help almost have trip to Oregon Coast figured out

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15th, 2007, 02:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After intense seaching of where to go this is what we have come up with. Any further help would be greatly appreciated.
2 nights Portland at Avalon Hotel (opinions). We will drive to the Gorge during the stay in Portland.

Day 3 drive to Yachats or Depoe Bay for two nights hotel - Sea Quest or Overleaf(more help needed) or would the Channel House in Depoe Bay we better (we are looking for romantic with fireplace etc...

Then - two nights near Cannon Beach one at the Manzanita Inn in Manzanita and one at the Ocean Lodge in Cannon Beach. Last night would be in wine country somewhere before going back to Portland to fly home.

Any help on this itinerary and hotel choices would really be appreciated.
Old Oct 15th, 2007, 03:24 PM

My opinion is that you would enjoy Portland more if you stayed in the downtown area where you could walk around.
I believe the Avalon is in the Johns Landing area isnt it? That would not be my first choice.

Although I like the OverLeaf - I think my first choice would be the Channel House in Depoe Bay which I hear is very romantic- some rooms have hot tubs on the deck overlooking the ocean

You will love the trip to the Gorge
We recently stopped at the Maryhill Winery - beautiful views of the gorge while you taste wine .

Old Oct 15th, 2007, 03:45 PM

I agree with sunbum--try and stay in the heart of downtown. The Avalon is not within walking distance at all.

Since we live in a Portland suburb, we usually do day trips to the coast. When we do stay overnight, it is always at the Surfsand Resort in Cannon Beach. Fantastic property, and right on the water with views of Haystack Rock, and it is a short walk to the heart of downtown. I have not stayed at the Ocean Lodge, so can't comment on it except for what I hear, which is all good. So if OL is full or if you just change your mind, look into the Surfsand.

Our wine region has a few places, from elegant (Black Walnut Inn) to unique and fun (Hotel Oregon). Depends on how close to town you want to be. Personally, I think McMinnville is a great town. So when you hit the wineries, don't forget to stop in Mac as well.

A word of caution in this area. The police have a very heavy presence. Both for people who drink and drive as well as for speeders. The roads go back and forth between 25mph and 55mph, so you need to pay a bit more attention. I live on the north edge of this, and drive down to Mac several times a week and have always seen people pulled over.
Old Oct 16th, 2007, 02:00 PM
Original Poster

thank you all for the helpful info.

We are changing our hotel to the Hilton downtown and I think we are going to stay at the Channel House in Depoe Bay for 2 nights and then 1 night in Cannon Beach. Not sure if the last 2 nights should be spent in the Gorge or in the wine country or at the coast - any suggestions? If in the gorge what would you recommend? If in wine country has anyone stayed at the Best Western Vineyard Inn?

Thanks
Old Oct 16th, 2007, 02:08 PM

The Hilton is a much better location. You will not regret it.

When is this trip?

Two nights in the gorge is usually too much for most people. But if you like to hike and really see the area in depth, then it isn't enough.

I have not stayed at that BW since I live nearby, but the location is fine. It is on the south end of town, very close to the college. Not within walking distance to the heart of downtown, if that matters to you. If you do want that (that would be my preference) then look at the Hotel Oregon.

Old Oct 16th, 2007, 02:26 PM

I like the Hilton - it has a very nice restaurant and bar on top - nice views of the city - and you can walk everywhere- Nike Town is across the street.

I usually book through POVA ( Portland Visitors Assoc) because the "Big Deal" rates include parking and breakfast.

http://www.travelportland.com/

Have fun

Old Oct 16th, 2007, 02:34 PM

forgot to tell you that if you book through POVA you also get a coupon book for shopping in Portland and several restaurants too -

Old Oct 16th, 2007, 03:23 PM

Is this for the trip that you leave tomorrow for?
Old Oct 16th, 2007, 03:27 PM

Because Oregon's wine country and the Gorge are both within an hour of Portland, I'm not sure why you'd spend a night in either.

Of the three central coast hotels, I've only stayed in the Overleaf. Fireplaces in the rooms, and I think an unsurpassed beachscape view, but don't know if that makes it romantic...

Why split nights between Cannon Beach and Manzanita? They're only 15 miles apart.

When again are you doing this? Your last thread said you were planning to leave tomorrow, and included time in the San Juans.
Old Oct 16th, 2007, 03:29 PM
Original Poster

Hi guys,

Trip is this Saturday.

Any preference on wine country vs gorge vs more coast?
Old Oct 16th, 2007, 03:33 PM
Original Poster

Sorry, I didn't read far enought down.

We had to postpone and leave this Sat. instead of tomorrow. We had to exclude Washington this time.

We are going to concentrate on 2 nights Portland - 2 nights Yachats area and 2 nights Cannon Beach area.
Booked one night at the Ocean Beach Lodge, could not get two nights. Therefore, we were thinking we would move to the Manzanita Inn. Not sure about this Inn. Then last night somewhere in wine country (Friday)
Your suggestions are so helpful - keep them coming - still open to change.
Old Oct 20th, 2007, 09:36 AM

Hit the wineries in the Gorge and stay in Hood River overnight. You'll be able to squeeze in the Gorge and some Oregon wineries.

http://www.winesnw.com/gorgehome.html

Cathedral Ridge & Pheasant Valley have nice views as well as good wine. Erin Glenn is in a old bank mint, pretty cool location and their wines are excellent. Their Tantrum Red is one of my favorites.