Search

Heat & Smog - Denver vs Colorado Springs

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7th, 2005, 01:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heat & Smog - Denver vs Colorado Springs

Hello,

I am planning to tranfser to Denver or Colorado Springs with my family. My company has offices in both locations. We visited friends and family recently on our family vacation and really love the areas we saw (Denver and the Rockies).

In June the heat wasn't so bad, but in July my wife's sister and brother-in-law had been experiences some record breaking heat in Denver. During that time I was researching various neighborhoods we would like to buy a home in Denver (Littelton, Parker, Centennial) and Colorado Springs(North end - Black Forest, Briargate, Northgate, etc...).

On average tempertures were 5-10 degrees cooler in The Springs. Is this the norm? How about smog levels? I would imagine smog to be worse in Denver as it is a larger city. If you live in/around Denver how does the heat/smog effect your outdoor activity?

I know there are trade offs for living further south - further from I70 Rocky Mountain access/ski areas, etc... Also living in the lower mountains/foothills (Evergreen, etc...) would probably be cooler, but the commutes wouldn't be worth it to me. I really don't like longer commutes.

Thanks for any info regarding differences in weather and smog and how that impacts your quality of life.

Derek

Old Aug 7th, 2005, 07:31 PM
MaureenB

We did have record-breaking heat so far this summer, but generally the weather in Denver is extremely liveable. I don't like ot weather at all, but Denver is nothing compared to the Midwest heat and humidity, let me tell you.

And in the winter, we get so many sunny and mild days between the relatively rare snow storms, that roads dry up within a day or so. Again, not like the Midwest and other humid places where the ice stays around forever.

And smog in Denver is better now than in the past. Our inversion layer does create an ugly soup now and then, though, and that's just the fact of our geography. It's never impeded my outdoor activities, but I don't have asthma or anything like that.

I really don't know if there's a marked difference between the Springs and Denver for heat and smog. Maybe research the weather stats for the true answer to that.

The choice between the two cities will probably boil down more to cost-of-living, commute to work, neighborhoods you can afford, etc.

Good luck.

Old Aug 7th, 2005, 08:38 PM

Denver is the Mile High City - elevations in the 5000's. Colorado Springs elevations are in the 6000's - as a result, Colorado Springs does tend to be a little cooler - that's true in the winter as well as the summer. Most houses in Colorado Springs do not have air conditioning. The nights cool down and most houses have a basement so it is easy to keep things comfortable. Where ever you settle, I suggest looking for a house with good cross-breezes. There are a lot of tri-levels here and they don't necessarily have good cross-breezes - windows you can open to get good airflow going through the house.

Denver generally has more smog than Colorado Springs. It's just a bigger city. Parker isn't going to have much smog.

Colorado weather is extremely livable. We get more sunshine than San Diego. Long hot or cold stretches are the exception, rather than the norm. The biggest adjustment for me (I was raised in Oregon) was getting used to the dry air.
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 09:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies on these two air quality/environmental factors. We have friends and family that have lived in both places and were/are still happy with the climate and overall quality of life.

I guess I as get closer to narrowing my decision down I couldn't help but wonder about the record breaking heat lately and the 'brown cloud' I have heard about that sometimes sits over Denver.

I hope the air quality continues to get better with stricter EPA standards and penalties for major polluters (companies, vehicles, etc...).

I researched the Denver smog issue a little on the web at it appears that it was actually much worse 20+ years ago. I also read that in the 70's Denver had up to 200 days a year of unhealthy smog levels.

Do you think that the northern and southern portions of Denver might fair better regarding air quality such as Parker. Parker is higher in altitude than Denver as well. That might also provide slightly cooler temps.

ajcolorado I really appreciate what you said about looking for a house with cross breezes. That is someting that is harder to gauge when merely reading the MLS online. But it is an important factor, especially if you don't have a/c.

Thanks again,
Derek

Old Aug 8th, 2005, 09:14 AM

I think you would like Parker or many other towns close to Denver. I've been here a long time, and the brown cloud appears rarely these days, and the breezes knock them out pretty fast. It's supposed to be a secret, but--the sunshine is relentless, and the temps can reach the 60s in the winter. So, ski on Saturday, golf on Sunday! Access to nightlife, ski mountains might tilt the balance toward Denver v.the Springs.
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 01:02 PM

We live in Evergreen and many days we can see the brown cloud over Denver (part of the problem in the valley Denver is in)... but once we are in Denver we don't notice it. The tradeoff in living somewhere like Evergreen vs. Denver is a much colder and snowier winter.

I would personally never select Co. Springs over any Denver area.. .but that's just my bias.
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 10:02 AM

As other posters have mentioned, we do have smog some days, but it's usually just downtown and it's not noticeable most days.

If you do buy a house in denver or the springs (i live in denver) do NOT buy one without A/C. Twenty years ago in denver you could live without it, but sadly, due to global warming, our summers (and winters) are warmer than they used to be. Even if you only have to use it two days a year, it will be worth it.
Old Aug 11th, 2005, 10:53 AM
MaureenB

Good advice re: needing A/C in a home. We built 15 years ago in Denver, and at that time it was debatable whether or not to include A/C. We did add it, thank goodness, because we figured it was essential for re-sale value and because it's not much more expensive because it uses the heat ducts. We didn't think we'd ever use A/C, as we added ceiling fans in most rooms, too. But, we've actually used it much more than we thought we would. It is hotter nowadays, unfortunately.

Old Aug 12th, 2005, 06:21 AM

I am with Julie I would never live in Colorado Springs. If you are extremely conservative you may well like it.

Good friends live in the Pinery in Parker. When it was blazing hot here in Denver it was quite cool at the Pinery. Though others said the heat does not stay around for long and nights typically cool down. We do not have AC, we do have a swamp cooler though. It keeps the house cool enough to sleep under a comforter all summer.
Old Aug 13th, 2005, 11:46 AM
Original Poster

So far I really like Southern Denver(ie - Parker, Littleton, Centennial) and the Northern end of Colorado Springs. It is good to hear that the smog in Denver isn't *as* bad now.

As ajcolorado mentioned most houses in CS do not have AC as it is a little higher in altitude and cooler on average. I have been checking weather.com and observed similar patterns this summer. Even so I still think AC and/or good cross breezes would be very nice to have for those hot summer days.

For us the whole librals verses conservatives thing is irrelavant. We are conservatives living in a predominently liberal area now. But we would be happy to live amoungst either predominant group.

Thank again for all the input.

Derek
Old Aug 15th, 2005, 11:27 AM

Actually, my feedback had nothing to do with conservative vs. liberal. That just wouldn't matter to me.

What we did was figure out the top 5 things that were important to our family - and then ranked each town against them. And what is important to me could be very different than what is important to you. Otherwise, I just continued to be overwhelmed.
Old Aug 27th, 2005, 12:28 PM
Original Poster

Julie,

I was referring to one of the others postings that mentioned you will like CS if you are extremely conservative.

I agree with you that you should choose where you want to live based on your priorities.

For us political affiliations aren't a critical deciding factor. That is why in my previous post on 'Reasonable Commutes to Denver and CS' I asked others to not comment on politics. While I have my own strong political opinions, as I'm sure everyone else does as well, they are not relavant to these discussions.
I didn't preface this thread with that comment so I can understand why it might come up. I appreciate hearing views from both librals and conservatives. I would just like to stay on topic.

By the way my wife and I really like Evergreen. What a cool place to live. We took our kids to a park there (Litle Bear??). It had a great play area/jungle gym for the kids. While I was talking with one of the parents watching our kids play, several dear walked right through the park. There was also a little stream behind the play area where some children were getting wet (cold water).

Thanks again to everyone who contributed,

Derek

Old Aug 29th, 2005, 06:49 AM

Hmmm Derek... the Little Bear is the bar (saloon style) downtown! I think its the only place most non-Evergreen people visit...

We live up north in the Bergen Park area.. You were probably on the far side of town near Kittridge (I think you were on Upper Bear Creek). We get a few deer - but we get tons of elk.

In any event - good luck to you as you search for a home. It can be so stressful!
Old Aug 29th, 2005, 07:22 AM
MaureenB

Good luck with your house search. There seem to be lots of houses on the market now, for sale or for rent, at least in our neighborhood (historic Montclair, near 6th and Monaco).

Needless to say, though, remember the commute when you decide on a location. A place can look deceptively accessible on a warm and dry day. Colorado weather can be tough on people who have long drives to and from work, especially into the foothills like Evergreen.

Old Sep 5th, 2005, 06:19 PM

Derek,
If you are still trying to make a decision, we live 6 miles south of Parker & work in Parker. If I can give you any info, let me know. In regards to the heat, this was a record setting summer. I think you will be fine with a/c although we don't have it & survived. I think the air pollution is better, as has been noted. I have a child with asthma & the only time he has had trouble from the environment was the drought year when the smoke from the forest fires permeated our air.
Specifically about Parker, it is growing in leaps & bounds. You didn't say if you have kids or their ages but the high school in Parker is overcrowded. I think, a new one is to open in 2008. Parker has a good rec center, nice parks & a great library. We also have 2 new hospitals.
I ditto the idea of living by your work with the price of gas & traffic.
One cautionary note, with some winter storms that have "upslope conditions", we can get significantly more snow than Denver. Getting to the mountains takes a little longer, we are about 2 hours from Breckenridge (in good traffic), the trip it can really vary by time of day & driving conditions.
Good luck, if I can help with specific neighborhoods in Parker, let me know.
Betsy