Helicopter Ride with Kids

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29th, 2003, 06:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going to Kauai in December and it sounds like a helicopter ride is the best way to see the north side in the wintertime. Has anyone ever taken their kids on a helicopter ride in Kauai? My kids are 5 and 9.
Thanks!
Old Aug 29th, 2003, 12:20 PM

My kids have been on helicopter rides on two other islands - Maui and BI. I have to say that 5 is much too young. It can be scary, and you don't know how a youngster will react. The possibility of motion sickness is another significant factor. The youngest any of mine were was about 10, a very calm,iron-stomached, and even then I think it was kind of wasted on him. Kids just are not into scenery.
Old Aug 29th, 2003, 01:57 PM

Ack- that's my opinion.
Old Aug 30th, 2003, 05:53 AM
koa

I second that 5 is too young for a helicopter ride. Also not to scare you away from the helicopter tour , but Jack Harter had a crash in July on Mount Waialeale killing everyone aboard. I personally feel the helicopter tours are safe, just make sure you fly with someone with a good safety record like will sqyre or interisland. Heck driving on a freeway is a lot more scarier than flying in a helicopter.
Old Aug 30th, 2003, 06:55 PM

We took our 4 kids ages - 3, 9, 11 and 15 (ages at the time) in March 2002 and it was definitely the highlight of our trip to Kauai. We used Jack Harter because at that time they did have the best safety record. Our 3 year old wasn't scared, but did sleep for about 15 minutes of the tour. Yes, a 5 year old might be young, but do you and your 9 year old want to miss this? It's incredible and our kids still talk about it.
Old Aug 31st, 2003, 10:02 AM

Not sure if it is of any importance
regarding children but Inter-Island Helicopters DO NOT have doors on their helicopters.They depart from Port Allen Airport which may be a bit out of your way if your staying on the north shore. We used them last year and had a great trip. It really is the best way to see the islands fabulous scenery especially with kids as hiking is the other option and some of the trails would be impossible with them. We had the "waterfall lunch" trip and would most likely skip this and do a regular trip next time. The food was a bagged lunch and the waterfall while beautiful wasnt worth the extra money to us.
ALOHA!!
Old Sep 6th, 2003, 05:00 AM

We just got back from Hawaii this week. We took my 9 year old, she enjoyed the helicopter ride (Blue Hawaiian) on the Big Island and she really enjoyed the Intersland one on Kauai, she sat in the front middle seat, I am not sure how she would have liked it if she sat on the side. We did the trip that stops at the waterfall, it was great.