Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Helmsley/42nd St NYC - "Pretty much a dump"??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15th, 2002, 08:03 AM
arjay

That's a quote from a poster here that I just read on another thread and it has me alarmed. I've done the search here and have found a few other comments about the Helmsley -- none of them negative, let alone *this* negative.

Anyone with recent direct experience at this hotel? We're booked there in April at $129/nite and now I'm a bit alarmed. I'd had the impresseion that Helmsley standards were pretty decent across the board.....???

Thanks for any info/reassurance you can provide!

Old Mar 15th, 2002, 08:16 AM
jim

The person who said it's a dump probably is used to 5-star hotels, and was upset that her room service was 5 minutes late.

I walk by this hotel every day on my way to work, and it looks very nice. It is in a very fun and safe part of town, too. I think you'll be just fine.

Old Mar 15th, 2002, 08:56 AM
mimi

My friends stayed there last summer and had no complaints about their room. We stayed at the Helmsley Windsor and thought it was fine. We thought they ran a good hotel; clean, well staffed; etc. They are not the Pierre or the St. Regis but who wants to pay those kind of prices to sleep.

Old Mar 15th, 2002, 03:17 PM
arjay

Thank you both, so much, for the reassurance. I kind of had the same feeling...that the initial remark perhaps was from someone with 5-star+ standards, whereas our approach about lodging costs is pretty much like yours, Mimi. Thanks again!

Old Mar 15th, 2002, 03:23 PM
steve

I stayed there about a year ago and while the decor was somewhat 80's tacky it's not a "dump".

Old Mar 15th, 2002, 03:33 PM
marilyy

I find that the people on here seem to downgrade every hotel....cant figure that one out....

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 08:38 AM
topper

to the top