Help finalizing Maine coast trip

Jun 28th, 2009, 12:02 PM
Original Poster

Help finalizing Maine coast trip

We'll be making our first trip to Maine later this summer. We are trying to finalize our plan and I'd love some feedback.

Here goes-

Fri.-Come into Maine early morning around Ogunquit and stop at the beach, head up to Kennebunkport for a look around and stop at LL Bean. Stay in an RV that evening - can you stay in the LL Bean lot like you can at Walmarts? May head up to Bangor to see a cousin if there's time left.

Sat thru Monday - Acadia Hike, bike, eat.

Tues - go to Stonington and Isle au Haut to sea kayak ? - how long does that take to go down, kayak or go out to the island and drive back and then maybe camp at Searsport, Megunticook or Camden St Park?

Wed- Camden-Rockport look around, take a windjammer?

Thurs- hike Monhegan Island -or is this too many islands and which should we choose if we should only do one?

Fri head home : (

I'd appreciate any suggestions!
Jun 28th, 2009, 12:15 PM

I don't think you can stay in any parking lot in Freeport, but I would google the chamber of commerce and check it out. Personally, I think you're trying to pack too much in. You can sea Kayak in Acadia/Bar Harbor. Again, personally, I would spend an extra day in Acadia, relax, and skip Stonington. Then do Camden, etc. Either Camden State Park or Megunticook is convenient. Depending on the weather, you may want to hang in that area another day. Bad weather would make Monhegan less attractive I think given the ferry ride, etc. Again, I've lived in Maine for over 30 years and still not gone to Monhegan.
Jun 28th, 2009, 03:36 PM

I agree with the previous poster. While I love your travel plans, you are really trying to pack a lot in and I am afraid you will miss some great stuff because you are rushing.. In the Bar Harbor area, don't miss the Jordan Pond House for Pop Overs and Lemonade. Also in the Camden area, take a boat trip. We love the Olad. It is a smaller sail boat, but a great captain and you will have a blast. If time allows, spend the day Kayaking on Megunticook. We have had a lot of rain this summer and the lake is very high, but a beautiful, peaceful lake. You can also hike Mt. Battie from some trails that are near the Barrett's Cove beach. There is a small beach (ocean) in Lincolnville. You can also take the Ferry to Islesboro. Not a lot to do on the island, but very pretty, nice beaches and would be a great place to ride bikes.
Jun 29th, 2009, 02:46 AM

First, I would check to see if the Walmart in that area allows overnight camping. Some WalMarts have discontinued allowing this.
Second, I'm not sure where you would park an RV in Camden. Maybe another poster knows. It's a small town, very crowded. Rt 1 goes right thru town so there's always a lot of traffic.
We finally got to Monhegan on our last visit to Maine. There's only enough time to do one hike but we're not hikers. We just enjoyed taking a picnic lunch and binnoculars and finding a place to sit on the rocks and just look. It's a long boat ride. Check the lighthouse cruises from the Maine Maritime Museum in Bath. Years ago we enjoyed an all day cruise but now most of them are short. The museum is very close to the Bath Iron Works so some cruises get close. It's really nice to get out on the water but rather than a fast boat to an island, I think a narrated cruise is better. The sail from Camden is a good suggestion.
Owls Head Light near Rockland is a nice, easy hike. You can also take a path down to a small, rocky beach.
Jun 29th, 2009, 12:46 PM
Original Poster

I definitely have a tendency to try to pack in too much cindyj! That's one reason I'm on here so again thanks so much for the tips. It just sounds like such a beautiful state with so much to experience! We'll take out the Stonington and hang out more in Acadia. No problem with that! So we'll check with the Chamber for options or look for campgrounds for 1 night for the first night. We have reservations for Blackwoods but with no electric or showers for 3 nights that is ok since there are pay showers near the park entrance but I also found openings at Somes Sound Campground (west side of park area)- the only thing is it's one mile to walk to where the buses pick up and we really didn't want to move and repark the RV. Another option is Hadley's Pt Campground (all hook ups) which is in BH and the buses come there for pick up. IYO would it be better to be in Blackwoods right in the park or in BH closer to bike rentals and restaurants?
mswinston & dfrostnh thank for the ideas to do. Some I had down and I'll look into the boating and other ideas. Very helpful! I had just read about Owl's Head Light.
Megunticook has openings and I will check Camden Hills St Park. If anyone has suggestions on how to handle RV parking in the Camden-Rockport area please let me know. Maybe we just need to get going early!
Jul 2nd, 2009, 06:43 AM

I would go with Hadley's in your case. Its probably not the most natural and scenic campground, but it is convenient and you're in an RV anyway. Even though Blackwoods is in the park, it is not that convenient. As you'll see on the park map, Acadia is a little bit of a patchwork of donated lands. If you don't want to drive you can take the free Island Explorer shuttle to all the best spots, and around the park loop road. One nice idea is to hop off at one location, hike to another location and hop back on. If you want to rent bikes to explore the Carriage Trails you can do that in Bar Harbor. When you arrive be sure to go to the park info center and get info on all that you can do and then decide on your plans. There are RV's driving all over the island, so you can certainly take it around the loop road as well.

I think there is probably RV parking somewhere in Camden as well, I would check the chamber of commerce website before you go.

I hope you enjoy our state.
Jul 2nd, 2009, 08:03 AM

HELLO
I WANT TO VIST THE BAR HARBOR, MAINE AREA CAN ANY ONE RECCOMEND AN ITINERARY AND A LUX FIRST CLASS HOTEL.
THANKS
ELLIOT