Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Headed back to NOLA ! (in August) Need some help...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30th, 2009, 07:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a frequent visitor to Nola I know all about the 'tried & true' venues for just about everything. However, I would like suggestions for 9th Ward tours or other options. Since I am not really a 'tour' person, the more self-guided & such the better. Also, new music venues, eateries, etc. Going solo for my B-day, as the wife & kids have pilfered a free week @ the beach which I could only take advantage of for a day & a half . So, Happy B-Day too me ! + it doesn't hurt that I am cashing in points, so it is basically free (until I start eating & drinking, anyway). Cheers ! & thanks.
Old Jun 30th, 2009, 10:17 AM
Original Poster

C'mon now, I know some of you can help me out...
Old Jun 30th, 2009, 11:46 AM

Well, it's not a brand new eatery, but when my husband and I were there just a couple of weeks ago, we had dinner at Cuvee and it was really outstanding. Not cheap, but the food was amazing. I highly recommend it.
Old Jul 1st, 2009, 03:16 AM
Original Poster

Thx katie, I am also a Cuvee fan.
Old Jul 1st, 2009, 05:39 AM

What kind of price range are you looking at for food?
Old Jul 1st, 2009, 06:42 AM
Original Poster

It's just me, so I am wide-open...I've been eyeballing Cochon as I've not been there, yet. Looks like 'Dirty Linen' night will be going on, on Royal St. while I am there. Have heard about the 'White Linen' party, anyone know anything about this one ?
Old Jul 1st, 2009, 07:12 AM

Check out Coolinary New Orleans - this sounded kind of neat to me.

http://www.nomcvb.com/restaurants/index.cfm
Old Jul 1st, 2009, 10:36 AM

I'm not sure how current you are on all the areas in the city, but one district that has been attracting a lot of interest lately is the Faubourg Marigny area. If you haven't looked into that district thoroughly, you might find something you like.

Another that I always enjoy because it's more of the "down and dirty" Old New Oreleans is Algiers and Gretna. Just for the experience, you should visit there.
Old Jul 1st, 2009, 04:13 PM

Check out the site of the Battle of New Oleans (Andrew Jackson/War of 1812) near Chalmette:

www.nps.gov/jela/chalmette-battlefield.htm
Old Jul 2nd, 2009, 04:43 AM
Original Poster

ccolor - I will certainly check that out. I know NeoP was there recently, solo as well & ate at some chefs' tables or something. I need to find that trip report & take a look. I am familiar w/the F-M area. I have always been warned off from visiting Algiers, as I've been told there is little to do there, Gretna may be too far w/out a car. I'll gladly take any suggestions re: Algiers. Thanks to all, so far.
Old Jul 2nd, 2009, 06:18 AM

SAn - I don't know where you've been so not sure what fits in your "tried and true" items, but the WWII Museum is very worth it if you haven't done that before.

And Pascal Manale's (Uptown) is probably on that list, but it's one of our favorite restaurants and often gets left off some "places to eat" lists.
Old Jul 2nd, 2009, 07:41 AM
Original Poster

dfr - very good, I'll take a look at both.
Old Jul 2nd, 2009, 08:18 AM

SAn - FWIW - Manale's is known for their BBQ shrimp (LA version, not SW). It's excellent as is their crabmeat remoulade. Also, easy to get to: take St Charles St trolley to Napolean Ave stop, then Manale's is a 2 block walk.
Old Jul 2nd, 2009, 08:31 AM

FIRST DO NOT DO A NINTH WARD SELF-GUIDED TOUR unless it is a driving tour and you take great care leaving your vehicle! This is not the safest part of NOLA. There are very good people there, but there are very bad people there. I hope I don't sound like an alarmist...I've spent mucho time in that area assisting with the recovery and had no problems...but, I just want you to be safe.

I lived in the French Quarter until last year (still in Louisiana). I always recommend two dining experiences in the Quarter: Irene's and K-Paul's. There are better/different restaurants, of course, but Irene's has amazing food with the best service...everytime I've been there, there is someone at the door to make you feel very welcome. MAKE A RESERVATION!

The folks and service at K-Paul's is comparably amazing. Call ahead to see if they still have the jazz or cajun band playing on the sidewalk...they also come into the restaurant every 45 mins or so playing as they go...ending up in the open kitchen where the chefs and cooks join in playing pots and pans...what a great thing to experience. A bonus (or lagnaippe, as we say) are those nights when Paul Prudomme, hiimself, drops by (usually on his way to play poker at Harrahs).

Audubon Zoo is nice and you get to see some Louisiana species. I believe that you can get an aquarium/zoo package with a ride from one to the other on a riverboat (maybe)...or you can take the streetcar down St. Charles Avenue into the Garden District and zoo.

Go to Magazine Street for shopping. A lot of great re-sell shops, coffee shops, little restaurants, etc. You can google their website.

Have fun!
Old Jul 2nd, 2009, 08:58 AM
Original Poster

Thx dfr & tt. I've eaten @ Irene's, never had the patience to get into K-Pauls. I'll save the Zoo & such for next time when the kids are w/me. How are the zoo & aquarium post-K ?
Old Jul 2nd, 2009, 09:21 AM

Do the Hurricane Katrina Tour - America's Greatest Catastrophe. See the reviews on tripadvisor: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractio...Louisiana.html

Personally, I'd just save that money and drive to the lower 9th and stop at Brad Pitt's Make it Right houses and tour the model. I'd also drive around Lakeview and other areas. But the tour will be a lot safer if you don't know where you're going.
Old Jul 2nd, 2009, 09:45 AM
Original Poster

I do kind of know where I am going, but I won't have a car. As much as I loathe tours, I think that is probably the way to go.
Old Jul 2nd, 2009, 12:33 PM
Original Poster

topping for the late nighters
Old Jul 3rd, 2009, 06:15 AM
Original Poster

ttt for the Holiday/weekend crowd
Old Jul 6th, 2009, 03:46 PM

SAnParis2,

Be sure to tour Lakeview:

http://www.nola.com/news/index.ssf/2..._by_those.html

This area was swamped with 12 to 20 feet of water, but has rebounded the most of all neighborhoods. Many residents are trying all different kinds of architectural designs and it makes for a very interesting drive. Ask your tour guide to drive down some of the streets listed.

Be sure to look at the slide set at the URL mentioned above. It shows some of the elevated (and rebuilt) homes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -