Search

Help!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7th, 2013, 10:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help!

My husband and I are planning strip to Aspen. We are not planning on skiing and are not sure where to stay. We live in Chicago and are looking for somewhat of a relaxing getaway. Our plan is to do a little shopping, a lot of dinning and enjoying the limelight... Oh & possibly hitting a spa!
We are unsure what location to look for a hotel in. When searching I don't know if we should be looking in the downtown area or snowmass area or crusted butte.. we like luxury without the heavy price tag (ha!) We would like to be as close as possible to the "night life" "big city" area rather than the convenience of the slopes...
Thanks!!
Old Jan 7th, 2013, 11:09 AM

Oh, the fun I could have with the typos, but I will be nice!

If you want Aspen nightlife, shopping and convenience, then you want "downtown," not any of the other locations, for which you would need transportation by bus or car (Crested Butte is not anywhere near Aspen, as least via roads). If you're planning a trip to Aspen in the winter, that is high season and prices will be maximum. The slopes in Aspen are right there in town, so they can charge accordingingly. One property that is more on the budget side, but that has excellent location is Aspen Mountain Chalet. The Gant is also another lesser-priced property that I hear about. Otherwise, be prepared to pay luxury prices! (If you don't have to come in the winter, then think about summertime, which is cheaper and quite fabulous!)
Old Jan 7th, 2013, 11:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks or your help tekwriter
Old Jan 7th, 2013, 11:28 AM
Original Poster

Have all the fun you want with the typos! I am busy with 3 kids trying to get some quick info.. Didn't realize this was a formal convo
Old Jan 7th, 2013, 11:39 AM

Welcome Oak818! Here's some help, though I haven't been to Colorado

Most of the people who come to Fodors are asking for help. Though it's not at all a "formal convo" here, you will get better responses if you repost with a title that actually describes what you want (see examples other people have posted) and tag it with Colorado.

Many people only look at questions covering the areas they know, not the whole U.S. so tagging is important. And if you make the subject clearer, it also inspires people to help if they think they have something to offer on a specific topic.
Old Jan 7th, 2013, 11:51 AM

As tek says, you want to be IN town. It is a fun place and lots to do just for hanging out.
For the high end, Little Nell and the Ritz are there!! Hotel Jerome for the history of it--and luxury.
Old Jan 7th, 2013, 12:21 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
How to get from Chicago to Aspen without a car. Ride the California Zephyr to Glenwood Springs and use the bus service to Aspen (41 miles). http://www.rfta.com/
There are two old hotels along the bank of the Colorado River in Glenwood Springs. They are next to the largest hot spring fed swimming pool in the world.
There is also a gondola ride up to the Glenwood Cavern also within walking distance of the Amtrak station.
Old Jan 7th, 2013, 02:47 PM

We ski in Aspen for a week or two at Christmas every year, my favorite small town. Just returned last week and I'm already plotting my next visit. Aspen is a small town, no "big city" vibe at all, just a few blocks of businesses.

Some weeks in Aspen have very high hotel rates due to activities like the X Games being held just outside of town at Buttermilk Mountain, usually the last week of January. Snowmass Village, about 8 miles from Aspen is small and most people staying there are skiing the mountain. Aspen is where the high end shops, restaurants and people watching are (although celebs tend to be there largely between Christmas and New Years).

Plenty of places to stay but without knowing your budget it would be pointless to make a suggestion. A good resource for hotels is http://www.aspensnowmass.com/en/plan...cation/lodging There are high end expensive hotels all the way down to fairly dumpy cheap lodges available.

FYI, you'll get more targeted responses from people who know Aspen if "Aspen" is in your title. A lot of people who have experience with Aspen may not even open your thread to read what you are looking for.
Ann Marie
Old Jan 7th, 2013, 02:58 PM

You can wear jeans and a sweater nearly everywhere to dine in Aspen as many people ski all day then get comfortable. No need to get dressed up.

Just a few favorite restaurants, some of which can be reserved on opentable
Dinner
Wild Fig- French bistro
Above the Salt
Gisella- high end Italian
Pacifica- seafood, apres ski hour deals
Jimmy's- gazillion kinds of tequilas and mescales, "American" food, good deal bar menu but get there when they open because it fills up
Zocalito Latin Bistro- casual Latin
Matsuhisa- good sushi, high prices, famous celeb restaurant, hard to get a table at times
Popcorn Wagon, Order a crepe at the popcorn wagon by Above The Salt and stand at the openfire and eat it.

Mezzaluna for lunch
Hickory House for breakfast

Special dining experience
Pine Creek Cookhouse http://www.pinecreekcookhouse.com/ advanced reservations a must, ride a horse drawn sleigh by moonlight to a gorgeous lodge for dinner or cross country ski several well lit miles to the lodge.
Ann Marie