Hawaii with Frequent Flier Miles

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13th, 2006, 08:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I would like to plan a trip (about 10 days)to Hawaii in August 2007 using Frequent Flier Miles through Northwest Airlines (from Philly). Our dates would be pretty flexible (any time in the first 3 weeks of August). We would like to spend some time on Oahu to visit my brother who is stationed in the Army. We also would like to visit another island, probably Maui (but we are flexible!)
1) Is it realistic to think we may have a chance of getting tickets? I know that you have to call 330 days in advance but did not want to get my hopes up if it would not happen!
2) If we could not find availability for the entire trip, would it make sense to pay to fly to the west coast and then use miles to get to Hawaii? Could we do this on one ticket so we don't have problems with connections?

Thanks!
Old Apr 13th, 2006, 09:07 PM

The hard flights are usually the ones to Hawaii, so flying to the west coast would likely be the sections you'll get FF miles if any. NWA is having a lot more empty seats these days though, so maybe you'll get lucky..just keep trying!
Old Apr 13th, 2006, 09:20 PM

We went to Hawaii last August for 19 days. Loved it. We went with frequent flyer miles from Delta. I called every day a couple of times and was able to get them. I called in January for August. You will not have any trouble. Just keep on calling.
If you get someone who you think is not willing to look for you, after they give you a no, wait a few minutes and call again. That is how I was able to get ours. We were even able to fly out from Maui for back home to NY. Let me know when you finally get them.
Old Apr 14th, 2006, 03:30 AM

I have twice flown to Hawaii from Syracuse NY using FF miles. Once on Delta and once on AA. I think you have a great chance for success since your trip is in August 07'. Since you are flexible with your dates you should have no problem but don't delay making the reservation. Call 330 days ahead as you already know.
Good luck!
Annika
Old Apr 14th, 2006, 03:36 AM

We have used frequent flier points twice to take our family of five to Hawaii. My husband and I are going in October, also using frequent flier miles. Persistance is what it takes, I think. If you don't get the answer you want from an agent, wait a few minutes or a few days and then call back. Being flexible and persistent are the keys to getting tickets!
Old Apr 14th, 2006, 04:54 AM
Neopolitan

All but annikany seem to have missed the idea that you can call the minute they go on sale, so persistance and keep trying don't mean a lot here. Even a few days before your first possible date, I'd call and confirm when you can reserve. With American, I've actually gotten tickets a couple days before the supposed limit -- they seem to load several days at once, particularly before a weekend. And if you will still be flexible with your three weeks of possible dates, there is no reason to think that within the 21 days of potential calling, you won't get first shot on tickets for one of those days!!

You are only looking for 2 tickets right? More than that becomes much harder.

Old Apr 14th, 2006, 07:19 AM

I think that you will get your tickets as long as you (A) plan and call ahead of time and (B) and as others have said you have to be flexible. Flexibility is the key....Also NWA currently have flights to Honolulu, Maui and Kona and they fly from SFO, LAX, MSP,SEA and PDX.

Hopefully they will have the same routing in Aug 07. If you are using your FF miles then you know that you will be able to redeem your miles on their partner airlines as well such as Delta and Continental.

Have fun in Hawaii