Reload this Page >

Hawaii? Which island would you visit?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12th, 1999, 07:41 PM
Jerry

We are thinking of going to Hawaii for our 25th wedding anniversary next year. Which island would you visit? What is the weather like in June? Thanks.

Old Oct 12th, 1999, 08:39 PM
Noah

Based on what I have read and heard, Kauai appeals to me the most. It is supposed to be the lushest and not be too-highly developed.

I suggest you go to frommers.com and read their info. on the dif Hawaiian islands. I saw some 'budget' accomodations in Kauai listed there which looked very nice. They list accomodations in all categories.

Here are some more url's for you:

http://www.gohawaii.com (official)

http://planet-hawaii.com

http://www.theinsider.com/aloha/index.html

http://www.travel-hawaii.com/

http://www.sheraton-hawaii.com/sh-bin/live.asp

Keep us updated!

Old Oct 13th, 1999, 07:10 AM
linda w

My husband and I spent our honeymoon in Kauai and Maui three years ago and I would recommend both Isalnds to you. Kauai is absolutely goregous and unspoiled versus Maui is a bit more built up.

If you can afford to stay at the Hyatt, they have beautiful hotels on both islands.

Have a great time.

Old Oct 13th, 1999, 07:53 AM
Victoria

I agree. Kauai. I just went through the whole process of trying to work out the best place to go. It's lush beyond belief, with so much to do - like hiking, kayaking, snorkelling and lying on wonderful beaches (Tunnels was my favourite). I can't wait to go back there.

Victoria

Old Oct 13th, 1999, 05:53 PM
martin

Jerry:
You'll find the islands each have a different personality and appeal to different people accordingly.
Kauai is the most lush in terms of vegetation with some of the most beautiful scenery. It is quiet. Less in the way of shopping/tourist stuff. Fewer luxury hotels than Oahu/Maui/Big Island. Appeals especially to those who like hiking and outdoor adventuring, as well as privacy. Weather in hotel areas is not quite as predictable.
Maui is much more developed with plenty of restaurants and moderate shopping. Appeals to a broader cross section than other islands. The largest number of luxury hotels. The Wailea and Kaanapali areas are the main towns with good beaches. Very predictable weather.
Hawaii is big. A lot of different types of scenery/weather etc. on different parts of the island. Not a whole lot of development/restaurants/shopping outside Hilo, which is not a tourist mecca. Lots to see and do though. But a car is critical.
Oahu is the touristiest, but areas outside Honolulu continue to develop their own flavor. There's a bit of diversity if you drive up north, but most of the hotels are in and around Honolulu, which feels like a lot of other larger cities on the mainland (if you ignore the view of the ocean).
Lanai is probably not your best bet for a first visit unless you want complete privacy, seclusion. It has 2 great resorts, but nil for amenities outside them. Some would say, "and why is that a problem". I've not visited Lanai. It is visible from Maui.

Old Oct 14th, 1999, 08:49 AM
larry

The Kauai and Maui combo seems to be pretty popular if you look at the posts on the board. that was our honeymoon last march. we also had a night (layover) in Honolulu, which I would plan to avoid if we did it again. Kauai was 1st to unwind from the stress and excitement of the big event and it was the right choice for that purpose. Maui has more in terms of activities. If you have the time for two islands, I think these are the two. If its only one, of course, it depends on what you want. If its in your budget, the Hyatt on Kauai is great.

Old Oct 15th, 1999, 05:43 PM
stace

we are thinking of staying at the grand wailea in maui. any comments?

Old Oct 16th, 1999, 10:09 PM
Heidi

Aloha All....
Maui No Ka Oi ( Maui Is The Best)
We have again been voted the best island
in the world by both Conde Nast and Travel & Leasure . We have three
of the top 10 resort hotels in the world
here in Maui county..
1. Manele Bay Resort on Lanai
2. Ritz Carlton up in Kapalua
3. The Kea Lani and
4. The Grand Wailea ..both in Wailea
We have some of the top world chefs
working in some of the best restaurants
you will ever have the chance to eat in.. Pacifico's and Io's both located
at 505 Front St., A land mark on Maui
Longies and Kimos...or how about
Roys Bar and Grill or the Plantation
House up in Kapalua...this is just a
very small sample of some of the
great restaurants we have to offer.
Now as for beaches...
Kapalua Bay has been chosen time and
time again as one of the most beautiful
in the world...along with Kaanapali
beach .
How about a volcanic crater...we have
Haleakala you can fit New York's
Mannhatten inside of it. We also
have the only Pineapple Winery
in the world...Teduschi Winery in
"Up Country" Maui along wit our beloved
cowboy town of Makawao...
And of couse I cannot leave out world
famous Hana and the pool's of Oheo.

Soooo you see....
Maui No Ka Oi (MAUI IS THE BEST)

Have A Maui Wonderful Day...

Mahalo,
[email protected]

Old Oct 16th, 1999, 10:23 PM
Marla

If only one island: Kauai, Kauai, Kauai. Weather: rainy but warm North Coas (Hanalei, Princeville) sunny south (Poipu, etc) mixture in bewtween (Kapaa/Coconut Coast)

Old Oct 17th, 1999, 06:35 AM
Gordon

Hi Jerry
We visted the islands for out 25th anniversary a few years ago. We are now frequent visitors to Maui (go for 2-3 weeks each year)
It depends on what you like to do as each island is different. We visted Kaui, Ohau, Maui and the Big Island on our anniversary trip. If you do not mind packing and unpacking and it is your first time I would suggest that you have your travel agent set up a multi island trip with at least 4 days on each with a rental car except for Oahu where a one day rental is enough.This would give you a chance to see each island.
We found each island had good accomodations and and food.
We did this and feel in love with Maui as it is laid back in Keihi and nightlife if you want in Kannipali
go and enjoy

Old Oct 19th, 1999, 09:09 AM
J.

Nobody mentioned Molokai yet, so..... If you like no hassle, no traffic, no crowds and complete peace and privacy, you might want to check into Molokai. It's supposed to be the most Hawaiian of the islands. We had a wonderful time there, did a lot of outdoor activities like hiking, biking, swimming. We also relaxed on deserted beaches in complete privacy.

A visit to the secluded settlement for leprosy patients was a very moving experience, as was the mule ride down the 1000 foot sea-cliffs to get there.

I would say that Molokai would appeal to people who hate crowds, and who wish to "direct" their own vacation. It's not at all a "resort-type" place, although there are a couple of lovely condo complexes (Paniolo Hale), and the Molokai Ranch which offers a meals-included plan.

Old Oct 20th, 1999, 12:27 PM
Anne

Hands down, my favorite is Kauai. I lived there for 3 months several years ago. It's beautiful beyond words. I've visited other Hawaiian Islands and found Maui to be too built up and crowded, Molokai I liked but it's not for everyone as it's very quiet, I didn't care for Oahu due to the crowds (HATED Waikiki; it reminded me of NYC in the middle of the ocean) and the Big Island was okay, but nothing compared to Kauai. Lots to do, wonderful people and it feels like the "real Hawaii" versus some of the other islands that seemed "plastic". Have a great time!

Old Oct 20th, 1999, 12:29 PM
Anne

Hands down, my favorite is Kauai. I lived there for 3 months several years ago. It's beautiful beyond words. I've visited other Hawaiian Islands and found Maui to be too built up and crowded, Molokai I liked but it's not for everyone as it's very quiet, I didn't care for Oahu due to the crowds (HATED Waikiki; it reminded me of NYC in the middle of the ocean) and the Big Island was okay, but nothing compared to Kauai. Lots to do, beautiful scenery, wonderful people and it feels like the "real Hawaii" versus some of the other islands that seemed "plastic". Have a great time!

Old Oct 20th, 1999, 04:07 PM
Alisa

I would also say Kauai. It is absolutely beautiful. However, be warned that there is NO nightlife on the island. Lots of activities during the day, though. And, so gorgeous.