Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Help finalizing August itinerary for Utah NPs (with a child)

Old Apr 28th, 2013, 04:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HI all- I have been researching an August trip to the NP's of Utah for a while now and could use some help with my itinerary and decision-making. I am a single mom to a 9 yr. old boy. He is a great traveler (plane and car) and we are both pretty adventurous. For some reason, maybe because Utah is so far from the East Coast where I live, I am letting my nerves about the trip overcome my excitement! We have traveled a lot on the east coast and to Europe (and me to many developing countries) so traveling is not an issue for us. Anyhoo, I would love someone to just remind me what an excellent trip this is going to be and the fact that I don't know anyone in Utah or that it is another world for us really does not matter.

My main concern is too much driving and too many transitions to new hotels. I have always wanted to see both the eastern (Moab) and western (Bryce/Zion) parts of the state. This is a draft itinerary. Any thoughts? Sound doable?

We are using freq flyer points and it is fewer points if we fly into/out of Salt Lake. We could arrive at SLC at 10:30am OR 7:30pm. I was hoping to take the early flight, land at 10:30am then drive (slowly) to Moab, stopping at the Price dino museum along the way (my son loves them.) I really want this to be a mellow trip for us travel wise (i.e. not rushing from place to place.)

Activities we would like: hiking, some outdoor adventure activity like jeep riding or horse back, ranger programs, definitely time to swim in hotel pool, etc. I know about some of the fun activities we can do (like the Fiery Furnace hike or the Narrows, junior ranger programs, etc.) and always open to new ideas. This forum has no many so I am not too worried about the activities, moreso about the itinerary (below).

Arrive in SLC and rent car.

Drive 1: SLC to Moab: 4 hours, including stopping at Price

3 NIGHTS IN MOAB
Drive 2: Moab to Torrey: 2.45 hours
ONE NIGHT IN TORREY
Drive 3: Torrey to Springdale: 3.45 hours
THREE NIGHTS IN SPRINGDALE/ZION
Drive 4: Springdale to SLC: 4.30 hours
One Night in SLC to catch flight next morning OR I can aim for a 4:45pm flight.

Questions: 1. Is Bryce doable by a day trip from Zion if I don't want to stop in Bryce over night on the way from Torrey? 2. Is 8 nights too few for this trip? Any other ideas?

Oh, and thanks SOOO much in advance. I am having some nerves and there are some unknowns for me about the feasaility of this itinerary so any help is appreciated.

Thanks.
Old Apr 28th, 2013, 04:43 AM

Take a night away from Springdale and spend it at Bryce.

That way you can slow down on Scenic Byway 12 and enjoy that more rather than just rushing through. That will give you time to hike into Lower Calf Creek Falls or drive out the Hole In the Rock Road to see the Devil's Garden or enjoy some of the other attractions in the Escalante area. Or you can enjoy the ride and arrive in Bryce in time to hike in among the hoodoos...something you'll want to do once you see it from the rim. There are great short hikes at Bryce.

This will also allow you to see a sunrise and sunset at Bryce. Bryce can be done as a day trip from Zion but you're passing right by anyway. You're adding extra driving on a trip that is already stretched.

Scenic Byway 12 from Torrey to Escalante is not to be underestimated...one of the most amazing drives anywhere.

We devoted on whole trip just to doing that.

http://www.pbase.com/peterb/utah_tr
Old Apr 28th, 2013, 04:51 AM

My only thought is, Don't go in August. We are a fairly well-traveled family and Utah is really the only State that I have returned to many times just to see more, so yes, we love it.
Old Apr 28th, 2013, 05:24 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Take the early flight and spend enough time at the Prehistoric Museum. http://usueastern.edu/museum/
You will save a bit of money if you stay the first night in Green River. My DW and I enjoyed staying at the Robbers Roost motel (no pool). The lodging in Moab tends to be more expensive.
There is a place that you can see dinosaur tracks "in the wild" about 23 miles north of Moab at Copper Ridge.
Please don't get sunburned. Carry the high SPF with you on your hikes.
Be sure to see Goblin Valley state Park and the petroglyphs along the highway (Rt. 24) in Capitol Reef NP.
Old Apr 28th, 2013, 05:56 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Utah is hot in August. But if that's the only choice then go with it.

SLC is an excellent choice for flying in and out as you'll be making an arc across Utah. Both ways the drive is easy and smooth.

I think the drive to Moab from SLC will take longer than 4 hours. Especially with a tourist stop along the way.

I'll try to pick sights that will not be too difficult and will be enjoyable for both.

Between Moab and Torrey, definitely allow a few hours to stop in Goblin Valley State Park. Your son will get a kick out of climbing all of the rock structures.

Between Torrey and Bryce Canyon.
I'm a bit conflicted about Lower Calf Creek Falls. This might be too hot and too long for a 9 year old.
Definitely go 9 miles down the Hole-in-the-Rock Road (a dirt road but smooth) to Devil's Garden. I like to describe it as a more grown up Goblin Valley. Pretty similar but still fun.

Willis Creek. A little before Bryce Canyon is Cannonville. They have a visitors center. Stop there and get instructions to Willis Creek. There's now a sign in the parking lot. The drive is an adventure (a bit hilly and curvey on a sand covered dirt road. But walking the first 5 (app) slots is very easy and really neat. A true and easy slot canyon. My only real concern is that you most likely will be the only person there.

Definitely sleep over in Bryce Canyon. Inpark lodging is better for sunset and especially sunrise as you'll be driving (I like Bryce Point best) in the dark to you spot of preference. Drive slowly as there are animals around. Spectacular sunrise. However, inpark doesn't have a pool. Just outside the entrance at Ruby's I'm pretty sure they have pool(s).

In Bryce you'll have a few choices. Hiking Navajo Loop down and Queens Garden back up is a great experience in Bryce's hoodoos. You are in elevation (over 8,000 ft) so stop for rest, drink a lot of water, wear wide-brimmed hats to protect from the sun and use lots of sunscreen. Another choice is a horseback ride in the park.

Bryce and Zion are about 90 miles apart. However, Zion is about 4,000 ft lower and much warmer. I'm not sure about the Narrows as it's a bit of a production, etc. Definitely walk Riverside Walk. Right near the start there's an area where you son can jump around in the water. The same near the start of the Narrow which is actually the end of Riverside Walk.

Another good hike form him will be Emerald Pools. I think even the first part of Angel's Landing (even only to Scouts Lookout) is too much and too long.

You can see my photos of Utah trips at: www.travelwalks.com
Old Apr 28th, 2013, 05:58 AM

I forgot to mention. While in Moab you can do a half day of rafting on the Colorado River. Call some of the companies to find out age limitations.
Old Apr 28th, 2013, 06:52 AM
Original Poster

Great suggestions! Thanks. August is the only option. We live in DC which is a sauna in the summer so we are used to heat . We are okay with orchestrating our outdoors time to be early morning or late afternoon which may help the heat. I will look into all the suggestions you gave and it sounds like staying a night in Bryce is a good idea. I think the in park lodging is already booked for the time we will be there!

BTW, is southern Utah less hot in June or July? Just curious.
Old Apr 28th, 2013, 07:18 AM

A few degrees hotter in July and few degrees cooler in June from August. All summer it is hot, but that does not keep the travelers away. Be sure to pack not only sunscreen, but hats, good hiking shoes and a way to carry water, and lots of it. With a 9 year old I would make sure every nights lodging has a pool. You are an experience traveler and will be, and do fine. The distances are greater in the west, and the scenery amazing. Have a fun time!
Old Apr 28th, 2013, 07:31 AM

Lodging.

Inpark is always better except that they don't have pools.

However, if there's a place you want, call, call, call!!

People book up a year in advance and then realize they can't go. The they start to cancel.
Old May 5th, 2013, 08:55 PM

Just a couple of thoughts--be prepared for a different heat. There is very little humidity here which changes the feel of it. In terms of when it is hotter here, the first 2 weeks of August feel like the last 2 of July--really hot . June is definitely cooler, and end of August the edge comes off the heat by a little.

My kids and I go to Zion regularly and love the Riverside Walk and playing in the river at the change to Narrows portion. You are definitely ready to get wet to cool off! Also, the Weeping Rock trail is really fun for kids and another cool pay-off at the end. Emerald Pools, Ranger station . . . it is a great time!

I would make sure that every place you stay has a pool!! My boys like a good view for about 10 minutes, maybe, but a pool to jump into at the end of hot, sticky days is a must IMHO.

Also, keep in mind if you decide to go off any main road that you really should let someone know where you are going, or have a call-in time. May sound paranoid, but the remoteness here should not be underestimated. Not avoided by any means, just prepared for.

The drive from Zion to SLC is really easy for the most part. I think driving up same day is doable, but could make a long day for you both. It takes about 4.5 hours if all goes well and we only stop for a couple of bathroom breaks, but if you hit any construction--super common in August, you could check projects on udot website--or if you stop for lunch, etc, it will be longer.

Sounds like an amazing trip! Hope you have a wonderful time!
Old May 6th, 2013, 10:55 AM

I would also stay a night at Bryce Canyon. We stayed at Bryce View Lodge, which is right across the road from Ruby's. It's less expensive and you can use the pool, etc. at Ruby's. You'll be just outside the park entrance, too, so it's an easy, pretty short drive to see the sights.

Make sure you wear hats and sunscreen and drink plenty of water.

Lee Ann
Old May 7th, 2013, 06:10 PM

Here are my trip reports on these places with children:

Zion:
http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...ids-report.cfm

Moab:
http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...rip-report.cfm

You MUST have a pool at your lodging--you will want one in August!! There is a cool driving tour of Moab rock art you can take--see the visitor center in Moab for the brochure. Stop off at the dinosaur nature trail north of moab. There is also an interesting (air conditioned) museum in Moab. Zion and Moab will be so very hot. If there is anyway to get up early and go out later, then I would totally do it! (e.g. if you are coming from the East coast, it will be easy for you to get up at 6am-7am-which would be 8-9am your time) The Red Rock Bakery (i think that's the name) has great breakfasts!!!

Bryce is cooler. But I would still make sure I had a pool
Old May 7th, 2013, 06:22 PM

It takes 4 hours to drive from SLC to Moab with only a quick stop in Price. The museum in Price is awesome--count on at least an hour. It is a great way to split up the trip! If you want to see the BEST dino museum, though, that is the Museum of Ancient Life in Lehi. Truly amazing and that is only 30-40 mins south of SLC. If your son really likes dines, I might stop in Lehi AND Price! And absolutely see the dino "nature walk" North of Moab.

In park lodging does not have pools, so skip it! I love either Desert Pearl Inn or Cable Mountain Lodge outside Zion. In Moab--I just stayed in the Best Western Canyonlands Inn--really nice and has a fridge in the room. Plenty of very friendly kid eating options!! Not really good food, unless you go to the Thai restaurant--or the very best of all--the Desert Bistro. But I wouldn't go to the Desert Bistro unless your son is a fairly adventurous eater. (my kids could live on nuggets and Ramen )

Green River is cheap but its a pit! I would much rather stay in Moab or Torrey. In Torrey--make reservations at Cafe Diablo if you like southwest/mexican food. Eat on the patio and your son can run around on the grass if he gets bored I like the Chuckwagon Inn (I think that's the name). They have fridges and microwaves plus cabins! And right next to the general store. Stop at Robbers Roost for coffee.

Remember that you should drink something like a GALLON a day in that heat!! Seriously. I live in Salt Lake and I drink a gallon a day as a baseline in the summer. More when I exercise. Sure, you will just excrete it out--but you need water. AND you need salt--so feast away on salted nuts and potato chips You will need to "force" your son to drink. My kids never get it. Buy him a Camelbak mule and that way he can take constant sips. Get yourself a Camelbak as well. REsearch shows you drink more that way vs. out of water bottles. It's what I use when I backpack, run, and bike.

Have fun!!
Old May 11th, 2013, 08:15 AM

The new La Quinta Inn in Springdale is another option, they have a huge pool. It should be open by August.
Old May 18th, 2013, 10:11 PM

Bryce lodging - Panguitch is close and cheaper.
Cowboy Smokehouse in that town is the best BBQ in the entire area.
Ruby's has an excellent buffet - rooms expensive.
Springdale - have confirmed reservations - not cheap.

If you are doing DETAILED research and can read Kindle books on your PC/Mac or E-reader, try this Internet site

http://www.southutahparks.com/
Old May 19th, 2013, 10:50 AM

I guess you could stay in Tropic or even Escalante (to see the sights in that direction as well). But there are reasons those who've visited all of these parks recommend inpark lodging.

Now, you have a different situation. You have a 9 year-old and a pool in hot weather is a good idea.

For Zion that would probably mean Springdale and one of its many motels.

For Bryce Canyon try to get something at Rubys just outside the entrance.
Old May 19th, 2013, 11:32 AM

Another option for Bryce is to stay in Kanab. It's about 90 minutes to Bryce. I was just there in May and most of the motels have pools..I stayed at Canyons Lodge and although my room was tiny, they have larger ones.

Your son may enjoy visiting Best Friends if he loves animals.

http://bestfriends.org/The-Sanctuary/Visiting/