Reload this Page >

Hawaiian Weather-Late Sept./early Oct

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25th, 2001, 09:25 AM
lorraine

Late September/Early October is prime Hurricane season in the Caribbean. Is it the same for the Hawaiian Islands? Has anyone been to the Hawaiian Islands during this time and can report any comments (positive or negative) about the weather and what they experienced?

Old Jun 25th, 2001, 10:42 AM
sktraveler

No, its not hurricane season there. I was in Maui last late Sept. and the weather was beautiful! Highs in the 80s, barely even a sprinkle, sunny, not too windy. I'd say it's a good time of year to go!

Old Jun 25th, 2001, 12:45 PM
Lani

No, it isn't hurricane season. It is my least favorite time to go, though, because it can be incredibly hot & humid that time of year, if the tradewinds stop blowing particularly on the dry, arid sides of the different islands. If heat and humidity do not bother you, and you can't go any other time, I'd go then but stay on the northernmost, cooler parts of the islands.

Old Jun 25th, 2001, 08:06 PM
Melissa

I believe that time of year (usually more in November, though) is classified as hurricane season, but for the most part, you probably will not get hit. Don't quote me, though! I've lived here all my life (35 years) and have only been through two hurricanes--Iwa and Iniki.

The one thing about weather at that time is, it's very humid. So wear tank tops, shorts, and lots of deodorant!

Old Jun 25th, 2001, 10:33 PM
Kathy

We have been going to Hawaii in September for years and love that time of the year. It can get humid at times, but nothing at all like the Carribean or the southern U.S. There is very little, if any, rainfall at that time, and much fewer tourists. Have never encountered a hurricane or even a storm.

Old Jun 25th, 2001, 10:35 PM
Koa

Hurricane season in Hawaii is from june 1st to november 30th.September/october seem to be the more active months in the central pacific. Unlike the caribbean, hawaii is north of the storm tracks, its usually doing el nino years, when the islands are more at risks from storms that veer north. Kauai was devasted in sept. 92 by a cat. 4 hurricane called Iniki.

Old Jun 26th, 2001, 10:33 AM
Lorraine

thanks to everyone who responded.
this information is great!!

Old Jun 28th, 2001, 05:31 AM
Lynn

September is definitely a hurricane month. Koa is right about Iniki, which happened on September 11, 1992. I know because my husband and I were there, on Kauai, when it happened. We'd had five beautiful, perfect days on Maui and had traveled over to Kauai for the remainder of our vacation, and the storm hit the day after we arrived. We kept hearing television reports about some big storm that was churning across the Pacific, but the forecasters said, "Don't worry about it--it's 600 miles southeast of Hawaii and won't affect us." WRONG! The hurricane, which apparently was unaware of the weather forecast, took a sharp right-hand turn and was heading straight for the islands by the following morning. Suddenly, our oceanfront room didn't seem like such a great idea! The hotel staff phoned our room at 6 a.m. and told us to pack up and get out, and they directed us to a local high school. We got through it OK, but I DON'T recommend the experience to anyone--a very frightening, stressful experience. Once a storm like that hits, the thing you must understand is that your vacation is OVER. It becomes a matter of survival, of just getting through a bad situation, until the Red Cross or the military or whoever can get you off that island, which they finally did, two days after the storm.

In spite of everything I just said, I'm not suggesting that you should never go to the islands during hurricane season. Just be aware of the risk, which ordinarily is very slight--we just had some very bad luck. Good luck with your vacation, no matter what you decide to do!