Hawks Nest Cabin: your recommendations

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 13th, 2005, 12:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have read, that some of you have expierence with Hawks Nest Cabin.

I am interested to know, if you have any good advice, which I can use for my stay in the coming summer.

Did you miss anything, which hikes should we do, anything else what you can think of?

Thanks tom
Old May 16th, 2005, 10:26 AM

We spent 4 nights here in Aug '03. Some observations:
- Bug spray - full deet. Not bad during the day, but evenings outside are rough especially by Wonder Lake. Make sure you walk down by Wonder Lake at least one evening.
- Hiking: You can bushwack right out the front door through the low underbrush for miles. There is a nice hike up the mountain and along the ridge behind Camp Denali. Very scenic and easy hike along the Moose River just down the road. Go upstream and bring your fishing pole, we caught a bunch of nice Grayling.
- Since you'll have your own car drive around Kantishna area and explore.
- Use the canoes Camp Denali supplies and head out on to Wonder lake. Incredible with reflection of Denali on the lake. Again bring your fishing pole, caught a couple of lake trout trolling across.
- Take your time driving in and out, stop often. This is really a treat in your own vehicle.
- Kitchen has pretty big fridge and full stove/oven. Plenty of utensils. Don't be afraid to bring good food with you. Couple of big grocery stores in Wasilla on the way up. Got a couple of cheap styrofoam coolers to keep our food cold for the trip in.
- It is light until almost midnight then again around 4 AM and the curtains are very thin.
- Camera with lots of film or extra memory sticks.
- Bring a book and sit in the rocking chairs on the porch with a beverage of choice while viewing the Alaska Range.
We got lucky and had perfect weather the whole time except a little rain on the drive in. We did come prepared with rain gear, but didn't use it except on our ridge hike where it was very windy and cool up top. Our family loved the stay.
Old May 16th, 2005, 11:42 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Dave for your helpfull hints.

How did you to manage to get access to the canoes? I understood, that access is given only to guests of Camp Denali/Northface Lodge.

How was the area (wet tundra, lots of river crossings) for hiking (would be helpfull to know if rubber boots are needed)?

Did you see many wildlife close to the cabin?
Old May 18th, 2005, 08:12 AM

They asked we didn't use them when there was an organized outing for the Camp clientele. Picked up the oars, life jackets and key then headed down twice. Canoes are locked up to the dock.
Only real river in the area is the Moose and I wouldn't consider crossing it - it's fairly big and deep. Different than the braided type rivers you'll see through much of the drive in. Area not very wet in general that we encountered.
Didn't see any wildlfe by the cabin, but there were a few fresh big piles of bear scat around. I didn't show them to my wife or kids until the last day. The cabin is surrounded by a huge field of blueberry and lingonberry (sp)bushes. They were ripe the first week of August when we were there - great snack. We saw a lot of wildlife on the way in and out though - just about everything except the wolves.
Old May 18th, 2005, 01:44 PM
jq

Dave,
Is the cabin back in by the lodges? As far as driving on the park road, you can only drive your car in and back out, right? Same for campgrounds like at Wonder Lake? We saw lots of photographers there in late August. Do they have driving privleges. Many were in vans and I have seen special with husband/wife shooting wildlife in denali.
Old May 20th, 2005, 04:21 AM

The cabin is between Wonder Lake and Camp Denali itself set on a small hill near the park road. It's walking distance to Wonder Lake, maybe two miles from the camp. The wilderness boundary ends just past Wonder Lake. We could drive freely from that point back. Inside the Wilderness Boundary we were supposed to drive straight there and back, but stop as much and take all day if we wanted to. We stopped many times for short hikes, picnic, wildlife viewing, photos, etc. I'm not sure what deal the photographers have. We saw that couple you were describing in their camper van.
Old May 23rd, 2005, 10:38 AM
Original Poster

Dave, maybe your are also able to answer these question's.

I saw a trail on my area map to the McKinley River (starting from the Wonder Lake campground). I assume to walk arround the Wonder lake will take some time. Did you find the time to go there during your stay.

Which area did you explore in the Kantishna area (I saw some mines on the map and a winter trail)?

Were you able to use other Lodge equipment (like mountain bikes) during your stay?

Is it possible to go back on the road during the stay to Eilson Center (by bus or hiking on the road) or should we do this at the day, when we drive in or out?

Is the interior cabin protected against bugs or should we bring anti bug candles?

Old May 27th, 2005, 06:24 AM

Didn't do nor try McKinley River hike. It would be quite a haul just to get to the Wonder Lake Campground.
Couldn't use the bikes, only canoes.
Only spent a few hours in Kantishna area.
You may be able to take the bus to Eilsen from Wonder Lake. Can't drive and being about 25 miles away not a walk either. I'd just alot time on the way in or out.
Cabin has screens.

Old Aug 1st, 2005, 10:51 AM
Original Poster

We are now back and had a wonderfull time at Hawk's nest.

The weather was perfect and we could see Mt. McKinley several times. The bugs were not so active as we expected for July.

The cabin equipment was perfect altough the fridge showed a defect one week prior to our arrival. But the fridge was exchanged and we had a new one when we arrived (including separte ice cooler).

The drive on the park road was time consuming. We did not see so many mamals (mainly moose & caribu's) on our way to and from the cabin.

We explored the park road towards Wonder Lake campgound, the Mt. McKinley Bar trail and we made a cross tundra hike starting from the cabin (I cannot recommend this, because of wet lower tundra).