Reload this Page >

HELP-Advice on airfare to Hawaii

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 1999, 06:56 AM
Melanie

My fiance and I are planning a wedding and honeymoon for March 2000. We will be flying from Atlanta to Maui on March 17, to Kauai on March 21, and back home to Atlanta on March 26. The travel agent here quoted me an air only price of approximately $14,400 including interisland flights(per person). We really wanted to do Bed and Breakfast and cottage rental rather than resort. She wanted me to go on and book now rather than wait on air/land packages from Pleasant Holiday, Delta, etc. She said since we were traveling during spring break we should go on and book. The package prices won't be out until July. But, at the same time, she was sort of pushing me toward a package with Delta,etc. Don't know what to do? Should we wait until July to see if package prices are better or book now? Any sugggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Old May 19th, 1999, 07:10 AM
Julie

That price seems awfully high. I would try another travel agent or try going to the airlines directly. You can also try on-line to get quotes with expedia.com or previewtravel.com. Inter-island airfare is only @ $350 for an island hopping fare.

Good luck!

Old May 19th, 1999, 07:19 AM
Brian in Atlanta

I assume that you are flying first class for that fare. Is it really worth it? It's usually 3-4 times the cost.

Old May 19th, 1999, 09:18 AM
Cheryl Z.

Do NOT pay that much! I'm wondering if the $l4,400 is a typo????? Please say it is. Even if it's $l,400 per person, that's too much for air only. And if that $l4,400 included hotel, still TOO much - or if it was for first class, not worth it!! Change travel agents if you have to.
Also, spring break varies a great deal all over the US. Here in Seattle, the kids get a week off in Feb., and another week off about the 3rd week of April, nothing in March. Here it has nothing to do with Easter. So while spring break may be a consideration, don't be pressured by that fact, it's not like everything is going to be completely packed. July is not too far away, WAIT to see what the package deals are. Try to get some info from Delta's Vacation Desk on your own. We've done that with other destinations and it worked to our favor. If you use AX, get some info from their Vacation Desk too, we've also used them with luck. Pleasant Holidays always has some deals going, so just do some research, be patient and don't be pressured. Congratulations on your wedding, and have a wonderful time.

Old May 19th, 1999, 11:21 AM
Linda

$14,400 for airfare only??? PER PERSON???? Are you out of your mind??!!!!!??????????????? Run as fast as you can and as far away as you can from that travel agent. Sounds like this travel agent is trying to make enough money for his/her own trip to Hawaii. DO NOT get pushed into making reservations now. You have plenty of time. Peak season is Christmas/New years - - other than that, you will not have a problem with any reservations.

Old May 19th, 1999, 09:34 PM
Becky

Agree 1,000 percent with all previous posters. What's the big hurry? As for" b and b" and cottage rentals, you can easily book them yourself by doing a search on the internet, or calling "Bed and Bkfst Hawaii" at 1-800-733-1632, or BandB Kauai at 1-800-822-1176 or contacting "Hawaii's Best Bed and Breakfasts" and asking for their booklet(sorry, don't have their number). However, be choosy about the places you pick, try to get photos and talk to the owners, as I've heard quite a variety of experiences (mine included).

Old May 26th, 1999, 10:00 AM
Shawn

eerrr..? Excuse me? $14,400 ? Do you get a house with that? I am hoping that you mean $1,400 per person which may be more reasonable. Even if you were flying first class 14K is waaay too much (and that's an understatment). At expensive times, airfare can run approx. $1,000 per ticket from the East coast for coach. If you get a package deal (e.g., American Airlines Vacations, etc.), this will usually go down in the package price. For example, my wife and I are booked for 5 nights on the big island for $1,000 each, including airline (coach), car rental, and hotel at Kona. This includes interisland transfer from Honolulu to Kona.
I work in the hospitality industry dealing with travel agents and like the others have said, either clarify what you're paying for or run and run fast.

Old May 26th, 1999, 10:00 AM
Shawn

eerrr..? Excuse me? $14,400 ? Do you get a house with that? I am hoping that you mean $1,400 per person which may be more reasonable. Even if you were flying first class 14K is waaay too much (and that's an understatment). At expensive times, airfare can run approx. $1,000 per ticket from the East coast for coach. If you get a package deal (e.g., American Airlines Vacations, etc.), this will usually go down in the package price. For example, my wife and I are booked for 5 nights on the big island for $1,000 each, including airline (coach), car rental, and hotel at Kona. This includes interisland transfer from Honolulu to Kona.
I work in the hospitality industry dealing with travel agents and like the others have said, either clarify what you're paying for or run and run fast.

Old May 30th, 1999, 10:42 PM
pc

Please spend a little time doing some web searches. I think your rates are way out of line. The packages should be out by late summer for the major air lines and also for hotels. You may want to go to a good bookstore or visit amazon.com to look for some specific bed and breakfast books on Hawaii. I have one that I got a Crown, but I know all the major stores carry them. Best wishes