?Hawaii with my mom?

Search

?Hawaii with my mom?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9th, 2008, 09:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
?Hawaii with my mom?

Asked my recently widowed 70-something mother if she wanted to go on a trip (thinking like a weekend in Phoenix or San Diego) - and she picked Hawaii! I know nothing about this location and am surfing and reading away, but I hoped to get some insights here. She said she wants to do the 'touristy stuff'..... Any help narrowing down the islands would be a GREAT help!

While I like to get off the beaten path and hike/snorkel, my mom likes a lot more conventional items: she suggested a helicopter tour (oh no), hanging out on 'the boat' while I snorkel, maybe a glassbottom tour boat, visiting a volcano. She walks everyday, so I picture she could hike 3-5 miles if it weren't too strenuous (and maybe I could add on an extra loop while she knits??)

I can't picture myself in a mega-resort (I flew over Cancun and it scared me to death), but I'm sure she would feel 'cheated' if I found someplace more secluded.

This forum has helped me on just about EVERY trip I've taken. Many thanks!
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 10:11 AM
TAW

I took my mom many years ago...definitely go to Oahu and do lots of 'touristy' stuff. Then, depending on you length of stay choose one other island. The Big Island for Volcano Nat'l Park for example. Include her in the planning unless it's a surprise. Have fun! The trip I did is one of my best memories w/my mom.
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 10:23 AM

Two or three days on Oahu followed by a week on Big Island would suit you both.

Yes there's a boat she can hang out on while you snorkel http://www.fair-wind.com/

There's the volcano to hike.

Gorgeous gardens and beaches galore.

Old Jan 9th, 2008, 11:32 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I'd pick Maui and stay in Lahaina. A nice mix of a town with enough to see & do to keep you both busy, and easy to get to the natural beauty.

Oahu in Honolulu/Waikiki would be my other choice. It would be a good mix allowing both of you to find what you say you want.
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 11:37 AM

Ditto on the Maui/ Lahaina idea. Maui does have the variety of activities you listed.
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 11:59 AM

We've done Maui, Kauai, and the Big Island.

If your mom wants to see a volcano, the Big Island is the choice for you. Volcanoes National Park is wonderful; when we were there, you could hike out to see the lava flow at night, which was really cool, but the lava has shifted now. You can still take a helicopter tour and fly over. We stayed at the Kilauea Lodge - really charming, with a great restaurant onsite. For beachtime, we stayed at the Hapuna Beach Prince and loved it - the beach is gorgeous there. We also took a boat tour out snorkeling at Kealakekua Bay.

On Kauai, we took a helicopter tour of the Na Pali coast - it's honestly one of the best things I've done in my life. The natural beauty is jaw dropping. We also did a sunset sail with Captain Andy's, went to see some falls, and went to see the Spouting Horn. We found amazing snorkeling on Kauai at Ke'e and Tunnels beaches - just have to be careful of the riptides. Waimea Canyon is another big draw.

On Maui, we found loads of fine dining - this island seemed the most sophisticated to us, but also the most expensive. We did the Old Lahain Luau, watched the sunrise at Haleakala, and did a snorkel tour with Trilogy out to Molokini. Also drove the road to Hana.

All of the islands have their charms, and you could probably be happy with any of them, but given your parameters, I might do a combo of Big Island and Kauai.
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 12:13 PM

If she wants "the touristy stuff," you need to spend some time at Waikiki. It is the image most people have when you say Hawaii.

The Diamond Head hike is steep but not very long. You can see the Arizona Memorial at Pearl Harbor. You can rent a car and drive around the island, stopping at Haunauma Bay (you can just look down on it from the top if you don't want to spend more time), the Blow Hole, Punchbowl Cemetery, the Pali overlook, Kailua Beach, and all the gorgeous scenery on the "other" side of the island.

For an active volcano, you will need to go to the Big Island (Hawaii), but that is my least favorite.
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 12:18 PM

I meant Lahaina - sorry for the typo.
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 04:48 PM

More to see & do on Oahu than any other island.

Maui is a good choice for a second island.

Lots of info including sites with free brochures for all islands:

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...1&tid=34812564
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 06:27 PM

You could look into taking the Atlantis submarine. We took our boys, ages 3 & 6 last year. We saw dolphins, lots of fish and a shark. It was a lot of fun, and a possible option since your mom may not want to snorkel.

Happy planning!
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 02:07 PM
Original Poster

Had another conversation with Mom today, expecting that we'd stay at Oahu for a few days to get the tourist stuff out of the way, and then help her decide between Kauai and the BI. Was I surprised when she said she'd rather go where we could afford a hotel overlooking the water, and she was MOST interested in all of the beauty. Figuring out that the Probowl would occur during our trip confirmed it: Kauai (helicopter tipped it) and BI (volcano did it) it is!!

I've saved the fair-wind URL in my Mexico folder - thnx highflyer. I especially liked seeing the woman with the viewer and the innertube!

Volcanogirl, I'm interested in talking logistics with you. With us only having around 8-9 days total, I think we'd try to head straight over to the BI from the Honolulu airport.
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 02:15 PM

In places where you are going to be staying a few days consider getting an oceanfront condo rather than a hotel room. The price is usually less and you have facilities for snacks, morning coffee, even fixing breakfast if you so desire. And it is so nice to have a living room to relax in after a busy day of sightseeing.

Be careful of descriptions, however, you don't want "ocean view" or you may end up peeking out the corner of a window to see the ocean.
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 02:48 PM

Big Island for the volcano and Kauai for everything else.
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 02:49 PM

Oops, just read on and see that you're doing that. Perfect, perfect choices.
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 06:29 PM

Cheryl, I think you've made a great choice. Check out the Hapuna Beach Prince for beautiful views of the beach; we loved that view, and the beach there is wonderful. We didn't get a chance to spend any time on Oahu, just took the first flight over to the Big Island just like you were thinking of doing. On Kauai, we stayed at the Marriott in Lihue - only because we had enough Marriott points to stay for free; the beach there wasn't that great, it's on a harbor, but they do have an amazing pool; I believe it's the biggest one in all of the islands, and it's really elaborate and quite pretty.

I also forgot to mention that on the Big Island, we loved Akaka Falls, it's a gorgeous waterfall, over 400 feet tall, and the prettiest one I've ever seen.