information than I had. I didn't realize that there were so many things to do in these states. Again, thanks so much. If anybody else has any tips/suggestions, I'd really welcome them.

Old Mar 27th, 2001, 12:47 PM
John

Go to a bookstore with a good travel section (or search Amazon) and get a guide book of B&Bs or Inns. We use "Inn Spots and Special Places in New England" by Webster and Woodworth.
It would be best to find a central lodging (make reservations, it's peak season) or 2 and use as a base. So you don't have to spend time looking for a "motel" etc. There are many areas to explore. the "Down East" coast of Maine, the lakes region of NH, Burlington VT, the Berkshires of MA.
If you go South there's Boston, The Cape, and Newport RI
Good luck.