Help? Could use advice for trip in May that includes Oregon's best

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27th, 2007, 04:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I posted last night to Washington part of forum. For some reason, I can only find my thread when I look under my user name. (not when I search on Hurricane Ridge or Crater Lake...which are in the subj heading)

So...I'm not confident that Oregonians have even seen my thread posted last night. Bummer as could use even further feedback.
For now, won't repeat that much here except to ask if most of you would skip Crater Lake in late May? (close to Memorial Day?)

Is it just far better to wait until the rim drive is open? (which I hear is unlikely in May?) Is a true summer or fall destination more? We had all of one hr there late in the day once...almost 20 yrs ago, when in college.
So was thinking of tacking it onto a road trip we'll be making in mid-to-late May from Nor Cal to the San Juans. Thought we might hit it *or* Olympic Nat'l Park on the way back. (altho' again concerned that Hurricane Ridge won't 'measure up' to the beauty we saw there almost 10 yrs ago when it was full of purple lupine in early July)
And not feeling confident about weather either in May. (altho' sometimes we have BETTER weather in mid-May than late May, odd enough) Mid-may will be our 14th Anniversary.

Help? Do more of Oregon Coast instead? We already thought we'd include Gold Beach to Florence area if time permits on our drive up. But we did the coast there pretty thoroughly only 4 yrs ago...and hit parts of it again, since a couple of times, too.
It truly is beautiful. Just don't want to totall repeat all of our trip, since the San Juans are a 'regular' annual thing for us. Would like to add a little variety.

I halfway considered Hood River & orchards behind, as they might be nice in May. But, seems too out of the way, perhaps. (and we again have seen that more recently than Ranier, ONP, or inland Oregon) Thanks so much!

Old Feb 27th, 2007, 04:16 PM
Original Poster

We could instead do a bit more time on Oregon coast & include something we didn't have time for...
we spent a lot of time near Heceta Head as we had a wonderful stay at the lighthouse there. And we had 2 nights in Gold Beach & 1 in Cannon Beach and near Tillamook, too.

But...we didn't have much time for Florence or its dunes. (which looked interesting) We're more hikers than ATV types, though. Only had time for a 1hr hike probably.

Also, there was some super tall mtn along the coast that looked like hiking...Cape Perpetua maybe? (not sure but saw that name in a thread last night) I suppose we could slow up there to explore that area, more but have no idea where to stay there.

Anything romantic near Florence or Yachats or similar other than the lighthouse which was very nice, but again...looking for variety here?
Was considering Tu Tu Tu'n as a splurge on the way up as it seemed so quiet & might be a nice way to start.
Could use all suggestions. Want to make this special if going for 2 full weeks. If can't come up w/weather/season appropriate stuff, I'll guess we'll just stick w/our islands this time, and just fly instead. (vs. driving from Nor Cal)
Thanks again!!
Old Feb 27th, 2007, 04:22 PM
Original Poster

Also, driving through Newport a few times, noticed signs to some Capes we had no time to explore. Sunset or similar? Can't remember the names. I believe there were some gardens close to there.

Are those worthwhile if one has done the Brookings/Gold Beach coast...
and Cannon Beach/Heceta area?
Or are they nice only if you live in town there? Sort of a nice locals getaway, if you know what I mean? (not saying they might *not* be nice...just questioning whether they are more noteworthy for their ease of reach to populations living there vs. other spots that are more far-flung) Thanks again!
Old Feb 27th, 2007, 04:58 PM

well, the chances of seeing much of Crater Lake seem pretty small to me given the amount of snow we're getting this year. and I'm partial to the coast. The area north of Florence is beautiful--Cape Perpetua has nice hikes and views, Yaquina Bay lighthouse and tide pools near Newport, Cape Meares and Cape Lookout.
I didn't see if you've done Mt. Hood and the Gorge. The Waterfalls along the gorge are fabulous in the spring and there are some wonderful short hikes. Columbia River Gorge Hotel is a wonderful place to stay.
Enjoy our great state!
Old Feb 27th, 2007, 08:43 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much! Thanks for the additional ideas for extending time on your coast prior to going to San Juans.

Yes, we have done the Gorge, but never in depth...always having to hurry through it. Do you know about how long to allow from Portland to Hood River? Ideal amount of time to spend
exploring along it? Thanks again.
Old Feb 28th, 2007, 02:06 PM

As for the ideal amount of time exploring that stretch, it really depends on what your interests are and what pace you desire.

The drive takes a little over an hour from downtown. There are dozens of waterfalls and hikes you can do along the way.

If you take the scenic highway I recommend stopping at Crown Point for a quick look if the day is clear. The view is magnificent!

The tallest most popular waterfall is Multnomah Falls. It is beautiful but crowded, expecially during the weekend. You can hike all the way up to the top and also beyond that to Larch Mountain.

For shorter hikes and different waterfalls you could just stop off along the scenic hwy as you go, getting out to explore and hike around a few falls.

Hood River has a few good restaurants and also some pretty wineries.
Old Feb 28th, 2007, 03:58 PM

Good recommendations from eurotraveler. Crown Point has Vista House, which is really interesting. It just reopened about a year ago after extensive rennovations. Another great stop on the scenic highway is the Portland Womens Forum. Wierd name, but fantastic views!
Old Feb 28th, 2007, 04:15 PM

If you are looking for romantic I suggest the Channel House in Depoe Bay.
I havent stayed there - only heard good things about it and dreamed of staying there.

http://www.channelhouse.com/