Hearst Castle & Coast Drive

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5th, 2004, 02:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got a business trip to Westlake Village (N.LA)and wanted to add a day or so before I return from LA to drive up to the Hearst Castle midweek. If I start Wed. a.m. up Hwy 101, should I stop in Morro Bay or Solvang and do afternoon castle tour, stay overnight somewhere nice (?) and drive back to LAX via hwy? What is reasonable for single non-swinger who likes to explore? Must buy plane tickets soon!
Old Apr 5th, 2004, 02:30 PM

Sounds reasonable to me. I'd drive up Hwy 101 to San Luis Obisop and then Hwy 1 to San Simeon. I'd stay overnight in Cambria or Morro Bay. Cambria is more artsy, Morro Bay is more beachy. Solvang is ok - very touristy Danish village.
Old Jun 4th, 2004, 09:22 AM
Original Poster

Left Westlake Village/Thousand Oaks at 8 a.m., hit Oxnard rush hour traffic, enjoyed approach to Santa Barbara, drove over the mountains, through San Luis Obiscpo(sp) and pulled into the the Hearst Castle visitors lot at 11:20 a.m. Drove 70 mph most of the way. Took enjoyable tour 1 and then garden tour (with guide who was into history and not guardens). Enjoyed the entire afternoon. Drove up the coast about 10 miles to the "edge" of the Big Sur coast - enjoyed view and hairpin turns, turned around (carefully) and headed back to Cambria for the night. Stayed at the Fog Catcher Inn ($75/via tripadvisor)(delightfully cozy & posh beddings with gas fireplace) right across from fabulous beach walk. Rooms aren't large, but well appointed. Beautiful roses & steamy hottube were popular. Foggy evening/a.m. Decent breakfast (buffet eggs, cereal, bagles, fruit). Enjoyed sunset drink at Moonstone restaurant on the east side of Rt 101 just north of Moonstone Bay. Modern 2nd story restaurant. Went to dinner at Brambles - food & service disappointing. Next day wandered Cambria shops - many art glass shops with awesome & expensive pieces. Enjoyed lunch at Linn's - pot pie and ollieberry pie a la mode were truely excellent - great service. Wandered back, stopped at Morro Bay about 5 and collected 100 little silver dollars that washed on the nice beach. Dropped in Solvang to see it - closed up by 7 on a Thursday - cute. Drove over the mountain pass from Solvang to Santa Barbara - beautiful and exciting drive and then to LAX Sheraton ($75/starwood). Perfectly fine, parking $10. Enjoyed mystelf and even the 400 miles of driving - not your typical interstate driving.
Old Jun 4th, 2004, 09:39 AM

Sounds like you had a great time Thanks for posting the trip report.
Old Jun 4th, 2004, 10:38 AM

Glad you liked Cambria, weski. Next time try The Sow's Ear Cafe for dinner. Their salmon in parchment paper is fantastic and the house specialty is the chicken fried steak.

We recently celebrated my birthday there. Very nice! ***kim***